What's new

Dirty Bird or Schwarzweisskeramik

Which is the better scuttle? I bowl lather and want the lather to stay warm and toasty for four passes and touch ups. The Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle is about $87 and the Dirty Bird scuttle is $42.

they both get rave reviews...i will leave it to someone that has or has had both. im sure theres got to be SOMEONE on the forum that has :)

I only own a Dirty Bird and am quite partial to it. I know this doesn't help you in making a decision, but just wanted you to know that I am happy with mine.

DL

I have a large Moss Scuttle and a Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle & Lather Bowl. I used the Moss for nearly a year and it was good for building lather but a bit too roomy to contain the heat in the brush. A smaller Moss might have done a better job at retaining heat, but I would have probably wanted a seperate bowl to build my lather in.
The Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle is a two piece setup with a large vessel to hold hot water and a conical insert to hold a loaded brush. You will need a seperate bowl to build the lather in and you can get one that matches the scuttle, I did. I love this thing It does add to the number of items I need to set up for my shave. I don't mind as I am never pressed for time to shave and routinely alot myself at least half an hour after I shower.
Bottom line, the Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle keeps my lather and brush very toasty If you opt for a one-piece scuttle of any make, be sure that your brush fits into it snugly so it will retain the most heat. You will probably need to build your lather in a seperate bowl and then keep it in a warm scuttle during your shave, but you will get warm lather for all of your passes.
Sorry to be so wordy but I should also add that high heat can degrade lather but that really shouldn't be a problem if your lather is deep in the brush and you develop some face lathering skills. I can always rebuild a really good lather on my face for my second and third passes. Nothing beats hot lather ... nothing.
Good luck, I am certain you will be happy with your choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom