What's new

Fatboy- last years of production?

Afternoon gents;

Just a quick question:

What was the last year for the Fatboy? Was it 1961?

If it was I'm kinda mad. I'd prefer my birthday razor (1963) to be a Fatboy rather than a Slim-adjustable or a 50's-style SS. But from what I see on the dating chart it appears that I am SOL.

Funny how the 40's-style SS continues into the 1950's. :tongue_sm

Cheers.

Last edited:
My understanding is the Fatboy 'G' dates were the last of this breed. 'H' codes started off the Slim adjustables, and by '63 only the slim adjustables were being produced, along with Superspeeds and 3 piece Techs. You'll have to make do with one of those for a birthday razor.

If it's any consolation, I consider the slim adjustable to be superior to the Fatboy it replaced.

-- John Gehman

"G" was the last FatBoy and the first Slim Adjustable. 1963 you have Lady Gillette, Slim Adjustable, Super-Speed and Tech´s

The SS and Slim Adjustable are both great razors. Maybe for your birthday you could buy yourself either of the '63s in excellent to near mint condition. Or you could buy something from the year you started shaving. In any case, happy birthday! :biggrin:

I've often wondered if Gillette ever gave reasons ( or anybody knows them) why they stopped making a certain style of razor?
I'm thinking particularly of the fatboy but given that they are still working fine for many people even now it couldnt have been anything other than the need to get people to buy a more modern looking razor im guessing

Thoughts or knowledge welcomed

Oh thanks man, but that isn't until October. :blushing:

Some members just like to buy razor(s) that correspond to their year of birth. Alas it appears that I won't be able to get anything too cool.

Cheers.

It was just easier for me to start my collection with a Fatboy from the year I started shaving. I'm slow trolling for a birth-year razor: 1949 SS or Milord. It'll take some time and work because the production code didn't start until 1950, so I'll need the plastic case for an ID.

And one can never start planning one's birthday gift list too soon! :thumbup:

Oh thanks man, but that isn't until October. :blushing:

Some members just like to buy razor(s) that correspond to their year of birth. Alas it appears that I won't be able to get anything too cool.

Cheers.

Don't feel too bad, all I have to choose from is the black handle Super Speeds or the black handle Super Adjustable. I'd love to have had the chance to find a nice birth year Lady Gillette :wink: :lol:

It was just easier for me to start my collection with a Fatboy from the year I started shaving. I'm slow trolling for a birth-year razor: 1949 SS or Milord. It'll take some time and work because the production code didn't start until 1950, so I'll need the plastic case for an ID.

And one can never start planning one's birthday gift list too soon! :thumbup:

You'll be able to pick out the Milord easy enough without the case....

Don't feel too bad, all I have to choose from is the black handle Super Speeds or the black handle Super Adjustable. I'd love to have had the chance to find a nice birth year Lady Gillette :wink: :lol:

They Black SS is a fine shaving razor....If I were you, I'd pick one up and give it a go.

They Black SS is a fine shaving razor....If I were you, I'd pick one up and give it a go.

I actually have all but one quarter of the '78 SS and a Y-2 Super Adjustable. I don't mind them, but prefer some others. If I had others to choose from that would give me a great reason to NEED more razors, not just want them.:wink:

I actually have all but one quarter of the '78 SS and a Y-2 Super Adjustable. I don't mind them, but prefer some others. If I had others to choose from that would give me a great reason to NEED more razors, not just want them.:wink:

Come on now, there are hundreds of reasons to need more razors besides your birth date razor....:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom