What's new

Futur Set Brush: Silvertip or Pure badger?

Classicshaving catalog states "Silvertip"...on DOVO catalog states Pure Badger???:confused: Any thought about it?!??

Classicshaving catalog states "Silvertip"...on DOVO catalog states Pure Badger???:confused: Any thought about it?!??

No reason it can't be both. I'm 99% certain that the Merkur brush that came with my Vision set is a silvertip (which should also mean that it is 100% badger).

Of course, I'm no expert on the matter.

I had one. It was silvertip. I have felt best badger and a pure badger brushes and it definitely was softer and better quality than those. So it has to be Silvertip.

I hope so...Do you think the tan colour of the brush could give us a clue about it? I read somewhere darker the bristle lower the quality...:confused:

Oh well... i agree on 100% badger:wink: Maybe some Futur brush owner could elucidate me...

Do you see much difference between this...

proxy.php

...and this?

proxy.php

I don't. But then, I'm no expert on anything. Hopefully some Futur set owner will come along and help clarify it for you.

By comparison to photos in the sticky about types of badger hair and in relation to my "pure badger" Vulfix I think my Merkur Futur set brush is silvertip.

I am pretty sure that this brush is the same knot and hair as the Dovo Silvertip that classic shaving sells. The Dovo has a Micarta handle in either white or black.
I have had one for a couple years now and I really like it.
It is probably one of the best values on the market for a high grade silvertip brush.

Well...by a vast majority of votes it should be silvertip...now only to choose the chrome or nickel plated handle ...:wink: Thanks again folks.

i have the futur set and i wouldn't recommend wasting your money. the razor is fine, but the brush isn't very good. it is silvertip though. mine came with flaws, and after sending pics to merkur of spotches with no silvertips, they said it was my fault, although it was clearly not since it would have been impossible to get small isolated spots missing the silver tips. anyways, aside from merkur not supporting its products, the brush just isn't that good. Doesn't hold water well, doesn't retain heat well, and got pretty course after only a year's use. you are paying more for form over function. i've switched to a shavemac brush, although i still use the futur razor.

i have the futur set and i wouldn't recommend wasting your money. the razor is fine, but the brush isn't very good. it is silvertip though. mine came with flaws, and after sending pics to merkur of spotches with no silvertips, they said it was my fault, although it was clearly not since it would have been impossible to get small isolated spots missing the silver tips. anyways, aside from merkur not supporting its products, the brush just isn't that good. Doesn't hold water well, doesn't retain heat well, and got pretty course after only a year's use. you are paying more for form over function. i've switched to a shavemac brush, although i still use the futur razor.
I have to agree with your assessment of the brush... I almost don't even want to call it silvertip... it's more like they bleached a best badger. I bought an AoS TRAVEL size (!!!!) silvertip, and it is WAY better than the Merkur Futur brush. The AoS explodes with water and keeps it like a natural sponge. The Futur just drips the water out immediately without any resistance.
Love the razor... not a fan of the brush (knot).
I'd like to get real silvertip knot for it, because I like the Futur brush's handle.

Top Bottom