What's new

Shaving Supplies from Germany

I have a good friend who is traveling to Germany in March for a couple of weeks. He probably won't have much free space left in his bags because he will be bringing me back a Schwarzweisskeramik Scuttle :w00t: But I thought that I might push my luck and see if he could squeeze in another item or 2.

What would you suggest?

Tabac. I also heard the Turkish products are supposed to be good (many Turks live in Germany, so their stuff should be readily available).

Personally, if I were looking for things to stuff my suitcase full of in Germany, it would be rare vintage beers, but that is another story...

Its pretty awesome that he's bringing you a scuttle back, although I've never heard of the black and white ceramic scuttle company before....Do you have a link to their stuff?

Personally, if I were looking for things to stuff my suitcase full of in Germany, it would be rare vintage beers, but that is another story...

Its pretty awesome that he's bringing you a scuttle back, although I've never heard of the black and white ceramic scuttle company before....Do you have a link to their stuff?

You can find their web page over here, the owner Oskar is a member here at B&B.
Great reviews for product and customer service.

Make sure you also get some of the neat soap lids to go along with your scuttle

look here

I also heard the Turkish products are supposed to be good (many Turks live in Germany, so their stuff should be readily available).
Arko's the name. Brillant shaving soap (comes as a stick) very similar to Williams Mug Shaving Soap.
But also brillant creams in tubes. All Arko products are worth a try except the bottom one: That is a fat based skincream - you only try to whip that up once.
Not bad, however, if applied thinly before lathering.
The soap gets so soft you can kneed it into things without grating.
Gratings
oskar

Tabac. I also heard the Turkish products are supposed to be good (many Turks live in Germany, so their stuff should be readily available).

I love Tabac but I can pick up it up here for $10. I imagine that it would be cheaper in Germany, maybe not with the exchange rate.

Here's what I wrote in the other "Going to Germany" thread:

—————

dm, found on every corner in Germany, will offer you the whole range of Weleda products - a series of skin creams, shampoos, shower gels etc. with all or mostly natural indegredients. While all the stuff is good (and fragrance only comes from natural oils), the shaving cream ("Weleda Rasiercreme") with its strong scent of herbage-supported lavender is fantastic. Works very well with the aftershave balm ("Weleda After Shave Balsam") and gives you a nice, but not too present odor.

However - despite doing what it's supposed to do the after shave ("Weleda Rasierwasser") from the same line needs getting used to - smelling like a hard to describe mixture of rustic, almost sharp herbs including myrrh it's a scent I haven't come across in the world of shaving yet. Take a smell and decide for yourself, but the cream alone is worth finding a dm market and costs about five bucks.

—————

Five bucks will also get you the Lavera shaving cream ("Lavera Men Care Rasiercreme"), usually in special stores dealing with all natural products like Denn's Biomarkt. Again, Lavera is a line that works without the chemical stuff found in many creams and soaps, and their whole product range is beyond good. The shaving cream has a very fresh, summerlike scent of citrus and horsetail. My skin often goes wild from fragrances in shaving soaps, I use this cream for a couple of days to get back in shape.

Once again the after shave ("Lavera Men Care Rasierwasser") is a tad more difficult. While definitely okay on the skin, the scent is rather sickly sweet. If you're in need of something lively, sunny and slightly juvenile - go for it, just don't expect a manly Tabac, Speick or Pitralon.

—————

If you stumble across a Manufactum store and you have another five bucks in your pocket then you're in for the legend that is Tüff aftershave for sensible skin ("Tüff Rasierwasser sensitiv"). From what I've read the mixture has remained almost untouched since the '40s (check the design!) and from what I've experienced it is, I'm not lying, one of the best after shaves in the world. Problem: hardly anybody knows about it.

There's not much sense in emphasizing the scent as it's gone within minutes and makes room for whatever comes next, but let me just say that for these minutes it smells like what I imagine an old pharmacy from a century ago to smell like. It's a very (very!) light scent of mild herbs; camomile, calendula, woad - in combination it's a tad medicinal and feels extremely soothing. Remember my skin going haywire, and that I take the Lavera shaving cream for that? Well, Tüff is my after shave of choice for these days. And for almost all the others. Try it, seriously - it would be a shame to miss out on it. My dermatologist recommended finding it and I'm still grateful.

—————

Don't forget that Berlin has its very own soap wonder, Olivia's Seifen. I have no idea if there's any way of visiting the lovely lady creating all those great soaps, but if there is I'm sure she'll tell you via mail. I've tested the full range of Olivia products and can only say that every single one of them is worth its price. She's also very active in a German shaving forum, so questions about indegredients etc. are answered and discussed in next to no time. Generally people are very helpful over there, so if your German skills allow it opening a thread there would surely give you a ton more adresses and suggestions in return.

—————

Last not least go to any common German pharmacy and order a tube or two of Medipharma olive oil shaving cream ("Medipharma Olivenöl Per Uomo Rasierschaumcreme") - take the one for five bucks (seems to be a common price), the more expensive one includes a shaving brush which hopefully you don't need. Medipharma is a company specializing in olive oil products, from shampoo to bath salts. These products are all quite enjoyable - not as natural as the Weleda or Lavera range, but overall featuring acceptable indegredients. If your skin can take Trumper and DR Harris, your skin can take Medipharma.

What does stand out (and is the reason for me suggesting it) is the scent. It's very soft and summerlike, all while feeling fresh and somehow "blue-ish". Reminds of quite a few products with "aqua" as their declared flavor. This one stays present during the day, especially when used with the very recommendable face cream ("Medipharma Olivenöl Gesichtspflege") with the odor of an aromatic mixture of sweet and tartish oils - of course this isn't an antibacterial after shave balm. If you order the products in the morning any pharmacy should be able to get them within six hours. Hooray for German promptitude.

—————

Here's what I wrote in the other "Going to Germany" thread:

—————

dm, found on every corner in Germany, will offer you the whole range of Weleda products - a series of skin creams, shampoos, shower gels etc. with all or mostly natural indegredients. While all the stuff is good (and fragrance only comes from natural oils), the shaving cream ("Weleda Rasiercreme") with its strong scent of herbage-supported lavender is fantastic. Works very well with the aftershave balm ("Weleda After Shave Balsam") and gives you a nice, but not too present odor.

However - despite doing what it's supposed to do the after shave ("Weleda Rasierwasser") from the same line needs getting used to - smelling like a hard to describe mixture of rustic, almost sharp herbs including myrrh it's a scent I haven't come across in the world of shaving yet. Take a smell and decide for yourself, but the cream alone is worth finding a dm market and costs about five bucks.

—————

Five bucks will also get you the Lavera shaving cream ("Lavera Men Care Rasiercreme"), usually in special stores dealing with all natural products like Denn's Biomarkt. Again, Lavera is a line that works without the chemical stuff found in many creams and soaps, and their whole product range is beyond good. The shaving cream has a very fresh, summerlike scent of citrus and horsetail. My skin often goes wild from fragrances in shaving soaps, I use this cream for a couple of days to get back in shape.

Once again the after shave ("Lavera Men Care Rasierwasser") is a tad more difficult. While definitely okay on the skin, the scent is rather sickly sweet. If you're in need of something lively, sunny and slightly juvenile - go for it, just don't expect a manly Tabac, Speick or Pitralon.

—————

If you stumble across a Manufactum store and you have another five bucks in your pocket then you're in for the legend that is Tüff aftershave for sensible skin ("Tüff Rasierwasser sensitiv"). From what I've read the mixture has remained almost untouched since the '40s (check the design!) and from what I've experienced it is, I'm not lying, one of the best after shaves in the world. Problem: hardly anybody knows about it.

There's not much sense in emphasizing the scent as it's gone within minutes and makes room for whatever comes next, but let me just say that for these minutes it smells like what I imagine an old pharmacy from a century ago to smell like. It's a very (very!) light scent of mild herbs; camomile, calendula, woad - in combination it's a tad medicinal and feels extremely soothing. Remember my skin going haywire, and that I take the Lavera shaving cream for that? Well, Tüff is my after shave of choice for these days. And for almost all the others. Try it, seriously - it would be a shame to miss out on it. My dermatologist recommended finding it and I'm still grateful.

—————

Don't forget that Berlin has its very own soap wonder, Olivia's Seifen. I have no idea if there's any way of visiting the lovely lady creating all those great soaps, but if there is I'm sure she'll tell you via mail. I've tested the full range of Olivia products and can only say that every single one of them is worth its price. She's also very active in a German shaving forum, so questions about indegredients etc. are answered and discussed in next to no time. Generally people are very helpful over there, so if your German skills allow it opening a thread there would surely give you a ton more adresses and suggestions in return.

—————

Last not least go to any common German pharmacy and order a tube or two of Medipharma olive oil shaving cream ("Medipharma Olivenöl Per Uomo Rasierschaumcreme") - take the one for five bucks (seems to be a common price), the more expensive one includes a shaving brush which hopefully you don't need. Medipharma is a company specializing in olive oil products, from shampoo to bath salts. These products are all quite enjoyable - not as natural as the Weleda or Lavera range, but overall featuring acceptable indegredients. If your skin can take Trumper and DR Harris, your skin can take Medipharma.

What does stand out (and is the reason for me suggesting it) is the scent. It's very soft and summerlike, all while feeling fresh and somehow "blue-ish". Reminds of quite a few products with "aqua" as their declared flavor. This one stays present during the day, especially when used with the very recommendable face cream ("Medipharma Olivenöl Gesichtspflege") with the odor of an aromatic mixture of sweet and tartish oils - of course this isn't an antibacterial after shave balm. If you order the products in the morning any pharmacy should be able to get them within six hours. Hooray for German promptitude.

—————

I may have to slip my friend a $50 and pick up another suitcase for him.

Guys, guys...where is the wonderful shaving soap named Golden Dachs on his lovely aluminium can from Dittmar at Alpenrod??? :w00t: It seems it works even with hard water...

Guys, guys...where is the wonderful shaving soap named Golden Dachs on his lovely aluminium can from Dittmar at Alpenrod??? :w00t: It seems it works even with hard water...

Dp you like Golden Dachs more than Speik or Tabac?

Maybe you can get a hold of a German after shave. Pitralon, Sir Irisch Moos, Hâttric, and so on.

+1 id also add the CHH Tobacco to the list.

definitely check out the manufactum site! they have a lot of really hard to find products!

I may have to slip my friend a $50 and pick up another suitcase for him.

Great idea!

No problem at all to ask in English. Most members can read and write it.
Greetings
oskar

the German forums are incredible! the guys are great and knowledgeable, have a lot of the same gentleman mentality that b&b has.

Gold dachs is Great!

Dp you like Golden Dachs more than Speik or Tabac?

Gold Dachs wins with no questions asked! like a home run without even swinging the bat.

i would try and get all the products that can't be shipped over sea's. for instance olivia will ship to the US for a nominal amount. however CHH tobacco AS and Irish Moos products are impossible to find. also speick products and pitralon classic will be 3 or 4 times less expensive in there home land.

don't forget to update us when your friend gets back!

Top Bottom