What's new

New strop, flawed...need opinions (Pics included)

Im just getting into straight razors and just picked up my first strop. It looked good at the store and was decently priced ($40). But when I got it home I noticed it had what looked to me like a paint run going across the top of it. The run is approx 4 inches long and just barely noticible when a finger is ran across it.

My question is, since the "run" is noticible to the touch, will it affect my razor when I strop? If so, is there a way to fix it? Such as sanding or??

Some pics below of what I have:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Don't use it.

Go get your money back, and go buy a Tony Miller Starter strop, and be amazed at the improvement in quality you'll see!!!!! Really!

I think that you could get the "paint off" but it also looks like there is a cut in the leather. If there is a refund policy I would use it.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
It is a leather flaw or 'range mark" as they are called. In this case a healed scar. This is not uncommon in leather but if raised about the surface it is an issue.

I won't say these will not ever be found in my strops but if raised, or if they can be felt with the fingers I would reject it. If just a cosmetic issue then it comes down to judgement. Small, discreet ones I would let go if they do not stand out, ones like this simply look bad whether a stropping issue or not.

Tony

It's definitely ugly, but may not be enough to affect the razor. The real reason to return it is the lousy "linen" on the back side of the razor, which is only marginally useful IMO.

Get a Tony Miller strop with the real linen and you're good to go. Latigo or Horsehide is a matter of preference.

Top Bottom