What's new

"gentlemen Remove Your Caps"

Have you heard this during the start of the National Anthem...let me rephrase that...:blink: ...America the Beautiful...

What an oxymoron...to tell a GENTLEMAN to remove his CAP....

First a GENTLEMAN will know to remove his cap or hat at the appropriate time. GENTLEMEN removed thiere head wear when sitted at a resturant or someone's home....

A GENTLEMAN was raised or has learned proper etiquette....HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE TOLD WHEN TO REMOVE HIS HAT....

The announcer should have said....REDNECKS, THE IGNORANT AND THE DISRESPECTFUL...TAKE OFF THOSE CAPS ON YO HEAD !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

a gentleman shaves properly, too....:thumbup1:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
mark the shoeshine boy said:
The announcer should have said....REDNECKS, THE IGNORANT AND THE DISRESPECTFUL...TAKE OFF THOSE CAPS ON YO HEAD !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I always just took it as a friendly reminder that the time had come.

As for the above quote though, I agree except for one thing. As a redneck myself, I must object to being lumped with the disrespectful..... :wink:

-Mo

moses said:
Well, I always just took it as a friendly reminder that the time had come.

As for the above quote though, I agree except for one thing. As a redneck myself, I must object to being lumped with the disrespectful..... :wink:

-Mo

PERHAPS HE COULD PAUSE AT THAT MOMENT....LOL...

i am a redneck too....but my momma learned me some good manners and i will carry them to my grave....

Kind of like Aunt Bea in the Andy Griffith show teaching the Dillards proper table manners...if you remember that episode...

mark tssb

While I do agree that a gentleman should know to remove his hat at appropriate times, hat wearing has been out of fashion for so long now that many have never actually been taught or exposed to proper hat etiquette.

For instance, I was sitting at the lunch counter in a truckstop a while back and wearing my brown fedora. One younger guy remarked that I should remove my hat. Before I could reply an older gentleman spoke up and educated him a little on proper hat wearing. One is expected to remove one's hat when seated at a table, but not so if seated at a counter. I could be wrong on this but I believe that little tidbit probably stems from the lack of space at a counter and removing one's hat at the counter would require either placing it on the counter (very poor choice) or in an adjacent seat (also a poor choice).

It used to be that nearly every restaurant and diner actually had a hat rack where a gentleman could hang his hat. Very difficult to find today and no small source of annoyance for myself.

If hat wearing ever comes back into fashion a lot of gentlemen will have to be reducated on proper hat etiquette.

Oops, sorry for the long winded reply. Seeing men not observing proper hat etiquette is a small pet peeve of mine.

Growing up, we were always told to remove our caps in the classroom -- including the girls. I had read/heard that women are allowed to keep their hats on in nearly every circumstance. Do I remember correctly?

At Texas A&M, where I went to undergrad, removing your hat is policed by the students. Certain buildings on campus and at certain events, hats were are to be removed. It is a great tradition of the university and a respectful one.

However, tough to pick up chicks in the student center with hathead hair! :biggrin:

Shermdog

Yeah, I miseed much hat etiquette, growing up with ballcaps.

Pretty much we were told to take them off while indoors, that's it.

I wear one at work, but only because the overhead lighting here causes all kinds of reflections on the lenses of my glasses, which gives me massive headaches. Since it's a factory floor, it's acceptable. In the office area, I always remove it.

I'm old enough to remember when they used to play the British national anthem at the end of the show in cinemas. You could get killed in the rush to get out when God Save the Queen came on!

I used to run a mobile disco when I was young and had hair and I used to have a copy of it which I played at the end to get the buggers out!

I think the anthem only ever gets played at international sports events these days.

being Welsh, my national anthem is Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau of course. I never stand for the Queen!:001_tt2:

Gareth

I plead guilty to wearing my hat in cafes and restaurants more often than is polite. In mitigation, I offer the following observation: when is the last time you saw either a hatcheck counter or a hatrack in an eatery, even a high-class one?

It's been years since I have, and I suspect that may have something to do with the situation. My usual hat is not especially expensive as hats go, but I do not willingly leave it in my lap where I most likely will dribble on it or on the floor where some fool (me, again, most likely) can step on it. What's the alternative?

Gene.

charleton said:
I plead guilty to wearing my hat in cafes and restaurants more often than is polite. In mitigation, I offer the following observation: when is the last time you saw either a hatcheck counter or a hatrack in an eatery, even a high-class one?

I have had my hats squashed by coat check personnel, who just put it on a shelf, and then toss other stuff up there. I even had one hat returned by a waitress (the place had no coatcheck or hat rack) coated in a light dusting of flour! I've pretty much given up on wearing a hat to any place where I will have to remove it, except my own office. I think it's perfectly OK to keep it on in saloons and at lunch counters.

A couple months ago I went into my favorite pizzeria in Torino, took off my hat, and set it on the floor next to my chair. They actually brought another chair over, picked up my hat, and placed it on that chair!

As a Southern Gent I wear my cowboy hat often. I am always aware of hat etiquette in public places. My hat comes off when indoors in a restauraant type setting or in a business environment. I will not place my hat on the floor. A great deal of my etiquette comes from serving in the Armed Forces and from my Father.

There are two thing you do not mess with, another man's woman and another man's hat. Not necessarily in that order!! In the older days this list included another man's horse. Matter of fact I am wearing my Stetson today.
Did you know that you are not supposed to wear straw hats between Thanksgiving and Easter. Unless it is the only one you own.

Raf

Scorpio said:
As a Southern Gent I wear my cowboy hat often. I am always aware of hat etiquette in public places. My hat comes off when indoors in a restauraant type setting or in a business environment. I will not place my hat on the floor. A great deal of my etiquette comes from serving in the Armed Forces and from my Father.

There are two thing you do not mess with, another man's woman and another man's hat. Not necessarily in that order!! In the older days this list included another man's horse. Matter of fact I am wearing my Stetson today.
Did you know that you are not supposed to wear straw hats between Thanksgiving and Easter. Unless it is the only one you own.

Raf

I used to wear one (cowboy hat) but quit when I sold my truck. For some reason I have a thing about not wearing a hat unless you own a truck :rolleyes: I see guys here wearing their straws during the winter months. I like to make fun of them:lol:

Oh, yeah...when I was growing up, I made the mistake (once) of wearing a cap indoors. The phrase, "Son, is your head cold?" is a rhetorical question, by the way.

Top Bottom