What's new

Recommend me a string trimmer/weed wacker

I am about to retire a 7 year old Echo string trimmer. Something is rattling in the engine and it is leaking oil/gas. I tried to take it apart but didn't see much. The local stores want about $50-80 just to look at it. So I figured it is time for a new one. I only use it 6 months out of year for 15 minutes a week.

Here are my choices:

Echo: I thought would last more than 7 years so I am dissapointed in that. Also a straight shaft echo will run me about $220-230. I enjoyed it but I couldn't ever get the bump string to work well.

Stihl: FS 55 R $199 Expensive and uses a a tap/bump head which some may like but I like a fixed string like some craftmans have.

Homelite: $99. Cheap. Don't know if it will last. Still had a tap/bump head

Craftsman: $109 (sale price $40 off)Cheap and has a fixed string head! Will it last?? This is what store associate recommended me. I was leaning towards but reviews are getting me worried. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Name=Handheld+Power+Tools&sName=Line+Trimmers
Craftsman Pro: $179 (sale price $40 off). A rebadged Husqvarna trimmer. Has a fixed string head. Great reviews. Probably more trimmer than I need but should last a long time. The commisioned based associate still says for my needs the $109 should be good. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Lawn+%26+Garden_Handheld+Power+Tools_Line+Trimmers#viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&&filter=Price|24.99-270^User+Ratings|3&lastFilter=Price

I don't won't to spend a lot but I also want it to last at least 5 yrs. Also I am open to any other suggestions.

I have had the Stihl for about 6 years, still starts on the 1st pull, I have had no problems with it at all.

My impression is that you get what you pay for with these things. I have a toro that never has worked right after about year two. Like you, I'll be looking for fixed string in my next unit, as well. Because of that, I'd go with the rebadged Husqy.

(The Wal-Mart Effect has a fantastic chapter on how big box retailers have pressured lawn equipment manufacturers to consistently reduce quality in efforts to lower prices. As a result, so the theory goes, the majority of lawn equipment sold in those stores tends to be short-lived.)

Last edited:
I am about to retire a 7 year old Echo string trimmer. Something is rattling in the engine and it is leaking oil/gas. I tried to take it apart but didn't see much. The local stores want about $50-80 just to look at it. So I figured it is time for a new one. I only use it 6 months out of year for 15 minutes a week.

Here are my choices:

Echo: I thought would last more than 7 years so I am dissapointed in that. Also a straight shaft echo will run me about $220-230. I enjoyed it but I couldn't ever get the bump string to work well.

Stihl: FS 55 R $199 Expensive and uses a a tap/bump head which some may like but I like a fixed string like some craftmans have.

Homelite: $99. Cheap. Don't know if it will last. Still had a tap/bump head

Craftsman: $109 (sale price $40 off)Cheap and has a fixed string head! Will it last?? This is what store associate recommended me. I was leaning towards but reviews are getting me worried. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Name=Handheld+Power+Tools&sName=Line+Trimmers
Craftsman Pro: $179 (sale price $40 off). A rebadged Husqvarna trimmer. Has a fixed string head. Great reviews. Probably more trimmer than I need but should last a long time. The commisioned based associate still says for my needs the $109 should be good. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Lawn+%26+Garden_Handheld+Power+Tools_Line+Trimmers#viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&&filter=Price|24.99-270^User+Ratings|3&lastFilter=Price

I don't won't to spend a lot but I also want it to last at least 5 yrs. Also I am open to any other suggestions.

I have a Stihl (I don't recall the model number - it is not from the pro line), it is at least 20 years old. I've run the heck out of it. I've had to replace several of the plastic "tap" heads which activate the line feed. Last season the rubber "primer bulb" split, but it still started with a little coaxing. I forsee another season with it. When (and if) the time comes to replace it, it will be a Stihl.

And I agree with Gruder. I don't buy mowers from big box retailers. I buy from a lawn mower shop. I've had two mowers in over 30 years. A Snapper for about half that time. It was still running when I got rid of it, but I wanted to switch to mulching and the little 3.5HP Snapper engine wasn't going to be a great choice. Bought a Toro GTS and have been running it ever since. I wouldn't have any of the Toros sold by HD.

I have a Stihl FS 55R. Real happy with it. You get what you pay for and I expect this trimmer to last me at least 20 seasons.

They increased their price. Now the FS 55R is not $199 but $209. Only $10 more but $199 was pushing it.

I did see a $149 Stihl FS45. It looked nice but I had a curved shaft and wanted to try a straight shaft.

So should I get the $149 curved Stihl, the $108 Craftsman, $179 Craftsman? I like the craftsman features (fixed line and staight shafts) but out of these three what would more than likely last me the longest??

The Echo & Stihl will have dual ball bearings supporting the crankshaft and dual piston rings. The easy way to tell if the weed wacker is a single or double ball bearing is where the pull cord is at. If it comes off the back of the unit it has double bearings, if the pull cord is between the motor and shaft it is a single bearing.

Double bearings allow the motors to run at 30-40% higher RPMS, reduces vibration, allows for tighter tolerances during manufacturing and increases engine life.

Dual piston rings just ensure that you will have decent compression for a longer period of time.

Your typical Homelite, Weedeater, & Craftsman motors are made to run for about 150 Hrs. Your commercial brands are all rated for 400+ hrs of use.

I have not sold these units since 2000 so some of these figures may be a bit outdated, although I am sure not much has changed. I have seen cut aways of these motors and the difference in quality between the commercial brands and residential brands is huge.

Biggest thing to remember is to follow basic maintenance procedures.

Keep the air filter clean, fresh plug every season, run only high quality oils suggested by the manufacturers. The generic oil is no where as good as the oil that is sold by Stihl & Echo. Also run it out of gas before storage for any amount of time over a week or so. Even the best will fail long before it should if not maintained properly

I assume you mean Echo and Stihl (there may be a few others that I am not aware of).

Now what if the Stihl I am looking at is for home use. Will the quality be not nearly as good as their commercial models? Price difference is about $100-150 more for the commercial models which I can't afford.

Also is it to put in STA-BIL - Fuel Stabilizer instead of running gas through before end of season?

I add Sta-Bil or Mystery Oil in the gas for both my mower and string trimmer. Run it all season long that way. I also don't change the plug every year and I've left gas in the tanks (that's not meant as a recommendation - and note that I run my mower during the Spring and Summer for grass cutting and Fall and Winter for leaf mulching), but my mower always starts on the first crank. I do keep the air filter cleaned and the mower blade sharpened. Other than that they are workhorses that have not let me down.

I'll second the other recommendations about avoiding what I call "disposable" yard tools from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I get my stuff from pawn shops for used commercial-grade stuff, or spend the cash and buy from a mower dealer.

I assume you mean Echo and Stihl (there may be a few others that I am not aware of).

Now what if the Stihl I am looking at is for home use. Will the quality be not nearly as good as their commercial models? Price difference is about $100-150 more for the commercial models which I can't afford.

Also is it to put in STA-BIL - Fuel Stabilizer instead of running gas through before end of season?

Yes, when I say commercial use units I refer to the Echo and Stihl.

I glanced at that Stihl unit you mentioned. It is hard without really getting a close loot at it. Looks to have a dual BB supported crankshaft and probably also used dual piston rings.

A couple places corners could be cut are the use of self tapping screws rather than drilled and tapped screw holes. Also the mating surfaces are probably not machined, the driveline probably smaller. Minor details if this unit will be used in a residential setting.

Last I heard Stihl had removed the reed valve from its entire line up, so if that is the case it is one less problem area to give you issues down the line.

Hard to go wrong with Stihl, IMO they have of the toughest engine standard in the industry and I got to see many units over the years with claims of 1200 Hrs of use.

STA-BIL does a good job of preventing the gas from clogging the carb and keeps it fresh. The gas still eats away it rubber hoses though, so while the STA-BIL is good for short storage during the winter months the unit should still be ran dry.

Last edited:
Another thing worth mentioning is the parts availability. Buy something from the Home Depot or Lowes and you will have a hard time finding even the most basic part for it in 5 years.

Something of commercial grade will have all parts available for many years to come. If you can do the work yourself and avoid the insane labor rates you could keep this thing running for 10-15 years

They increased their price. Now the FS 55R is not $199 but $209. Only $10 more but $199 was pushing it.

I did see a $149 Stihl FS45. It looked nice but I had a curved shaft and wanted to try a straight shaft.

So should I get the $149 curved Stihl, the $108 Craftsman, $179 Craftsman? I like the craftsman features (fixed line and staight shafts) but out of these three what would more than likely last me the longest??

I don't like curved shafts and they were not recommended at the place I bought mine. The guy I bought my Stihl from said he has the same model and it is about 9 years old now and still running just fine. These are definitely a get what you pay for thing. Stihl is a quality product and company and my trimmer is going to last me probably the rest of my life. Actually, my next Stihl purchase is going to a chainsaw to replace my Craftsman *** one.

I haven't read every post in this thread, but here is my advice (you may have already received such).

Buy a Stihl. I have worked with landscapers, state parks, tree services, etc... Literally every singe operation I have worked with uses Stihl. If you don't like to bump the ground for string, Stihl sells a fixed string head as well. The money you spend compared to a homelite, etc will more than pay for itself in the long haul. Stihl simply knows how to make a quality engine.

As far as the straight vs. curved shaft debate goes: For light/residential use, you probably won't have a problem. If you get into heavier farm use or plan to put a blade on the end of it to cut brush, I would go with a straight shaft.

Also, you may be able to save yourself some money by not buying one with Stihl's easy start system. I bought a Stihl weed whacker last year and saved around $80 by buying the same model without easy-start. Worth mentioning. And, Stihl's home series is great for just that...home use. If you're going to do much more than two yards I would consider a commercial one. Stihl should still stand behind their home series, though.

Definitely add fuel stabilizer before storing. The oil in the 2-stroke mixture will settle in the carbs while the machine sets. You will play hell trying to restart one without cleaning the carburetors after that happens. The stabilizer will prevent that from happening. (I worked on boats to put myself through college. We had that problem with many of our customers' 2-stroke outboards.)

Hope this helps and that I'm not too late posting this... Good luck.

Last edited:
I just feel that it will last longer and is superior to the $108 craftsman or the $179 Crafstman/Husquvarna and should last longer. It is probably comparable to the Echo SRM-210 if not better. HD was selling the Echo for $219. I bought my FS55r for $199. My Stihl also came with a shoulder harness and I can bring it to the store to get serviced (they will perform warranty work also).

I will have to test it out in once it gets a bit warmer and the grass and weeds start to sprout.

proxy.php

Merkur 39C ... your lawn will be BBS in 2 easy passes.

You're going to need a BIG, BIG brush, though ... probably about 1,000mm knot size, at least.

Top Bottom