What's new

Kent VS80 - the worst brush ever made?

Received one of these in the post with a puck/bowl of Kent/MWF; the price was great so I guess the brush was essentially free, and you can see why!

Lathering ability? It doesn't have any; the same amount of soap that would usually produce lather enough for 3 or 4 passes with my favourite Kent T8 produced lather enough for less than one pass with this. It doesn't hold any water, doesn't hold any lather. Oh, and it stinks. It's labelled 'pure bristle', which presumably means synthetic, but there must be some sort of low grade pig hair in there as well.

The surprisingly good feature was its relative softness (I braced myself, expecting something similar to wire wool) - it really was fairly gentle, its just a pity it didn't have any lather in it :lol:

BTW, the other two brushes I do use and love (T8 and bk4) are both made by Kent, so its not a criticism of the company.

Not having any other experience with drugstore type brushes, I'm wondering if this sort of performance is typical? I know if I started with a brush like this, I likely would have given up; Nivea shave gel would be preferable imo. I guess I just don't see the point in making products in this 'range'. Oh, and this has convinced me, if I had to advise a newb, I'd say 'spend some money on a brush'. :001_smile

Last edited:
It's labelled 'pure bristle', which presumably means synthetic, but there must be some sort of low grade pig hair in there as well.

Pure bristle means boar bristle. I guess the dictionary definition of bristle may allow for other meanings but in the world of shaving brushes (maybe all brushes) bristle means boar bristle.

That is different from hair. More like whisker.

V

VR6ofpain

I also got one of these with a mug of Napa Soap Company shave soap, "old spice" scent. The brush was complete garbage, with tons of "bristle" falling out with each use. The handle was very inferior to the lowly Tweezerman brush. I gave it away as a PIF.

BTW Napa Soap Company's soap also sucks @$$ bigtime. Totally burns the skin. The scent was nice, but everything else was horrible.

proxy.php

I did notice they now ship it with a plastic handle Kent and the price has also gotten astronomical!!
http://www.napasoapcompany.com/Merc...reen=PROD&Product_Code=SHSS&Category_Code=Men

Top Bottom