What's new

Where Do You Guys Buy Your Suits?

Where do you gentlemen buy your suits, and what brands do you usually wear? There is a small family owned store around here that sells suits, and I got 4 Chaps suits for about $175 a suit. They are relatively inexpensive, so when I brought them to my tailor to be slightly adjusted, I still came out on top.

Also, for anyone in New England, I got one of these:

http://www.bluefly.com/Hugo-Boss-gr...s&referer=cjunction_2178999_10436858_51552320

At Building #19 for $250 about a year ago. I love Building #19! Their stock is always different, and you have to really look, but you can usually find a good deal.

So, how about you guys?

I generally buy mine from Jos A. Banks. I wear an extra-long and most places tend to only have short, regular, and long but Jos A. Banks carries my size.

I have been partial to Brooks Brothers, but tend to shop anywhere I can find a decent suit for a reasonable price. The last one I bought was from Express (not my usual choice for clothes). I allways get mine tailored, so that is a constant factor for my budget.

Patrick James. I don't wear many suits (about 4 times a yr) so I have 3 in my rotation. Every 2 yrs I replace 1. 1 out 1 in.

Tip Top Tailors for the man with non-deep pockets is where I bought my two suits, someday when I have more money to spend I'd like to get a very nice one. Can someone tell me what is the term for the types of suit, like the most popular where a suit jacket is straight on the sides vs. the more European cut where it is sort of tapered in, like an hourglass kind of shape? Is that just the result of custom tailoring and a suit like that would be expensive? I just think it looks much sharper than a standard more loose fitting kind of suit jacket.

I have only worn a suit one time in the past 10 years. You'd think a $500 suit shouldn't have shrunk so much just hanging in the closet.

:confused:

Tip Top Tailors for the man with non-deep pockets is where I bought my two suits, someday when I have more money to spend I'd like to get a very nice one. Can someone tell me what is the term for the types of suit, like the most popular where a suit jacket is straight on the sides vs. the more European cut where it is sort of tapered in, like an hourglass kind of shape? Is that just the result of custom tailoring and a suit like that would be expensive? I just think it looks much sharper than a standard more loose fitting kind of suit jacket.

Were you referring to Bespoke?

I spend a bit more than I should by going to Men's Wearhouse, but here's why......Customer Service. It is spot on. The first time I walked through the doors, I was being asked what the occasion was, people breaking out the measuring tape and chalk. I might be confusing chasing a commission with customer service, but isn't that what the driving incentive of a commission is there for?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
According to The Millionaire Next Door, JC Penney is where frugal millionaires buy their suits.

I have been going to an independent store in Wayzata, MN called The Foursome for many years. I have used the same salesperson, Ralph, for all those years plus a few when he worked at another store.

An advantage to going to a small store and working with the same salesperson is that he will take care of you. He always gives me a discount and sends a handwritten thank-you note.

These days, I only need one suit and I only wear it to weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs, etc.

He always steers me to Austin Reed suits and sportcoats even though they carry some more expensive lines (Hart Schaffner & Marx, Jack Victor, Joseph Abboud). I have been happy with everything I bought there and he always makes sure it that it fits properly.

One of many things I have learned is to find a jeweler, florist, barber, and clothing salesperson. Use the same ones all the time and they will take good care of you. If they don't, it's time to find someone else.

I buy most of my stuff at Nordstroms, but there is a shop in Northern VA that has the best value for your dollar that I have seen. "Davelle" has a few locations in northern VA, and once a year has a sale that is very worth while. I'll preface this by saying that the owner (usually hangs out in the Reston location) is ultra pretentious, and quite arrogant. You can walk into the store and see sweaters that cost $500. No joke.... Definitely not my kind of place to shop.....

That being said, once a year he has a sale, 3 suits, 3 shirts, and 3 ties for $1000. We're talking top notch stuff too. Absolutely gorgeous suits, all tailoring is included, and the owner helps pick out the combinations. I never, ever thought I'd see my father (or me for that matter)wear a lavender colored shirt, but it looks absolutely stunning in the combo this guy made. Granted, a grand is a lot to drop at once, but for three very nice suits and accessories, I'll consider it every couple of years.

I have only worn a suit one time in the past 10 years. You'd think a $500 suit shouldn't have shrunk so much just hanging in the closet.

:confused:

I've dealt with the closet shrinkage phenomenon for years. It seems the longer something hangs in the closet, the more it shrinks.

However, shoes and ties are immune to this.

I buy most of my stuff at Nordstroms, but there is a shop in Northern VA that has the best value for your dollar that I have seen. "Davelle" has a few locations in northern VA, and once a year has a sale that is very worth while. I'll preface this by saying that the owner (usually hangs out in the Reston location) is ultra pretentious, and quite arrogant. You can walk into the store and see sweaters that cost $500. No joke.... Definitely not my kind of place to shop.....

That being said, once a year he has a sale, 3 suits, 3 shirts, and 3 ties for $1000. We're talking top notch stuff too. Absolutely gorgeous suits, all tailoring is included, and the owner helps pick out the combinations. I never, ever thought I'd see my father (or me for that matter)wear a lavender colored shirt, but it looks absolutely stunning in the combo this guy made. Granted, a grand is a lot to drop at once, but for three very nice suits and accessories, I'll consider it every couple of years.

Homebrew, great information for us in Northern VA. Do you happen to know when they have their 3 suit sale? I'm getting married in June and plan on buying a new suit and budgeted $700, for $300 more I can get a lot more for my money.

Good question, and something I'm interested in right now. Living in southern California, the business dress code is pretty relaxed. However, due to changes in work responsibilities, I'm in need of more than just the two suits in my closet.

The Men's Warehouse by me is awful. Dirty and rude staff. I'm not a huge fan of deparment stores. I was thinking about checking out some of the suit stores in LA.

Top Bottom