What's new

Stropping a DE -- I believe!

Thanks to everyone who taught me the method(s) for stropping a DE (previous post). Like some others, the vaunted Derby blade was harsh on my face. I started stropping one before every shave and the difference in smoothness has been (for me) close to unbelievable!

I was doubtful it would make a difference. Today I shaved using the exact same process I used with a Derby awhile back (I keep a journal so I can compare experiences while changing only one variable (razor, blade, shave medium/make, preshave routine, etc.) using a 4-point scale. Previous (unstropped) Derby garnered 2/4 for comfort (considerable neck irritation, a couple weepers) and 3/4 for closeness. Today, with the stropped Derby, there was no irritation, no red, and the closeness was at least 3.5 of 4. Maybe it was a 4/4; I'm planning to save that designation for the morning I cannot feel a single whisker in any direction -- certainly it was a BBS shave, though.

On the previous thread, some seemed to miss the point of stropping -- thinkign that the main benefit it would be to increase the usuable life of the blade -- and there is some anecdotal evidence it can. But at 15 cents a blade, I would certainly not take the trouble to strop even if it doubled the blade life. What I DO like is being able to experience a closer and more comfortable shave, and I believe stropping does exactly that.

I will try with other blade brands and report back, but right now I'm a convert.

What are you using to strop your blade? I have heard of people stroping a DE with the palm of their hand.

I don't yet know how to redirect from this text, but look for the post on 2/24/09, "Strop a DE blade." You can do it on the fleshy part of your palm below the little finger, or (more dramatically) up and down the inside of your forearm. The thread will direct to videos.

I remember seeing a video of Masto Livi honeing a razor. I was shocked when he also stropped his palm.

Top Bottom