What's new

MWF - A Newb's Review

Sure:
Great smell, great shave, wonderfully moisturizing! :wink:
Is that too "layman"? :biggrin:
I know. I was just messin' with ya. Actually, my uncle has been involved in cosmetics manufacturing, so if we don't get an answer from one of the knowledgeable forum members, I can ask him.

Sodium Tallowate (soap made from beef fat), Potassium Stearate (soap made from animal fat), Sodium Cocoate (soap made from coconut oil), Sodium Stearate (more soap from animal fat), Aqua (water), Potassium Cocoate (yet more soap made from coconut oil), Glycerin (glycerin - there's no simpler way to say propan-1,2,3-triol), Parfum (smell), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene (found in citrus fruit), Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin (wool grease), Titanium Dioxide (makes it white), Sodium Chloride (mmm salty), Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

there's a start...

Ahhh...the legendary Lanolin that makes this soap so great! #1 ingredient!

Just be careful what AS you use after...might negate the effects of the lanolin

Chris..... what would be examples of ones that would negate the effects of the lanolin. I've been using Witch Hazel after shaving. However, today, after using MWF for the first time this afternoon, I simply used cold water. Pleasant feeling afterwards.

The MWF has quite a salty taste!

Ahhh...the legendary Lanolin that makes this soap so great! #1 ingredient!

Just be careful what AS you use after...might negate the effects of the lanolin

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good Thread. I have my MWF soap under the sink, waiting for me to finish a soap so I can put the puck in a container...

The pyrex container with the rubber top (maybe it's plastic) is working pretty well. Thanks to it, I didn't have to wait. The MWF puck itself is 3" in diameter and the pyrex is 3.5 or 4, but it works.

Usually, after a few shaves in the pyrex, the soap will stick to the bottom so the puck doesnt slide everywhere during your lathering process.

Love my MWF. Got a puck from Leesrazors 6 or 7 months ago. I face lather with Vulfix 660 pure badger and always get thick, cushiony lather. Face is soft and moisturized all day. How long does a puck of MWF last?. It looks bigger now, than when I started using it.

Erudolph,

Sorry I missed your first question. I have used various AS after shaving with MWF. I've found that heavier AS or ASB (GFT Skin Food, Loreal hydrolyzer etc) tend to negate the soft skin effects of MWF or, if negate is too strong a word, at least leave my skin feeling so tacky that I can't feel the softness feature provided by the lanolin.

AS splash or lighter balms (Nivea ASB, Proraso, Musgo Real) seem to leave the lanolin effect in place. Of course, I could be using too much AS to begin with! I usually use a WH with alcohol to tone the skin immediately after the shave and then finish up with AS or ASB. If you are using just WH to finish w/o alcohol, I would imagine the lanolin full effect would still be in place (if not more so as the Aloe in many Thayer's products would likely add to the effect)

Studman,

From what I've read...the MWF will likely last you at least a year if not longer (assume you have a rotation going)

I bought MWF in the ceramic dish a couple months ago to use during the cooler months and I plan on using it tomorrow for the first time. I just opened the container and filled the container half way with hot tap water to soak the puck over night so that it may soften and expand in the ceramic container. Here's to a great shave tomorrow!!

I took about a 10 day hiatus from MWF to add some MB into my rotation. I went back to MWF this week and had disaster of a shave today, I still hurt:a15:. Puck had seemed to have lost its mojo. Lather was a pain. Im never going a few days without it. Actually really narrowed my rotation down to about 3 soaps.

I own and use MWF, but it doesn't come up in the rotation as often because of its' relative lack of scent (there is a scent, of course, but it's not something that one would come to specifically crave, IMHO).
I find it interesting how we all experience scents. For me, MWF has a wonderful scent, one that lingers with me through to the afternoon. I really like it, both for the scent and for the results I get when shaving with it.

I bought MWF in the ceramic dish a couple months ago to use during the cooler months and I plan on using it tomorrow for the first time. I just opened the container and filled the container half way with hot tap water to soak the puck over night so that it may soften and expand in the ceramic container. Here's to a great shave tomorrow!!

Be careful with this method...I've heard (though not experienced) that you can kill a puck of MWF by doing this (full lengthy soak).

FWIW, I milled my MWF and now have zero lather problems from it since writing this review.

Funny how time/experience changes things!

I still don't get this - it was my first soap and right out of the blocks I got huge quantities of good cushioning lather. As I'm not one for creating washing up, I'm a face latherer - maybe that's where I'm "going wrong with going wrong" with MWF :confused: (or perhaps I'm not trying hard enough to make it go wrong) :surrender:

I agree 100%. I read too much about how to do it, and after going off the track, getting frustrated, etc., (water under the bridge now) I just lathered it like every other soap, and the lather just became perfect. No biggie, it was my fault because I put too much attention on it. Ofr me, face lathering works well with MWF, as it does with most other soaps.

I found MWF to be the easiest lathering soap I've used, but that may be because I live not far from it's birthplace, so my water is ideal. :cool:

I have never used MWF and am looking forward to it. Will be purchasing some this week especially after I have read so many good things here about it.

Top Bottom