What's new

MWF - A Newb's Review

Well,

I just finished my full 5 day week of shaves with MWF.

Here are some thoughts:

1) I can get gobs of lather now whether face or bowl lathering....face lathering seems to let the soap sit on the face longer, so I get a better lanolin softening effect.

2) The lather is thinner than say a tub of TOBS when applied, and dries out a bit more quickly, but not to any negative effect shaving.

3) The feeling of soft skin after the shave is the whole reason to use MWF. It has more effect on the skin than any other soap I've tried.

4) Different AS tend to distort the effects of the MWF on the skin. After using Proraso ASB, I could still feel a soft face throughout the day. After using Nivea ASB, my face didn't feel as soft and was a bit tackier...but this is probably due to the fact that I really slathered up the face due to the bitter cold in NE US right now!

5) I found I had to recharge the brush on the puck on some days due to the drying effect on the soap. Again, didnt have a negative effect on the shave.

6) Using MWF, I've been able to accomplish 5 straight days of no irritation shaves. I generally credit this to getting my technique down more truthfully, but the MWF didnt hurt my experience and overall...improved it!

I still stand by my initial assertion that this is not a soap for a brand new Newb....its a bit tricky and requires a bit more effort (whether lathering, charging, keeping it wet etc), but it produces a wonderful shave and by the size of my puck after five shaves, I can tell it will last for over a year or two.

I believe MWF works so much better by face lathering vs lathering in a bowl.

The soap also works great in a MB style jar. The lid prevents the soap from drying out.

Last edited:
Try filling the container with hot water while showering, throw the water, not the puck when working it with the brush. I alway get good lather with MWF even in a bowl

Try filling the container with hot water while showering, throw the water, not the puck when working it with the brush. I alway get good lather with MWF even in a bowl

If your hot water is above about 100F/39C (and lets face it 39C is not actually hot), in doing that you'll be throwing much of the lanolin (aka wool grease, wool fat) that has melted in the hot water - so wasting the key property of MWF. Your call though.

I really like MWF but then there are others I like too. It takes only a few seconds longer to load the brush over other soaps and I get very good lather. Face lathering does seem the way to go though. I get quality shaves with other products but it is the feeling on the skin that I like and is the reason I use it.

If your hot water is above about 100F/39C (and lets face it 39C is not actually hot), in doing that you'll be throwing much of the lanolin (aka wool grease, wool fat) that has melted in the hot water - so wasting the key property of MWF. Your call though.

I use hot tap water, and the slick moisturizing properties are still there. It is the way I prep most tallow hard soaps. I just put the water over the puck which is in an Anchor container, so it is less than a 1/4 inch of water covering the puck.
After that no more water on the soap.

Paco,

Dont get me wrong, I get gobs of lather in a bowl too...just seems like the face works better for whatever reason. Particularly with feeling the moisturizing properties of the soap.

I'm guessing its as simple as the fact that the soap is on my face longer.

Chris, thanks for this review. Your experience exactly matches mine. With effort and persistence you can get a fair amount of lather, but it is not as dense or creamy as a tallow based soap. But it is very lubricating and it leaves a softness to your skin long after you are done shaving. That is quite different from any other shave soap I've used. It has a place in my rotation because of this, probably not top three, but it is in the line up!:001_smile

MWF newbie here. I have used it about 8-9 times and now understand what the all the fuss is about. The moisturizing quality is great and is where this soap excels, leaving the face feeling soft and nice. The lather itself is average in terms of cushioning and is nothing to get excited about. I plan to use this for a long time, but not every day.

I might agree with other's comments that it is tricky to lather, but I also think it is a matter of getting the puck moisturized properly, as each time I lathered puck gave up more soap with less effort than before. The last time I lathered with my C&E BBB which has a reputation as being pretty soft, but had no problems generating lather for a three pass shave.

Paco,

Dont get me wrong, I get gobs of lather in a bowl too...just seems like the face works better for whatever reason. Particularly with feeling the moisturizing properties of the soap.

I'm guessing its as simple as the fact that the soap is on my face longer.

Chris,
Nothing taken wrong, I'll have to try face lathering with MWF but at the moment through one of the coldest winters in Mass. I can't resist using the scuttle for warm lather.
I'm finding that I go for MWF more and more during the week, it leaves the face feeling great
Best,

I have used MWF more often than any of my other soaps lately, and while it can be difficult to lather if it is too dry, it is worth the effort.

You know what makes MWF so wonderful? The fact that you have to work harder to make good lather. It's like a book you have read countless time and every time you read it you find something new in it. You have to invest a part of yourself in MWf but it gives it back 10x. That's why MWf is the best soap out there.

ps: I bought Dr. Harris Lavender yesterday and its not bad, a bit akin to MWF actually.

Same here as well. I love the clean smell.
+1
I've caught myself going into the bathroom for a whiff of MWF (it even rhymes). Clean and slightly creamy are the only words I can find to describe it but I find it to be an extremely pleasant scent (though I wish it were a little more potent).

MWF is one of my favorites and I agree that it leaves my skin feeling softer and moister than other soaps.

The other nice thing about it is that the puck alone will last you a year...if you shave with other soaps in your rotation, it will last multiple years!

Not to threadjack, but can someone list what the ingredients are in MWF?

Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasoium Etidronate.

These are as they are listed on the packaging. I am not going to check for spelling errors... :) Can any chemists out there put these ingredients into layman's terms?

Top Bottom