What's new

Dress Shirt Problem

Charles Tyrwhitt is a long way down the list, quality-wise, but when they are almost always offering 4 shirts for 100 quid (if I have that British Pound symbol, I can't find it) you can get some decent shirting on the cheap. The 'sea island quality' shirts are much nicer fabric, and priced accordingly. Stay away from Thomas Pink shirts, though. They are at the bottom, quality-wise for English shirts, but a slick website and marketing means they charge much more than they ought to.

I've never been a big fan of non-iron ... it's a chemical that's applied to the material, basically, and it wears off with repeated cleanings, so you end up eventually with a non-non-iron shirt. :001_huh:

I would disagree with your statement about CT shirts, the one's that I have are very well made but they are not the bottom line CT shirts. I do agree about Thomas Pink shirts, terrible quality, especially for what you pay!

Yes, the wrinkle-free chemical does wear off in time but I've had several shirts for several years and they still look great. I prefer to buy wrinkle-free because I prefer to do shirts myself and spend a couple of minutes doing a little touch-up.

Well, also part of my singleness is a real low probability that I'm going to iron a shirt so, really want to try the no-iron out.

And, while I'm moving toward some finer things in life - in no small part because of this forum (ask me about my new Allen Edmonds....) I would really like to be able to buy shirts off the rack for now.

I did end up heading to Brooks Brothers to try their shirts. Although not a huge selection of shirts in my size - the 18/36 traditional fits me very well. Just the right length. I know the sale prices on this stuff fluctuates wildly (jeez Jos A Bank - I know youre having a damm sale - stop emailing me) However, I got 3 shirts for $199 at BB and 2 for $129 at Bank so, no big difference in price. There's an BB Outlet not to far from here so, I'll probably check that out too.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Although consensus is rarely achieved, the information gleaned from the discussions is invaluable.

Well, also part of my singleness is a real low probability that I'm going to iron a shirt so, really want to try the no-iron out.

Just so you know, if and when you become not-single, it doesn't necessarily mean your shirts will get ironed.

It adds up, but a really good cleaners is worth it. I've been fairly happy with an independent cleaner with a single shop. I had problems with some of the chains or multi-location cleaners.

Your shirts and buttons will last longer if you don't get starch.

If you have custom shirts made, make sure you get plenty of extra buttons, not just for the front, but for the cuffs and collar (if necessary) as well.

Just so you know, if and when you become not-single, it doesn't necessarily mean your shirts will get ironed.

Wasn't trying to be sexist. I can iron. I was just thinking I'll be less likey to wake up 10 minutes before I'm supposed to be at work with a hangover when I'm married. Well, hopefully.....

Top Bottom