What's new

Disinfecting Vintage Safety Razors

I've recently acquired three vintage Gillette razors on eBay, and I'm a little paranoid about viruses and bacteria on them. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there about which substances to use and which work best. I'm thinking of putting the razors in disposable plastic cups and filling them with boiling water. Then I planned on soaking them in alcohol or hydrogen peroxide for ten minutes. Finally I'd soak them again in hot water and use a toothbrush to get rid of debris and gunk. Basically, I want to effectively disinfect the razors, but I don't want to damage them either. I've also heard of barbicide, which some people say is much more effective than alcohol, but I don't know. What would you guys suggest?

Wear some gloves, scrubs off any "gunk" with a toothbrush and some Scrubbing Bubbles, then a 10 minute dunk in either Barbacide/Marvacide or 10 minutes in boiling water.

I use a strainer to hold my razor off the bottom of the pot when I boil them.

If anything survives that treatment, you were meant to catch it.

There shouldn't be any pathogens on your razors, but just in case, use Scrubbing Bubbles on them to clean them up. Then soak them in Barbicide.

Wear some gloves, scrubs off any "gunk" with a toothbrush and some Scrubbing Bubbles, then a 10 minute dunk in either Barbacide/Marvacide or 10 minutes in boiling water.

I use a strainer to hold my razor off the bottom of the pot when I boil them.

If anything survives that treatment, you were meant to catch it.

There shouldn't be any pathogens on your razors, but just in case, use Scrubbing Bubbles on them to clean them up. Then soak them in Barbicide.

Both these folks are correct, just be careful if you decide to boil, do not boil gold razors and if boiling others (chrome, nickel or brass) only boild for 5 minutes max. with water only, no vinager or soap.

I use a vinegar and warm water soak to help with the clean up.
Then Give them a good scrub , finishing up with a short soak in Barbicide.

Im like you , Paranoid enough to want to 'make sure' , and Barbicides about as make sure as you can get without getting silly.

(Ive had some funny results from boiling , which may well be just down to me cocking something up , so ive shy'd away from this recently)

IMHO, a good cleaning with scrubbing bubbles and hot water will wash gunk and germs down the drain. Use Barbicide if you're still worried. I'm more concerned eating with the tableware in a restaurant.

-Clarke

I've been using Hibiclens rather than Barbicide to disinfect; a 10-15 minute soak before the Scrubbing Bubbles. Then wash it down once more with 91% iso alcohol. It's what I have on hand. I think that's actually overkill, but "killing" is the point here.

Ron

I've been using Hibiclens rather than Barbicide to disinfect; a 10-15 minute soak before the Scrubbing Bubbles. Then wash it down once more with 91% iso alcohol. It's what I have on hand. I think that's actually overkill, but "killing" is the point here.

Ron

Actually, unless I'm misremembering, Hibiclens won't work as well as one of the -cides. Hibiclens requires friction, whereas the -cides just require soaking and being allowed to air dry.

IMHO, a good cleaning with scrubbing bubbles and hot water will wash gunk and germs down the drain. Use Barbicide if you're still worried. I'm more concerned eating with the tableware in a restaurant.

-Clarke

+1 I've never put a razor in my mouth.

Lemme see, I gotta get a razor that has some kinda super funk on it that survives scrubbing with a tooth brush and hot water. Then, I gotta cut myself with that razor and then the super funk has to jump from the razor to my cut and then worm it's way into my bloodstream. Is that what we're concerned about? If you like odds like that I suggest you buy lottery tickets. Lots of lottery tickets. :lol:

-Clarke

Same here, just a good toothbrush scrubbing with Scrubbing Bubbles and a little polish as needed.

DL

+1 I've never put a razor in my mouth.

Lemme see, I gotta get a razor that has some kinda super funk on it that survives scrubbing with a tooth brush and hot water. Then, I gotta cut myself with that razor and then the super funk has to jump from the razor to my cut and then worm it's way into my bloodstream. Is that what we're concerned about? If you like odds like that I suggest you buy lottery tickets. Lots of lottery tickets. :lol:

For $4.00, is it worth taking that chance???? I think not...

Hey, I have an idea, I have a 45 and one slug, you fellows want to play some Russian Roulette?......:001_rolle

For $4.00, is it worth taking that chance???? I think not...

Hey, I have an idea, I have a 45 and one slug, you fellows want to play some Russian Roulette?......:001_rolle

Sure, I'll play Russian Roulette with you provided we use a gun with odds equivalent to those of catching something from a used razor. So, you come up with a revolver with conservatively, a trillion cylinders and I'd be happy to put your one slug in it and pull the trigger - hell, I'll even pull it twice if it makes you happy. I stand a better chance of getting killed on the highway on my way to work by some jerk on his BlackBerry.

Just curious, has anyone ever heard of someone becoming ill using a "infected" razor?

That my friend, is the $64,000 question. Pundits will argue that if someone did become ill they didn't live long enough to post it up on B&B. :lol:

-Clarke

+1 on the flatware.

Isopropyl alcohol then a hot water rinse after they get de-gunked with a toothbrush

My procedure:

For a newly acquired used razor: Hot tap water soak for a few minutes. Scrubbing Bubbles, toothbrush, hot water rinse. Repeat several times if needed(say, a grungy looking old razor)- or if it makes you feel better(say, a razor that looks almost new).

Then maybe a dunk & soak in rubbing alcohol. Rinse & use. Very little is gonna live through that.

After shaving- hot water rinse & shake. I might, or might not, loosen the head a little to let more air around the blade.

WARNING! Do *Not* try the above at home! If you do, you will get every disease known to mankind, some diseases that don't have names yet, and a few that won't even exist for another 20 years. All your babies will be born naked. Your car will blow up, just like in the movies. Sparks will shoot out of your computer, as it becomes self-aware and decides to take over the world. More bad stuff that I can't even think of right now will happen too. TWAWKI will come to an end.:eek:

Or maybe not.:biggrin:

If your razor doesn't look like it's been sitting in the dirt for twenty years, and all it needs is a light cleaning, then a toothbrush and alcohol to clean is all you need to do followed by a ten minute bath in a pot of boiling water. Scrubbing Bubbles is overkill unless you actually have to clean crud off of it. If you have a germ or bacteria that survives an alcohol soak and boiling water, please don't bother leaving your house 'cause the government will be there soon for mandatory quarantine.

Top Bottom