What's new

Country Uncle

Never heard of Country Uncle... If you are looking for a great brush try the Rooney Pure. Check out the Vintage Blades website for more info... Rooney brushes are very nice for the money!

Most likely the Country Uncle brush is a re-branded Tweezerman or Kingsly brush. Not bad, but not great either. YMMV, tho as always...

And WELCOME to B&B!

Last edited:
M

modern man

Country Uncle = Col Conk

Col Conk Brushes = Vulfix (I think)

I would not spend 40 on that particular brush.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Grab a Kent BK4 while the US Dollar remains strong.... Besides the Rooney, it is one of your biggest bangs for the buck...Most likely shipped for under $70.00 and doubtful it will "Conk" out....

http://www.shaveshop.com/brushes.html
I sure does look like Country Uncle is the Col. Conk(Vulfix) brushes at a considerable discount. I think the Col. Conk. brand is overpriced, but these are more reasonable. I feel there are better values out there, could be worth the risk though.

Thank you gentlemen for the wisdom. I have The Art of Shaving brush that came in the starter kit and even though I'm happy with it, I want to upgrade to a silvertip without paying $100+. I'll do some more research until I find one that is reasonably prices without sacrificing quality. That Kent looks pretty good though....

Semogue makes a very good silvertip brush for under $50 shipped if you buy it from vintagescent.com

The Vulfix brushes aren't bad. I think the 1001a is a good starter or travel brush for the money ($24). I had one and it worked fine.

If you can spend a little more, the Semogue brushes are tough to beat.

auravita.com

I just bought mine last night and I think it was $56 shipped.

Based on this post, I actually just ordered a BK4......talk about random purchase. But, I had one before, and really liked it (not sure why I got rid of it), but I paid about $90 shipped previously. Did the currency conversion, and it rang up at about $55 shipped.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Based on this post, I actually just ordered a BK4......talk about random purchase. But, I had one before, and really liked it (not sure why I got rid of it), but I paid about $90 shipped previously. Did the currency conversion, and it rang up at about $55 shipped.

You cant beat the BK4 for $55.00 shipped period! Enjoy!

That's a great deal but I don't really care for the styling, looks like a bowling ball with hair coming out the top. How does it compare to the Rooney 2/1 below?

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's a great deal but I don't really care for the styling, looks like a bowling ball with hair coming out the top. How does it compare to the Rooney 2/1 below?

proxy.php

I have a Rooney 2/1 from VB, and I asked Jim to pick out a brush that wasn't quite as resilient as a 1/1 or 3/1. He did a great job, and I got a brush that is dense, and firm enough to use with soaps (just enough "scrubbiness"....but no "scratch" to it), while being more suited to use with creams.

No matter what preferences you ask Jim for, the 2/1 is going to be substantially denser than the BK4 (I owned a BK4 a while back, and have another one on the way), with substantially more backbone. Also, when bloomed, it's going to have slightly less of a "bulb" shape. I cant' remember enough about the handle size on the BK4, but I don't remember having any problems in terms of comfort or ergonomics. The 2/1's handle is great as well, easy to hold, long enough for bowl lathering with creams, but short enough to be nimble while face lathering.

Really, it's a matter of preference, but both brushes are useable with soaps or creams (though you may have to work more to load the BK4 on a hard soap).

I have a Rooney 2/1 from VB, and I asked Jim to pick out a brush that wasn't quite as resilient as a 1/1 or 3/1. He did a great job, and I got a brush that is dense, and firm enough to use with soaps (just enough "scrubbiness"....but no "scratch" to it), while being more suited to use with creams.

No matter what preferences you ask Jim for, the 2/1 is going to be substantially denser than the BK4 (I owned a BK4 a while back, and have another one on the way), with substantially more backbone. Also, when bloomed, it's going to have slightly less of a "bulb" shape. I cant' remember enough about the handle size on the BK4, but I don't remember having any problems in terms of comfort or ergonomics. The 2/1's handle is great as well, easy to hold, long enough for bowl lathering with creams, but short enough to be nimble while face lathering.

Really, it's a matter of preference, but both brushes are useable with soaps or creams (though you may have to work more to load the BK4 on a hard soap).

That's an incredible review, thank you very much.

I had a "Country Uncle" brush that shed like mad. It lost close to a dozen bristles every time for more than a month. I sent it back and they sent me another one. It shed like mad as well. I found bristles on my face, in my lather, at the bottom of the shower etc. It was shedding so bad it started to stop up the shower. I sent back the second brush and bought a Kent brush instead. I haven't seen the Kent lose a single bristle.

To answer your question:

Yes I own a Country Uncle Full Silver Tip Brush.
I've had it in my rotation for 1/2 a year.
Its a very large and full brush. It has not shed more than two hairs with much use. It is firm yet soft on my face. It lathers great. For the price I think it a fine brush for the money.

I also have and use a Kingsley for Men Imatation horn with nickel handle bottom. Looks like a million bucks. It is a full and firm silver tip that is also soft tipped. I costs about $40 bucks also. Once again a fine brush for the money. It also comes with a lifetime warranty.

You can spend more money and get a Rooney, a Kent or a Shavemac. Its only money. Your hard earned Recession Dollars...I guess you get my drift. I hope this answers you question..

Good shaves to ya;

Andy

Top Bottom