What's new

Factory Edge vs Shave ready Edge.

Are most New Straight Razors from the factory shave ready? Most webistes selling razors do advertise selling them as "Factory Edge"

As for the average consumer, what should he do when buying a "Factory edge Razor" Should he hone it completely from 4000 to 8000 grid or should he just polish it off with the 8000 side.

Your expert advice is most welcomed.

Are most New Straight Razors from the factory shave ready? Most webistes selling razors do advertise selling them as "Factory Edge"
Almost none are from the factory. Unless the vendor states a pre-sharpening option (or it's a custom maker), approach with caution.
As for the average consumer, what should he do when buying a "Factory edge Razor" Should he hone it completely from 4000 to 8000 grid or should he just polish it off with the 8000 side.
For factory razors, I would paint the edge with a marker and use 5-10 laps on my high grit hone. Just to see where the bevels really are. I might then stay on the high grit or drop down in grit, depending on what the marker test results were.

You have to evaluate the edge. Some factory edges are really close to being shave ready and some are no where near and if you are really lucky it may be shave ready. The edge might just need a good stropping on linen and leather or it may be needing quite a few trips on a hone like a 8K or higher.

I wouldn't be messing with the bevel. If a new razor needs bevel work I would return it. Thats a defect.

Factory edge, either send it to a honemeister or purchase with that option. If you are an accomplished honer do it yourself. It cost $20 above the cost of the razor but most str8 shavers would make the recommendation to get it "shave ready" from a pro.

you have to evaluate the edge. Some factory edges are really close to being shave ready and some are no where near and if you are really lucky it may be shave ready. The edge might just need a good stropping on linen and leather or it may be needing quite a few trips on a hone like a 8k or higher.

I wouldn't be messing with the bevel. If a new razor needs bevel work i would return it. Thats a defect.

+1

you have to evaluate the edge. Some factory edges are really close to being shave ready and some are no where near and if you are really lucky it may be shave ready. The edge might just need a good stropping on linen and leather or it may be needing quite a few trips on a hone like a 8k or higher.

I wouldn't be messing with the bevel. If a new razor needs bevel work i would return it. Thats a defect.

+ 1

I would always send a new razor out to a honemeister like Lynn or others. You may be able to get a decent shave from a factory razor, some of them will brutally mess up your face. Either way, a honemeister will make the edge light years better anyway.

Your expert advice is most welcomed.

8k really isn't good enough to polish the edge up. Its good enough to shave with, but its uncomfortable. I start with the finishing stone and then do a shave test (hand/arm/leg) to see how it works.

Top Bottom