What's new

Merkur Futur: What metal is the handle?

Newbie here. My question is the metal used in the handle. The threads and 'business' end or the Merkur Futur handle is brass, but there is another metal over the brass.

And I do not mean the plating. Under the plating. It's very soft, so its not SS.
But its heavy and silver in color.

Does anyone know for sure?

I'm not 100% sure, but I am thinking Zamak.
That is a zinc, aluminum, magnesium and copper alloy. It was developed in Germany, but now it is a common casting metal.

I'm not 100% sure, but I am thinking Zamak.
That is a zinc, aluminum, magnesium and copper alloy. It was developed in Germany, but now it is a common casting metal.

That could be it. I found the handle to be a bit too smooth for my taste so a machined a number of grooves that make it much easier to hold with wet hands. I was expecting the handle to be nickel plated brass, but it was not.
Thank you.

Yes, Cooncat is right. Zamak is a sort of pot metal. It's really not all that bad though.
In my work I have to do layout inspections and testing on various cast housings.
A lot depends on how carefully they were cast and the variant of the pot metal used.
If they were machined out of stainless or A2 or something the cost would be much higher, and the actual fitness for use might not be all that much better.
The nickel plated brass razors they made "back in the day" sure were nice though.

I don't know what it is, but the weight make it feel like it is made out of lead. Maybe that is due to it being a solid handle (i assume).

I took mine apart about a year ago, to put some good PTFE grease on the adjustment threads. I seem to remember that it had a steel insert, a brass bushing, and a big ole beefy spring in there.
I know its a personal thing, but I like the weight and balance of the Futur. When I decided to go back to DE's a couple of years ago, I went down to a local tobacco shop that carried many of the Merkurs. I picked them all up and handled them a little to see which one felt "right" in my hand. That, for me, was the Futur.
I should be content with it, as it always gives me a excellent shave.
But you know how it goes with stuff like this.

I took mine apart about a year ago, to put some good PTFE grease on the adjustment threads. I seem to remember that it had a steel insert, a brass bushing, and a big ole beefy spring in there.
I know its a personal thing, but I like the weight and balance of the Futur. When I decided to go back to DE's a couple of years ago, I went down to a local tobacco shop that carried many of the Merkurs. I picked them all up and handled them a little to see which one felt "right" in my hand. That, for me, was the Futur.
I should be content with it, as it always gives me a excellent shave.
But you know how it goes with stuff like this.
'deed, I do: I "started at the top" with a Vision as my first DE, then got a Futur when my Vision was brutalized in a bathroom accident (not of my hand).

The Vision, of course, is adjustable six ways to Sunday, but the Futur was a somewhat better fit for me overall: as aggressive as you could want (and then some...don't get too slap-happy with adjustments too soon on that bad boy), but somehow a bit more tractable in my hands while maeuvering the tricky stuff.

As far as what the thing's made of? Damned if I know, but the balance is quite good. The thing could be made of pig iron and recycled Bud Light cans for all I know and care (to all metallurgists out there: yeah, I know, iron and aluminum, blah blah blah...). But as long as the thing is made well, and balances well in the hand, All is Good.

- Barrett

Thanks for all the help.
Zamak it is.

Now just have to find out how the exposed surfaces of Zamak that Merkur
use will stand up to bathroom conditions in regards to corrosion etc.

It should be no problem. I frequently test parts made out of the same material.
The standard test, for my outfit anyhow, is 72 hours in an envirement chamber at
80°C and 80% humidity. Thats way worse than your bathroom would ever get.
The Zamak castings usually pass.

Top Bottom