What's new

My new Futur!!

Got it yesterday afternoon, and my first observation was "damn, this thing is BIG." Even so, it seems incredibly well built, and I like the futuristic design (it is definitely an appropriately named razor).

Also, after playing with it for a while, I don't really have the same adjusting issues (danger or cuts, for example) that others have mentioned. I just grab it under the head (right above the handle), and the adjustment moves smoothly.

I was running late to morning class, so I'll have to wait until afterwards to put it to use, but I'll let you guys know how it goes. Any tips on how to maneuver this thing more accurately under the nose??

I have a mustache so I can't offer any advice other than to be careful and move slowly and deliberately. I gave myself a nice nick right below the ear (note to self: wetshaving is supposed to be about beard reduction, not ear reduction :D) because I got in a hurry and set the razor on my skin at the wrong angle with the razor set at 3. Outside of the cut, I had a very nice shave this morning.

Congradulations Spiny,
It is a fine razor once you get the hang of it.
I don't adjust mine all that much. I find that if I just leave it set on about 1.5-2, it shaves everywhere on my face just fine.
If I do want to adjust it, and there is a blade in it, I set the edge of the skin bar against the top of the counter. This holds the head still while I twist the handle.
For shaving close up under the nose, I start with the handle near verticle (pointed toward the floor) and gently push the top cover of the razor up against the bottom of my nose. Then I very gingerly swing the handle up, away from my face until it is nearly horizontal.
With this rotation movement I just shaved close up under my nose.
You may find another technique, but this one works well for me.
Enjoy your shaves,
Mike

Congradulations Spiny,
I don't adjust mine all that much. I find that if I just leave it set on about 1.5-2, it shaves everywhere on my face just fine.
If I do want to adjust it, and there is a blade in it, I set the edge of the skin bar against the top of the counter. This holds the head still while I twist the handle.
For shaving close up under the nose, I start with the handle near verticle (pointed toward the floor) and gently push the top cover of the razor up against the bottom of my nose. Then I very gingerly swing the handle up, away from my face until it is nearly horizontal.
Enjoy your shaves,
Mike

Thank you.....Those are two great tips that I tried and worked perfectly for me and my new Futur.
Now if only I could master the 'chin'.

Congradulations Spiny,
Enjoy your shaves,
Mike

Yeah, thanks for these tips.....

Nosmo, I found I had the same problem today....I couldn't quite find the right angle on the chin. As a result, I had to pass over it more than usual, and it is a little raw.

But, aside from a few raw spots due to my initial failure to find the exact angle, the shave turned out pretty well. I have to say, I've found over the past few days that the Slant and the Futur seem to tame sharp blades like the Feather pretty well.

I'm looking forward to mastering both of these razors, as well as the mighty Feather blade. I think I've been getting better shaves since trading up (though not too far) from Swedes to Feathers, if for no other reason, because I'm more cautious due to the blade's reputation.

I was running late to morning class, so I'll have to wait until afterwards to put it to use, but I'll let you guys know how it goes. Any tips on how to maneuver this thing more accurately under the nose??
Ah...if you think that razor's tough to maneuver right beneath the nose, try doing it with a Vision. :rolleyes:

I've found the Futur to be a very friendly razor, especially with IP blades. Like any new razor, it takes a while to get used to its particular heft and balance; as shyrlock notes, I've never cranked it beyond the "2" setting, which for me is aggressive enough even with two days' growth. (I think the widest I've ever set it was at "4"...not for the meek, I say.)

Good luck with it. I think you made a good choice.

- Barrett

Had one of the best shaves of my life yesterday with a futur set to 1.5, a swede blade and ToBS Eaton College. Fine fine shave.

Top Bottom