What's new

Another one bites the dust...

Hello all! I have finally decided to try something new instead of just continuing with the cartridge razor parade. I originally found out about DE Shaving while searching for treating my acne! One person mentioned switching to DE shaving was the best thing for him as it does have significantly less irritation.

I just had my first DE shave and have tried to use as many tricks and methods found on this forum.

I noticed it was very hard to stick WTG (with the grain right???) and caught myself going ATG and XTG a few times. I know I have to give my face some time to adjust and boy was this true when I rinsed! I could feel all the areas I had tried to get slick with ATG/XTG passes, start to tingle.

I will continue and want to make this work and am sure it will! Shaving was always my least favorite thing and I couldn't have said it better myself then when I watched a youtube video by member mantic59. "Would you like to get a shave soo good soo close and comfortable that you might consider shaving as a pleasurable hobby instead of a painful chore?"

Here is my equipment And I know I have to stick with the same stuff for a while until I pass the learning curve.

Merkur #180
Blade Sampler Pack #1 55 blades
Williams Shaving Soap (I know not the greatest but I was able to get the lather up pretty well)
Van Der Hagen Premium Boar Brush (Also know Its not the greatest but when this starts to break down I will move up to a badger)
STYPTIC PENCIL!

Right Now I have the derby blade in the Merkur, I have 4 more debys and then I must try a new blade. I also have some proraso shaving cream on order but promise not to use it for atleast a week just so I can keep my variables down.

Here was my method:
Fill Lather Bowl With Hot water and stick brush in.
Rinse soap dish with hot water.
Place Dish and bowl in sink of warm water bath.
Take shower, used regular hair conditioner on face and let sit, rinsed, followed with benzac w face cleaning gel for acne rinsed.
Worked lather up, mixed rinsed brush in soap dish then moved to lather bowl and whipped adding very light splashes of water (fingertip splashes) worked well.
Proceeded with Merkur 180 as stated very hard to limit myself to WTG but not too bad, definately not BBS but we will get there one day!
Had to reapply lather but did not do complete second passes just touch up. Jaw line neck are the worst, Chin is very tricky but felt it was very good for practicing blade angle and follow thru.
Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Triple Action Toner
Clean and Clear Moisturizer with SPF 15

All in all a pretty good shave only had to use styptic pencil on one tiny little cut. Thank you all for providing such a great resource, shaving was one of my most dreaded chores and I believe I have found the cure.

Last edited:
If I were stranded on a desert island, with all the shave gear I could ask for, except soap. (and only william's, was available) I would consider growing a beard, despite the fact it makes me look like I'm being attacked by a calico cat.

At least try to find some VanderHagen locally. CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens/Wal-mart all carry it here locally. It's not the best either, but it is light years ahead of williams.

I noticed it was very hard to stick WTG (with the grain right???) and caught myself going ATG and XTG a few times. I know I have to give my face some time to adjust and boy was this true when I rinsed! I could feel all the areas I had tried to get slick with ATG/XTG passes, start to tingle.

Be sure to use the proper technique and remember to do all passes with the idea that you are gradually reducing your beard. I too had a tendency to revert to the ATG on each pass, but discipline yourself to do each pass. Remember that you only need a light pressure with the DE unlike the cartridge.

WOW this is the most active forum I participate in! I had to go through three pages to find my little old new post! Thanks for all the support and help.

Day 2 did not go so well, not as close and had to use the styptic on about 8 spots!!! I am starting to notice one of the biggest faults of the williams and now can not wait to get my proraso! My skin was drying up as I was shaving even with lather still built up. I think I will pick up some preshave cream at my local bath and body works in the meantime.

Top Bottom