What's new

Alum Block VS Deodorant

I use a alum block as a deodorant and have been for a year. Hold it under a cold faucet and then swipe each pit. Works great for me. A the rate the block is deteriorating it should last me till I, die.

Alum last forever (or until you drop it) making it much cheaper and it's way fewer ingredients/chemicals on your skin. Plus, it's unscented, so it won't clash with aftershaves or colognes.

I switched to using an alum deodorant about a month ago for a couple reasons. For one, I found it simply worked better than other deodorants. The other reason is that I was entirely sick of deodorant smell. Even unscented deodorants still smell. I have no idea why alum works, but I'm certainly not going back to modern deodorants.

Since the alum block is unscented, what actually does it do ? Prevents sweating, or neutralizes odour from sweat in armpits ?

it prevents body odour by preventing the formation of bacteria

however it does not stop you sweating (it's just that the sweat doesn't smell)

i am a big fan - i suggest you try it

I have an aversion to using aluminum based deoderants and have been using an alum deoderant for seven years now. I find it works amzingly well.

I've never used alum but it's not anti-pers. - it doesn't close/block the pores so tightly that sweat can't come out. It's like a deodorant in that it creates an antibacterial environment on the areas to which it's applied, and, I assume, sticks there.

Deod. doesn't deodorize because of its scent. It's not cover-up. It's high alcohol content kills odor causing germs. The scent is an added feature - which I don't like.

So I'd like to use alum because as some gentlemen have pointed out it contains no added chemicals.

Now the question I pose to people who use it is: does it last as long as deodorant does? Does it last longer? Any drawbacks? Who makes a good ones? Are there stores from which I can buy it rather than have to hunt online?

it prevents body odour by preventing the formation of bacteria

however it does not stop you sweating (it's just that the sweat doesn't smell)

i am a big fan - i suggest you try it

I have an aversion to using aluminum based deoderants and have been using an alum deoderant for seven years now. I find it works amzingly well.

I've never used alum but it's not anti-pers. - it doesn't close/block the pores so tightly that sweat can't come out. It's like a deodorant in that it creates an antibacterial environment on the areas to which it's applied, and, I assume, sticks there.

Deod. doesn't deodorize because of its scent. It's not cover-up. It's high alcohol content kills odor causing germs. The scent is an added feature - which I don't like.

So I'd like to use alum because as some gentlemen have pointed out it contains no added chemicals.

Now the question I pose to people who use it is: does it last as long as deodorant does? Does it last longer? Any drawbacks? Who makes a good ones? Are there stores from which I can buy it rather than have to hunt online?

Thanks for the clarification all and thank Kevah for posting this question. So do you all have a favorite type that you use? Links? I'm intrigued/interested now.

Lasts at least as long, maybe longer than standard deodorant. The only drawback I can think of is that you need a little moisture to apply it, but that's not really a big deal. I think the one I use is just called Crystal. It's not one of those things you need a good brand for since all it is is an alum crystal. I think most stores that sell deodorants carry them, but health food stores definitely do.

I think that while the types of alum are different (potassium vs. ammonium), a shaving alum crystal and a deodorant alum crystal do basically the same thing, so if you have an alum block for shaving, you can just give it a run to see if you like it before buying the deodorant.

I have been using alum occassionally for a while now. I find that it is not as effective through the day as a normal roll-on, After about 12 hours I would need a wash and reapplication of Alum. So I use the Alum after a early evening shower before going out for a night. But Alum has never irritated my skin, many regular deodorants do.

There is also the environmental aspect, regular deodarants are full of chemicals, use loads of packaging and run out quickly. Alum had no packaging and will last me for the next 5 years at least.

Question, do you wet the alum, apply to the pit, and then rinse it off like you would as an after-shave measure or do you just leave it on?

I just leave it on. But I rinse my alum deodorant stick over running water before putting the cap back on. I momentarily forgot what brand I'm using but I think it's around $3 at Walgreens. I've tried other deodorants but I keep coming back to this product for it's effectiveness.

In the Philippines, alum used to be all that was ever used as deodorant and I think it's still available as a literally a rock crystal.

I think the roll-ons are all ammonium alum, and the crystal ones are potassium alum. I don't think the roll-ons last as long as the crystals, which I use.

Here is the one I have from Amazon. It works great and is a large size:

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Thai-Cry..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1235674981&sr=8-1

I find it works better than regular deoderants. It lasts 24 hours on me and I get absolutely no odor. I'm never going back to regular deoderants or antiperspirants.

Here's the Amazon description:

Product Description
YES IT WORKS...This deodorant Stone is the finest body deodorant on the market today. Your entire family will find this crystal stone the be the most effective deodorant they will ever use. Men, women and teens all love it! The deodorant stone is over 300% more effective than commercial deodorants, and yet it is also 100% pure and natural. The deodorant sore doesnt contain any harsh chemicals, perfumes, oils, emulsifiers, alcohol, or propellants. It is made from potassium sulfate and other mineral slats which are crystallized over a period of months, then hand shaped and smoother. (It contains no aluminum chlorohydates.) Our stone is not sticky or greasy, will not stain clothing, irritate your skin, or leak in your suitcase. It is the finest product on the market today and best of all...IT WORKS! HOW IT WORKS...The deodorant stone is not a cover-up nor does it clog pores. The deodorant stone actually inhibits bacterial growth on your body. This bacterial growth is what causes body odor. So by eliminating this odor-causing bacteria, we have eliminated body odor. The stone attacks the problem, not the results of the problem. The stone does not have perfume that only covers one odor with another artificial odor like some sprays or powders. The deodorant stone leaves an invisible layer of protection that prevents odor-causing bacteria from forming and leaves you feeling fresh and clean all through the day. Economical...As if the mere fact that this is the finest deodorant available on the market today wasn't enough of a reason for you to buy, how about this. One of these deodorant stones lasts months, up to a year. For only pennies a day you receive maximum protection at a fraction of the cost of commercial deodorants.

Last edited:
I have been using Crystal foa about a year.

I gave some to my daughter who later told me that the crystal itself smelled like BO. I found that she was trying to use it mid day. at that point the bacteria had already done it's thing and the odor was already present.

I just assumed that she would use it imediately after the shower but I was wrong.

So to use it, I wash with an antibacterial soap, then apply immediately after by passing it under cold water from the faucet and then apply in the pit. repeat for the other and then I am usually good for 24 hours. On occasion and I am not sure if it has to do with faulty application, different environment or diet, but I have noticed the onset of odor near the end of the work day. Not extreme but just detectable. But in most cases it is amazing how well it works.

You know Alum contains aluminum, right?

Oh, and you know what else is natural? Asbestos, and arsenic, nickel metal. Not everything natural is good for you.

I have been using an alum block purchased from Walgreens for some time, and must say that I have had zero irritation, and enough odor control to get me through the day. It absolutely MUST be applied to clean skin though, else it's uses are diminished.

You know Alum contains aluminum, right?

Oh, and you know what else is natural? Asbestos, and arsenic, nickel metal. Not everything natural is good for you.

Well, there are two types of this. There is a phosphorous alum and aluminium alum. Both work well, but the phosphorous is more desirable due to it not having aluminium. The primary benefit of an alum block is the lack of additional chemicals. You could put an alum block to most of your body without irritation. Try that with Right Guard! This is definitely better for your skin than regular deodorant, as this does not stop your natural release of odor, but simply controls it. Deodorant sticks such as right guard prevent you from sweating, which IMO is not something the body likes. Just like medical birth control: The female body is not meant to think and act as if it is pregnant 3/4 of the month.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out of me :tongue_sm

Top Bottom