What's new

Alum Block VS Deodorant

I tried a travel size of the Crystal stick. It is alright but just didn't seem to last for me so I switched to arm and hammer natural.

I use the cheap Alum blocks from best shave in the Fall/Winter months. I don't have as of an experience when it's hot out.

I am curious about this. I bought a block of barber's alum (potassium alum) as a styptic pencil alternative. Stings less but I don't think it works as well. Tough to tell because I don't cut myself too often!

Anyhow, I anticipate going to an undisclosed location for work next year, where the summers are 110-120 degrees and humidity is very high. I will try the alum there under those conditions and report back.

I am curious about this. I bought a block of barber's alum (potassium alum) as a styptic pencil alternative. Stings less but I don't think it works as well. Tough to tell because I don't cut myself too often!

Anyhow, I anticipate going to an undisclosed location for work next year, where the summers are 110-120 degrees and humidity is very high. I will try the alum there under those conditions and report back.

Less stinging just means your Technique and shaves are close without being irritating, you could shave some of your block into a powder to treat any nics or cuts you might encounter in the future. As a deodorant/antiperspirant, I usually rub the wet block for ~15-20 seconds under each arm, works great during the Summer in LV, IIRC where you're going it's a little hotter & drier, went twice MEself.

I tried the alum crystal and gave up on it thinking it wasn't working well. I had a look at this thread again because I wasn't liking the Arm & Hammer A.P. that I was using at all. Sticky, clumpy, left white streaks, etc.
So, I decided to try this again but paid more attention to getting the alum over the entire surface area of the armpit, and applying it right after a shower. This has made all the difference in the world, it's working very well now. Still sweat of course, but no funk. I'm pretty sold on it.

I use my RazoRock alum stick as my deodorant after I shower now. I don't use it on my face anymore, FYI. It works at stopping odors all day before your next shower.

I've fought with deodorant and anti-perspirents for years, even ruining shirts in the process. There's something with my sweat, that, when mixed with the sticky stuff, works the BO into my shirts and will not come out. After that happens, I'll wear the shirt for an hour and the rank smell will start rising. This spring, I finally bought a few cheap alum bars on Ebay so I decided to try one on the pits. Wow! This stuff works! Obviously doesn't help with sweat but definitely takes care of the stench all day, even working outside in the heat. Now, I apply the alum and then put a half a spray of Cool Water on each pit and I'm good to go!

thinking about switching to alum but my concern is sweat stains. how do you guys, especially those that wear dress shirts daily, mitigate this?

...how do you guys...
I imagine this would be a clear case of each individual body chemistry. Anyway, from the people that I know using alum crystal (ammonium and potassium) there are no sweat stains.
I use potassium alum spray for the convenience and have to apply it every day otherwise I get BO. With a regular deodorant stick I could go two days without any trace of BO.
I am much happier now with alum, and I must admit that when travelling I use a deodorant stick.

I've been using the Razorock Spray Alum deodorant for a couple of weeks now, I wanted to give it a decent run before I mentioned it. I'm dead impressed with this stuff. I've had no odor issues at all regardless of activity and it keeps the smell at bay until you shower again and re-apply.

A really nice use for this spray is also keeping your feet from funking up Vibram Five Fingers. If you've ever warn them and used them with anger, you know they will begin to smell and smell bad very quickly. I started with a pair of washed Five Fingers and have been wearing them for a lot of activity for the time I've been using the spray and there is 0 noticeable odor. That in itself is worth it to me. I suspect if you wear Keen sandels it would work the same. I'll have to try them next.

Interesting... I'm really curious to try this out. I'm always on the lookout for unscented products with as few ingredients as possible and using Alum Rock as a deodorant seem like a great idea if it works.

I read somewhere that I may be able to find a cheap alum rock in Indian grocery stores. I'm in SF so I should be able to track that down somewhere.

thinking about switching to alum but my concern is sweat stains. how do you guys, especially those that wear dress shirts daily, mitigate this?

I can't say about you're environment, but when I'm working in the office I wear a sports coat and tie in every morning, then hang the jacket wearing only a shirt throughout the day.

In my office environment I don't find that I sweat through so long as I wear a reasonable tee shirt to absorb and wick away the sweat. If we're doing something pretty physical occasionally then everybody is sweating, so no one notices or cares.

YMMV.

By wearing a T-shirt underneath. Let the t-shirt take the abuse. It will extend the service life of your dress shirts dramatically. If you are inside most of the day, you will not notice the additional layer, especially if it is a cotton t-shirt.

I'm in and out all day, the only time its a "bother" is on job sites in July/August. But then I'm glad I've got the t-shirt underneath to absorb the sweat first.

By wearing a T-shirt underneath. Let the t-shirt take the abuse. It will extend the service life of your dress shirts dramatically. [...]

I'm in and out all day, the only time its a "bother" is on job sites in July/August. But then I'm glad I've got the t-shirt underneath to absorb the sweat first.

So true!

When I was younger I had the mistaken idea that wearing a tee shirt underneath when it was hot would make me hotter.

A guy who was then the age I am now told me what a knuckle head I was. By providing a reasonably close fitting surface a tee shirt puts the evaporative cooling taking place next to your torso instead of on your outer shirt. If you're like me you do not wear your outer shirts so small they're form fitting. Plus the outer shirts then don't get so much abuse, as pointed out.

Just a thank you note for starting this thread and all the many replies and info. I was skeptical at first. I thought I'd have gigantic wet patches under each arm (that's what the manufacturers of anti-perspirant would have you think).

Instead its the best thing I have ever used!
- It lasts over a day,
- It never results in an off smell,
- None of my shirts have that smelly build up of deodorant,

Mitchum, Right Guard, Sure, Loreal all had the above problems.

I am using Pitrock. Yes, I could have bought cheaper, but i wanted something that actually looked like a normal deodorant, so I didn't look odd at the gym. Also, I like the fact it is already super smooth.

Thanks for this thread. It actually is a revelation for me. Wonder how you can never stop learning.

I'm a staunch anti-deodorant guy and this is going to be the way forward for me.

I've been using an alum crystal deodorant for over a year, it's much better than the aerosols, more effective and no more build-up on my shirts.

Top Bottom