What's new

Strop Abuse?

I have a Tony Miller Apprentice strop, which has been put to little use. however, after diligently reading up on correct stropping methods, im realizing i have been using a tad more than slightly too much pressure.

the result is spots of un-smoothness in the leather, and even a light crease where the blade dips just a little bit easier.

what is my solution? strop oil? paste it and buy a new one?

thanks for your help!

what exactly do you mean "a light crease where the blade dips"?

generally speaking though, when a strop gets a kink in it, a bit of strop dressing and being hung/lay down flat for a while with a few reps should get it back humming

what exactly do you mean "a light crease where the blade dips"?

generally speaking though, when a strop gets a kink in it, a bit of strop dressing and being hung/lay down flat for a while with a few reps should get it back humming

by light crease, i mean the strop has lost it's integrity just a touch. it hasn't been folded or "creased" but when there is a little be of pressure the blade will sink into the fold creating less than a perfect strop motion.

strop dressing sounds like it might be the ticket! will that take care of the minor roughness that's occurred?

Yes, strop dressing should smooth out any coarseness. Some people abrade their strops with pumice to create more draw. You can also use neets foot oil, which Tony sends with each strop.

Yes, strop dressing should smooth out any coarseness. Some people abrade their strops with pumice to create more draw. You can also use neets foot oil, which Tony sends with each strop.

Excellent, Thank you! the pumice sounds interesting, but wouldn't you also need a smooth strop to use afterwards?

Now that you mention it, i remember a vial being included with the strop. am i correct in assuming Neatsfoot oil = strop dressing?

Excellent, Thank you! the pumice sounds interesting, but wouldn't you also need a smooth strop to use afterwards?

Now that you mention it, i remember a vial being included with the strop. am i correct in assuming Neatsfoot oil = strop dressing?

I don't know what one would do after using the pumice, I like my TM's the way they are built. Still have the first latigo strop I picked up from him. It has a wonderful feel.

Both strop dressing and neatsfoot oil soften and preserve leather; either will work on a strop. (Neatsfoot oil is rendered from bovine feet and shins, no idea what strop dressing is made from)

You could iron it out, use same heat as for wool: both wool and leather are protein based. Protect iron and board with protective layer of paper as some oils will leak out.

Top Bottom