What's new

Indulgence of the Night 10/23 - 10/29

Business brunch this morning. Had to start early so in the spirit of things I was drinking sangria with my chorizo and eggs.

What a great way to start the day and week! :biggrin:

jduffy said:
Business brunch this morning. Had to start early so in the spirit of things I was drinking sangria with my chorizo and eggs.

What a great way to start the day and week! :biggrin:

I'm in the wrong business...

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Got a whole mess of king crab legs for tonight. I won't even mind having to drink (shudder) white wine with them.:thumbup1:

Last night. Southern food time.... Yes, in NYC, and no, I actually did not make it. And NO I did NOT go to Sylvia's Tourist Trap. Little (typical NYC size - maybe 40-50 seats) place called Amy Ruth's, on 116th street.

Wow, I had no idea you could get food like that up here. About the best fried chicken I've ever had. And great veggies (we had mac & cheese, green beans, collards, and fried okra. The okra was a little odd - very fluffy batter, almost tempura like, not the cornmeal breading I'm used to - only thing that wasn't spot on). Also got smothered turkey wings. The chef here sure knows the art of smothering.... And don't get me started on the corn bread....

I needed the 40 block walk home, that's for sure....

-Mo

moses said:
Last night. Southern food time.... Yes, in NYC, and no, I actually did not make it. And NO I did NOT go to Sylvia's Tourist Trap. Little (typical NYC size - maybe 40-50 seats) place called Amy Ruth's, on 116th street.

Wow, I had no idea you could get food like that up here. About the best fried chicken I've ever had. And great veggies (we had mac & cheese, green beans, collards, and fried okra. The okra was a little odd - very fluffy batter, almost tempura like, not the cornmeal breading I'm used to - only thing that wasn't spot on). Also got smothered turkey wings. The chef here sure knows the art of smothering.... And don't get me started on the corn bread....

I needed the 40 block walk home, that's for sure....

-Mo

The first time I ate cornbread here in Salt Lake City, I knew one thing. Either they couldn't make cornbread, or based on the sugar content, they couldn't bake a cake.

Randy

Dark Star from the Grateful Dead's 1973-06-10 show at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium

26 minutes of bliss. its a great one!

:thumbup1:

Just for Ouch.

Finished the interconnects that will go from the amplifier to the preamp. Note the right angle connectors as the amplifier has its RCA jacks on the top. Also a pic of my work area. I'm actually answering emails while I solder. Not the best habit to get into. Got a nice iron burn on my left hand. :mad:

Yep, I'm turning into one of those guys.

ouch

jduffy said:
Just for Ouch.

Finished the interconnects that will go from the amplifier to the preamp. Note the right angle connectors as the amplifier has its RCA jacks on the top. Also a pic of my work area. I'm actually answering emails while I solder. Not the best habit to get into. Got a nice iron burn on my left hand. :mad:

Yep, I'm turning into one of those guys.

Nice job! They look great, and probably sound as good as Nordost's $3,300/m Valhallas.

ouch said:
Nice job! They look great, and probably sound as good as Nordost's $3,300/m Valhallas.

<rant mode on>
No kidding! I've never understood the whole high end cable/interconnect thing and I'm an electrical engineer. If it does make such a huge difference, there is still no excuse for prices like that. There is only so much engineering and manufacturing cost that can go into piece of cable, and it sure doesn't add up to four figures, or even three unless precious metals are involved.

I use heavy gauge copper cable to connect my Maggies to my Bryston, and I use Radio Shack Gold interconnects for everything else. One of these days, I'll make my own. I have noticed a subtle difference with some cables like Transparent, but there are a whole lot of things one can do to improve system sound before they go to such expense.
<rant mode off>

ouch

People who claim to be able to discern differences between competently made cables are deluding themselves, and I don't believe that anyone has ever been able to demonstrate that ability under controlled conditions.

There was a long standing offer of $1500 to anyone who could do so on rec-audio-high-end. When it comes time to put up or shut up, these mysterious abilities seem to disappear.

There are even noteworthy audio writers who claim to detect a difference between digital interconnects. Simply put, if you're hearing different sounds when the cable between a CD transport and a DAC is replaced, you either have a faulty cable, or you receive telepathic messages from your neighbor's dog. :001_wub:

Thanks for the compliment Ouch.

And murchmb, I agree. My personal favorite is the speaker cable that goes for $695 a foot. My entire system would cost about a foot and a half worth of that cable. :wink:

Last night...

Makers Manhattan on the rocks.

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. Nice relaxing evening. Just need to work on the pipe technique.

a pinch of long cut Copenhagen

Edcculus said:
Dark Star from the Grateful Dead's 1973-06-10 show at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium

26 minutes of bliss. its a great one!

:thumbup1:

Excellent selection Ed! Was that from a Dick's Picks?

Joe, I didn't know you are a Cope fan! I had a nice plug of Cope Straight in this evening!

But later it was a nice long, cold weather walk with the dog and a pipe. Then some Talisker 10 when I got home to warm me up. Excellent. I should put it in the flask next time though.

TraderJoe said:
Excellent selection Ed! Was that from a Dick's Picks?

Pretty sure its not a Dicks Picks. I grabbed the soundboards before GD productions decided to pull them from the internet. You can stream the show here.

Tim - Have you tried the cope "Black"? I haven't, but wonder how it is.

Ed - Thanks for the link man, thats awesome!

btw - if you have Sirius, they play quite a bid of Dead on JamOn. I have requested a Dead channel many times, but no response.

TraderJoe said:
Tim - Have you tried the cope "Black"? I haven't, but wonder how it is.

Not a fan, I really expected that I would be because I'm a bourbon nut, I honestly I like it least of all of the cope's. THe straight is my favorite, it's sweetened lightly with molasses, but otherwise it's the same as the long cut. I have a tin of the snuff and one of straight I always keep around, also mixing the two together is nice, because it lessens the sweetness of the straight, adds more flavor with the snuff and makes it easier to keep in one place with the long cut, it's a nice way to chew.
For the black, I've actually had better luck, adding a few drops of bourbon into a fairly dry tin, then going for the imitation bourbon flavor. Also a couple of drops of an Islay Scotch are very nice as well.

ouch said:
There are even noteworthy audio writers who claim to detect a difference between digital interconnects. Simply put, if you're hearing different sounds when the cable between a CD transport and a DAC is replaced, you either have a faulty cable, or you receive telepathic messages from your neighbor's dog. :001_wub:

I have all sorts of weird stories from audiophiles about what they could hear or not hear.... I have to laugh over the telepathic messages from your neighbors dog... that's about it.

I have always wanted to meet someone who would pay $695.ft for /cable.... :biggrin: That's nuts. Even if the wire was pure gold, an audio signal is electronic and uses skin effect. Gold plated would work just as well. Even if you use gold plated connectors, they only do you as well as your wire, so if you are not using gold plated wire, you're not doing yourself a lot of good paying the extra cash for the gold connectors, even tho they are nice...... and let's not even get into the audio myth of oxygen free copper... OFHC is very brittle and will corrupt easily, do not use this near salt water....

All you need is a high strand count of pure copper, a good insulation, preferrably Poly pro or foamed PE with the proper impedance ( judged by the amount of insulation material diameter) for digital you want 110 ohm. period preferably the foamed PE, good solder interconnects, high quality connectors and a nice strain relief so there is not too much of an angle at your connection point. The right angle connectors are a nice alternative, but I would still use a piece of shrink tube over your crimp/solder point. 24g is kind of skinny, but for 2' patch cords, what's the difference.....

Alright audiophiles, jump all over me now... :w00t: :rolleyes:

Top Bottom