What's new

Safety Razor question...

Umm..I have been using my #178 HD ( I believe its HD in my profile pic and also posted my betterversion into the safety razor pics section)..
and things have been great as far as sampling many razors and am leaning to the Astra Russian made ones..I have tried Merkur, Gillette PermaSharp, sword n wilkinson india, treet..both black and regular blades..n other ones

Astras are kinda like a knock off of the Gillette Swedes with half the price! ;-)..anyways...my question is is it worth switching to a #198 HD Slantbar..any different than mine?...thoughts/suggestions..BTW: I have coarse sensetive skin..and get the under the nose shaving part annoyed when I usually nick my rightside, not my left..normal? (I'm a righty)
I dont put ANY aftershave on my skin...even water gets my face red n blotchy..Thnx!

Last edited:
the slant is a great razor it will generally give a closer shave in less passes, now is it worth buying just for a better shave I don't know only you can answer that, but as it sounds like you are developing RAD...... :lol:

I acquired a Long handle 39C from my wife for Christmas and it shaves astonishingly close.
But its a fearsome tool , its nowhere near as forgiving as my HD.
So if your technique isnt down pat.. you may find your shaves a little more colourful than usual.

I have not used a slant yet but have found that open-comb razors give me a better shave than the standard head Merkur.

In regards to the shaving left v. right sides of face. Yes, many of us have commented on that. The trend does appear that right handed shavers get better shaves on their left side of their face. However, many more experienced members say that even out as you develop more technique. My trouble spot is still the lower part of my neck on my right side, but I have gotten much better and it isn't as noticeable anymore. Keep on working on your technique and things will improve.

If you have succumbed RAD then you will buy the slant ... and probably others. Go for it.

The slant was my favourite razor until I got a Vision. But is can be a very unforgiving razor. It will improve your technique; and you can count the number of weepers after ever shave to check whether you are improving ;-)

In regards to the shaving left v. right sides of face. Yes, many of us have commented on that. The trend does appear that right handed shavers get better shaves on their left side of their face. However, many more experienced members say that even out as you develop more technique. My trouble spot is still the lower part of my neck on my right side, but I have gotten much better and it isn't as noticeable anymore. Keep on working on your technique and things will improve.
I agree with this. When I started with DEs I got nervous about this very matter, but as I got used to the routine, I loosened up a bit, and working both sides with one hand (or occasionally switching off to the left hand) felt totally natural. You'll have more mishaps from nervousness than anything else, so the key thing is to be calm and methodical (try not to be in a hurry about it).

The slant was my favourite razor until I got a Vision. But is can be a very unforgiving razor. It will improve your technique; and you can count the number of weepers after ever shave to check whether you are improving ;-)
Never used a slant myself, but I do have a Vision. (Whew...that almost sounds presidential.:wink:) That razor can be fierce if you don't watch yourself. It will also give you about the closest shave in the fewest passes when you get good and cozy with it.

- Barrett

Top Bottom