What's new

Newbie with a question about shaving cream vs. shaving soap

Good Evening B&B members, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and you guys are a wealth of great information. Yesterday, I purchased my first DE razor (Merkur 38M HD Long Handle Barber Pole Safety Razor in Matte Chrome) and Standard Blade Sample Pack from West Coast Shaving and I'm looking forward to re-learning the craft. I purchased the barber pole because I believe the longer length will allow me to find the correct shaving angle/position without applying more pressure to my face. Last week I purchased an AoS starter set and used it for the first time today with my Fusion Razor. Even though I was using a Fusion razor, I could tell the difference in my shave after using the badger brush to apply cream. I created lather in the palm of my hand and it was quick and easy, even with the cheap brush that came with the AoS set. I'm not new to high-end shaving products, I normally use Zirh Aloe Shave Gel or Kiehls with Aloe and Kiehls Facial Fuel face wash and moisterizer. Even though I bought a new DE razor, I'll continue to use the Fusion when in rush since I have little time in the morning before I have to be out the door at 7AM. Sorry for the long post, I wanted to provide a background.

Quick question: Shaving Soap vs. Shaving Cream; how do I know which is right for me and what's the difference? I hope its not as simple as one's a cream and one's soap.

Last edited:
There is only one way to know if you are a cream or a soap guy. Buy both and see for youself.
I started shaving with creams, it is easies to build lather and they are more forgiving and then slowly graduated to soaps. Now I mostly shave with soaps but have many creams that are considered staples.

Best of luck

Welcome to B&B, Cuttingboard:

1. When it comes to soap vs. cream, the common wisdom is that soaps lubricate better and creams moisturize better. There are other differences as well. I find that soaps seem to last longer while it takes less time to work up a good lather with creams. IMO, the only thing to do is try a good one of each. I like French soaps such as Provence Sante and Institut Karite. Both are quite moisturizing for soaps. Good creams are C&E, T&H, and TOBS to name a few. Browse the reviews under each category and pick one soap and one cream. See which one you like better.

2. Here is a link that may help you decide on a shaving brush. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46429

Have fun!!

Welcome to B&B

A floppy brush is generally better with soaps then creams and bowl lathering then face lathering, while a stiff brush is better with soaps and face lathering that is not to say you can't or won't find a brush that does all well in fact there are many or you can't make a floppy brush with soaps and face lathering you can it just requires a little more work, trying to find out what you prefer is part of the fun

creams generally make lather easier then soaps, but soaps are generally slicker but as with brushes or anything here your experience may differ

Oh EJ in fake horn HERE and on sale!

As a newbie I found it a lot easier to use creams to start. The reason for this was that I could get an exact amount of cream out of the tub every day so I was able to quickly learn the correct water ratio etc. Creams are also easier to lather up anyway.

At the end of the day, like people have said, both are just as good - it is your personal preferance that will decide.

Welcome to B&B, Cuttingboard:

1. When it comes to soap vs. cream, the common wisdom is that soaps lubricate better and creams moisturize better. There are other differences as well. I find that soaps seem to last longer while it takes less time to work up a good lather with creams. IMO, the only thing to do is try a good one of each.

+++1 I prefer soaps and face lathering. You may want to check out Mama Bears Soaps, they come in a handy plastic container and are easy to store.

I think I'll order some Provence Sante and/or Institut Karite but I've only found the soap refills and since I'm new, I do not have a soap bowl and would require a lid. Are all soap refills close to the same size?

I think I'll order some Provence Sante and/or Institut Karite but I've only found the soap refills and since I'm new, I do not have a soap bowl and would require a lid. Are all soap refills close to the same size?

You can buy the plastic containers at Mama Bears as well http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=219. If your soap does not fit, you may have to cut the outer edges of your puck to make it fit. I have done this with Trumpers and other brands.

Top Bottom