What's new

Cream turning to snowflakes. Normal??

I'm using TOBS and D.R. Harris creams. I just started shaving with a straight so it takes me longer than when I shaved with my DE. I apply a thick coat of lather to my face but I've found that if I take too much time, the lather starts to disintegrate and starts floating away like snowflakes. I've never experienced this with my DE because I shave pretty quickly but with a straight, if I spend too much time on the cheeks, chin and upper-lip, by the time I get to my neck, the shaving cream is much thinner and starts floating away. Is the "snowflake effect" normal? :confused:

Thanks.

yah - that happens as it dries out. You could try making your lather a bit wetter at the beginning. You could also try (while youre starting out with a straight) to later bits of your face at a time - ie:

lather cheeks
shave cheeks
lather goatee zone
shave goatee zone
lather neck
shave neck

repeat all for each pass

as you get more comforable with a straight you will be able to do it pretty much as fast as a DE so the flaking shouldnt be a problem for long

You could also try (while youre starting out with a straight) to later bits of your face at a time - ie:

lather cheeks
shave cheeks
lather goatee zone
shave goatee zone
lather neck
shave neck

repeat all for each pass

Works like a charm!
I usually lather my face, shave, lather neck, shave.

This isn't at all uncommon. I experienced this more when I was a Noob and took forever to shave. To correct it I started with a slightly wetter lather. As time went on and my technique improved I got faster and faster and this is no longer an issue.

Happened to me as well, make sure you dont use extra hot water in your lather, since it will evapurate quicker.

Try taking more time making your lather, Use plenty of the cream in the bottom of the bowl, and begin to fop your lather. Put the faucet just above a drip, but not a continuous stream, and as your lather looks like it is coming together give it a quick pass under the faucet and keep fopping. As you are fopping keep pulling the lather back down to the botom of the bowl off of the sides. Repeat this a few times. Take your time building the lather. *Take your time building the lather.* Ok now if you think that you have a good lather in the bowl, take the brush to the face. Use a face lathering technique (basically fop on the face starting at one cheek and moving over to the other without breaking contact with the skin) to 1) Massage your skin 2) Prep your beard 3) Strengthen the lather. Do this for thirty seconds to one minute, then do the paint brush manuver. With the face fully coated with this thick very hydrated lather you should be able to get the job done. This is the way that I improved my lathermaking because I had the same problem when I started. This lather when done correctly will last you more than long enough. I guaruntee it. Good luck, and Welcome to Straights. It is the only way to shave.

Paul.
(If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM)

Sounds like your lather is to dry. I lather in a bowl so all I do is add a little water to the brush and do a couple of quick whips. If you face lather you can do the same thing and just all a little water to the brush and go to town.

Take Care,
Richard

sounds like your lather is to dry. I lather in a bowl so all i do is add a little water to the brush and do a couple of quick whips. If you face lather you can do the same thing and just all a little water to the brush and go to town.

Take care,
richard

++1

Top Bottom