What's new

Contrast/Compare Spyderco Knives

I'm blaming it on Suzuki's recent quest for a new EDC. :tongue_sm I've been thinking about adding another Spyderco to my rotation, which has gotten quite stale of late - I simply continue to grab my user Delica 4 SE/PE combo. The knives I currently have on my short list are:

Centofante IV - 3" VG-10 Wharncliff PE Blade, FRN Handle
Native III - 3"+ VG-10 Spear-Point PE Blade, FRN Handle
Native IV - 3"+ S30V Spear-Point PE Blade, FRN Handle
Caly III - 3" VG-10 "Leaf Blade" PE Blade, G10 Handle

Price wise the first two are identical, the Native IV may be @ $10 more than the first two, while the Caly III is close to double the first two. The Caly III is on the very edge of my budget limit for an EDC folder.

I'm not a huge fan of the spear-point, but the Native looks to be a very solid knife and might well be considered a Spyderco "classic". I don't know how well it fits in the hand. I would likely lean more towards the IV to get the S30V steel since I already have some VG-10 knives.

I view the Centofante as more of a gentleman's knife than a user, with it's "bug" inlay. I don't have a Wharncliff bladed knife, so there's that draw.

The Caly III just looks like a beast of a user, has a wire clip that sits deep in the pocket (which is something my Delica does not do) and of course the tactile feature of the G10 scales.

Those are my thoughts. What about you people that already own one or more of these knives? I doubt there is a weak knife in the bunch.

I'd go Caly3 as well. By the way, the Native 4 is the Carbon Fiber model with VG-10, which is probably $40 more than the Caly3. The Native FRN is the S30V model and the Native III is the VG-10 model with a more 3d handle shape. I handled both of them and while both feel pretty good, the III is a bit better in my hand. The problem is that it is not as thin as the other due to the shape of the handle.

Native FRN
proxy.php

Native III
proxy.php

Native IV
proxy.php

I'd go Caly3, between the G-10, the great handle and the blade size, it's one precise cutter.
How long have you had yours? Does it get much pocket time?

I'd go Caly3 as well. By the way, the Native 4 is the Carbon Fiber model with VG-10, which is probably $40 more than the Caly3. The Native FRN is the S30V model and the Native III is the VG-10 model with a more 3d handle shape. I handled both of them and while both feel pretty good, the III is a bit better in my hand. The problem is that it is not as thin as the other due to the shape of the handle.
Ahh, yes you're right. It is the Native FRN to which I was referring. I'm not inclined to pay much of a premium for CF. G10, yes. Interesting and helpful info on the handle feel.

Thus far I'm not too surprised at the recommendation of the Caly III. It is the direction I'm been leaning toward. But I'm still open to more opinions. Come on guys change my mind. :smile:

I,..like the FRN s30v Native, I have carried one on and off for...about 4 or 5 Years, its always in the top 5 Knives in EDC rotation, for me its easy to sharpen, I dont let My Knives get dull,...excellent for Heavy Cardboard and plastic straps,...I tested it Breaking down Veal Hindquarters, and it surprisingly well :w00t::w00t:

How long have you had yours? Does it get much pocket time?

I don't own a Caly3, but I have used one. It's one of the steadiest knives I've ever used. I can't deploy Spyderco's as quick as Benchmades which I prefer the latter most of the time. I really just don't like thumbholes. But for simply a cutting tool you can't go wrong with a Caly3.

I don't own a Caly3, but I have used one. It's one of the steadiest knives I've ever used. I can't deploy Spyderco's as quick as Benchmades which I prefer the latter most of the time. I really just don't like thumbholes. But for simply a cutting tool you can't go wrong with a Caly3.

That's my issue with the Spydercos - I just don't like thumbholes - both in terms of functionality and appearance.

But you can't deny that they're good, practical knives.

Top Bottom