What's new

Styptic Pencil

I expect I will cut myself the first few weeks of shaving with a safety razor as I have been using a cartridge my whole life. Should I get a styptic pen or will Proraso aftershave be alright for cuts?

MCanavan6 said:
I expect I will cut myself the first few weeks of shaving with a safety razor as I have been using a cartridge my whole life. Should I get a styptic pen or will Proraso aftershave be alright for cuts?

You'll want the pencil, around $3.29 at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

J

Most aftershaves won't do anything to stop bleeding. An alum block will help a little bit, but you really need a styptic pencil for the gushers.

I would like to tell you not to expect to cut yourself. Just go slow and use short strokes and you will be fine. I use an alum block before and after every shave and stops any small weepers.

As cheap as they are, it'd be silly not to at least keep one around for any accidents. Sometimes you'll finish up with a little weeper, and the cold splash will take care of things. For anything bigger, I use a styptic.

Styptic is a must have for every shaving locker.

BTW I cut myself far less with a DE than with the multi-blades. I almost never draw blood, not even the little weepers.

YMMV of course but good luck to you sir! :biggrin:

You know, it's strange. No matter what shaving method I use, and no matter how much I cut myself (and when I used a Fusion, it was quite a lot), I never seem to bleed badly enough to need a styptic pencil. But then again, I think I've always been a fast clotter.

Agree with Jduffy. I find it very rare that I cut myself while shaving. I think the key is to go slow and just think about what you're doing. That being said, I do keep a styptic pencil on-hand just in case (both at home and for travel).

Stauff said:
Get a pencil AND get ready for one hell of a nasty sting. :eek:

That sting is there to remind you to pay better attention the next time you shave so as not to cut yourself.:a45:

Besides, it will add hair to your chest!! (as my father used to say)

I'd get a styptic. I'd like to say I cut myself less with a DE than when I used a cartridge, but unfortunately that isn't the case. Still, I am doing something with a DE that I never did much with a cartridge also...shaving off hair.

I've been planning on getting one since I started wet shaving.... but I haven't, and I haven't needed it. I only get very minor small cuts that close with cold water with my DE razor.

Its funny a couple weeks back I shaved ( a pretty bad shave I might add) I thought I was done, so I got rid of the blade, and took a close look around my nose and mouth and saw that I had missed a lot. So instead of getting out a new blade for my DE razor, I reached for one of my double edge cardige razor (I hadn't touched one for about a month) and got the last few spots. Well I opened a really bad bleeder, I couldn't get it to stop. Thats the one time since wet shaving that I've wished I had a styptic pencil! Thanks for listening to my story!

Get an alum block for every day use and a syptic pencil for the larger occasional gusher. Petroleum jelly (aka vaseline) is useful for the gushers too as it stops a horrible scab forming, so I hear.

There are also syptic pencil matchbooks available -- convenient and 'hygenic'.

rtaylor61 said:
Anyone here tried Chapstick for nicks and cuts?

Randy

I have and it works pretty well. I've found that a Styptic works faster but as an added plus the Chapstick keeps the cut from forming a nasty looking scab afterwards.

My styptic was a lifesaver last night though after my first shave with a slant.

my firste DE shave was completelly nick/razorburn/cut- less. But my second (today) against grain took its toll and I had one small cut. The styptic pencil was the answer. You never know when you'll need one in DE shaving I guess ... better to have one in case of emergency :001_smile

Get a styptic - just about every grocery store and drug store sells them. Ususally for $2-3 and will last nearly forever.

I used one for the first time in awhile this morning. I usually am a Derby man, but I'm starting to work Feathers into the rotation. Popped a Feather into my HD, first two passes no problem, third pass - against the grain, no problem until I got to the mustache region at the end and must have given myself about 6 or 7 nicks in that spot. Yowza. Styptic fixed it right away.

Top Bottom