What's new

This really hurt

proxy.php

Slammed in my car door last night. It really hurts. The whole top of my finger is swollen, red, and sensitive, after 24 hours. Is there any way expedite the healing?

If you poke a hole through your nail and drain the fluid underneath it'll feel loads better. You can do this by heating the pointy end of a safety pin until it's red hot then touching it to the bruised area of the nail. don't push too hard on the pin, and you'll know when your through because all of the fluid will come out through the hole. good luck

Sorry about that Neil. That looks quite painful. If you want to get rid of the throbbing you can also try to run ice cold water over your finger until it gets numb and the pain goes away. This is a method I used to prefer when I was in your situation. Good luck and heal quick. Regards, Nick

In addition to poking the hole to drain the blood/fluid, it seems like it might be a decient idea to put a tiny dab of super glue over it to try to keep it from becoming infected once it's been opened.

If you poke a hole through your nail and drain the fluid underneath it'll feel loads better. You can do this by heating the pointy end of a safety pin until it's red hot then touching it to the bruised area of the nail. don't push too hard on the pin, and you'll know when your through because all of the fluid will come out through the hole. good luck

I never would have thought of this but I just did it.

I ended up getting a couple of holes open. Some blood did come out but it came out in little droplets, it wasn't a whole lot. It does feel better though, thank you.

Ow. Alcohol and vicodin are both fine ideas, but make sure you don't combine them. As for other ideas: take an anti-inflammatory (asprin or ibuprofen/advil are the most common on hand). It'll help keep the swelling down, and cut the pain a bit.

Never tried the draining thing. Sounds like a recipe for an infection if not done right. Be careful.

I never would have thought of this but I just did it.

I ended up getting a couple of holes open. Some blood did come out but it came out in little droplets, it wasn't a whole lot. It does feel better though, thank you.

I did this once before, & I kept a cigarette lighter and needle with me for several days in case I needed to open it up again. It really is much more effective if you can do this before the bleeding stops, but relieving that pressure is very helpful in the recovery process.

Awww man

That sucks. I did that maybe 2 years back after a wedding, we just parked the car at the bar after the dinner and reception and all. We were the hard-core group soldiering on and continuing the festivities...
I didn't soldier on much more...I had blood coming out of the top of the nail...
It will be a hinderance for the next few months. The nail will start to go all wonky, and if you are like me you'll pick at it, etc...
My right index finger tip is now larger than the left, and it still "feels" different...

Top Bottom