What's new

Where to start?

I purchased a double arrow off of ebay a few weeks ago. According to the description, it was already good for shaving purposes. I had already seen posts to the contrary, but I figured I would take a shot. I received the razor, and it was not shave ready. I stopped it a couple hundred times over two days on linen and leather. Apparently, it still needs to be made "shave ready".

Now, I do have an interest in straight shaving. However, I was trying to keep my costs to a minimum. That is why I bought the razor I did in the first place. My brother gave me a strop that he never really used. So, my cost off the bat is $14.

I have ready article after article about honing. However, all of the materials that everybody refers to are pretty costly. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I do not know that I will keep up with. I could send it off to be honed, but it doesn't make sense to pay more to have it honed than it did to purchase it in the first place. So, at this point, I'm not sure what to do.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on honing equipment. I don't want to pay for somebody else to hone the razor. I just want to see whether I like straight razor shaving without much cash outlay. So, what are my options at this point? Thanks.

It does not appear that this part of the forum sees much action. Would I be better posting in a different section to get more responses?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on honing equipment. I don't want to pay for somebody else to hone the razor. I just want to see whether I like straight razor shaving without much cash outlay. So, what are my options at this point? Thanks.

If you don't want to spend anymore money your options are limited. The only thing that you can do is barrow a razor from someone who lives close to you (no shipping cost). Other than that you can just try to sell you razor on E-Bay.

It does not appear that this part of the forum sees much action. Would I be better posting in a different section to get more responses?
You're in the right forum section for the question.

Nobody, probably, wants to say that you'll need to sharpen it by getting some hones or sending it out. Your first post kinda' eliminated the top 2 answers as a possibility.

Here are the answers your first post seemed to be precluding: Your least expensive option would be to send it out for around 15 to 20 bucks + postage. Next choice might be to buy some honing film, a flat surface like tile, and practice.

You'll never know if straight shaving is for you until you use a sharp razor.

Last edited:
Yes, that or Pinnacle. The diamond films in the linked post is probably more durable and nicer than the Pinnacle films.

Hi and welcome.

You better first tell us how much you want to spend on equipment. Double Arrows are good quality low cost razors, if treated well they can last you a lifetime so it is worth spending some money on equipment. After the intial outlay provided you buy good quality you never need to spend more money on shaving apart from brush and soap/cream.

Get it honed and maintain it with a cheap and cheerful 12 K Chinese hone or a barber hone off ebay. I am no expert on barber hones but a Swaty is always good. You can also search the B/S/T section here or on SRP. Buy a practice strop from Tony Miller. Although it is called a practice strop it can serve you a lifetime if you do not nick it in a bad way.

Top Bottom