What's new

Best Self Defense Knife for your Wife/Daughter/Girlfriend,etc

Well if the two of you are that adamant about carrying, I would suggest considering a custom made fitted piece seeing she's so tiny.

Heck, a three inch blade is more than enough to take care of business.

The Buck 119 is a nice knife if only for the intimidation factor. I use it for hunting and camping all the time.

But as I said in my last post, for self defense, I would get a decent .38 for my girl.

Like all of you, I want my loved ones to be protected so what are some of the best knives for the women in our lives? From my limited perspective I think a knife that slashes well, has some reach, but is small enough for a woman's hands and is lightweight and works for someone who has little to no training. What do you gents think best fits the bill?

Any knife with a handgun attached will do. Are you serious about a knife? Women against men in close quarters combat is not a favorable proposition in my mind. Bettter to get some pepper spray or mace than a knife. Better yet, get a handgun and get her lessons on how to use it.

Any knife with a handgun attached will do. Are you serious about a knife? Women against men in close quarters combat is not a favorable proposition in my mind. Better to get some pepper spray or mace than a knife. Better yet, get a handgun and get her lessons on how to use it.

Your a personal injury layer aren't you......:biggrin:

When it comes to pepper spray fox labs, fox labs, fox labs. It is the best of the best.

As to the knife, unless she is willing to take dedicated knife training, stay far away.

The best self defence weapon is ones brain. Pay attention and don't get into tough spots in the first place, I have never met someone who lost a fight they avoided entirely.

Adding weapons to the mix ups the danger for both parties, better to keep a weapon she doesn't know how to use out of the mix if at all possible.

Unless she has extensive training with a blade that includes some serious sparring, I would also caution you against getting her a knife. In an emergency, I think that it just isn't likely that an untrained person is going to successfully draw it and use it effectively. What's more, I think that most people who are competent on the mat will find that actually sticking it into somebody's eye or throat, or brutally slashing their face or limbs is not something that they are prepared to do. Hesitation and provocation don't go well together.

Get a good pepper spray, and buy the trainer that lets you practice with it. Work up some scenarios and practice so that she gets used to getting it out and using it without hesitating. In fact, if your ladyfriend has a background in hand to hand combat, you should be periodically working realistic scenarios with her. For what its worth, my advice would be to structure this training around how to interrupt an attack and break contact, not how to close with a knife.

Good luck with this. Self defense training is difficult and demanding, and as you can see, there are lots of different ideas about what should be done. If you are really serious about it, maybe look into going to a seminar together with somebody like Tony Blauer?

I know that this is more than you want to hear when you're asking about a good knife--just trying to be helpful.

depends on the size of the blade. Also many states laws regarding knives state that it's illegal if you plan to do something illegal with it.

Unless she has extensive training with a blade that includes some serious sparring, I would also caution you against getting her a knife. In an emergency, I think that it just isn't likely that an untrained person is going to successfully draw it and use it effectively. What's more, I think that most people who are competent on the mat will find that actually sticking it into somebody's eye or throat, or brutally slashing their face or limbs is not something that they are prepared to do. Hesitation and provocation don't go well together.

Get a good pepper spray, and buy the trainer that lets you practice with it. Work up some scenarios and practice so that she gets used to getting it out and using it without hesitating. In fact, if your ladyfriend has a background in hand to hand combat, you should be periodically working realistic scenarios with her. For what its worth, my advice would be to structure this training around how to interrupt an attack and break contact, not how to close with a knife.

Good luck with this. Self defense training is difficult and demanding, and as you can see, there are lots of different ideas about what should be done. If you are really serious about it, maybe look into going to a seminar together with somebody like Tony Blauer?

I know that this is more than you want to hear when you're asking about a good knife--just trying to be helpful.

+1 Very well said sir.....
I would agree Fox labs puts out a very good Pepper Spray. This is what my S.O. carries. That said, she has had self defense training and was Active Duty Chair Air Force, Security Police for three years and I still would rather her not carry a knife.

Unfortunately, without proper training, a weapon such as a knife in a woman's hands is likely to get taken away from and then used against her. If you are truly concerned about your wife or girlfriend, I think pepper spray is a much better choice. Stops the attack long enough to get away and run. Just my $.02...

+1 Absolutely!

I wouldn't want my wife carrying a knife, any knife. For that matter (no offense guys) most men who carry them for self defense are highly likely to have them taken away and possibly used against them as well. A woman is just that much more likely to be overpowered and provide her attacker an easier means of harming her.

A knife is a very handy tool and can be a handy self defense tool but it takes a great deal of training and even more practice.

I've worked on the Emergency Services Team (EST) similar to civilian SWAT for most of my career. One of the first things we teach new guys is how to disarm someone with a blade. 99% of the time the guys are confident they can at least get in the first stab before losing their blade, 99% of the time they don't.

For my wife (and yours/girlfriend etc.) I'd recommend the highest % of Oleoresin Capsicum Spray that is legal for your state. I'd also recommend that you buy more than one and practice with it. The stream can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is important that they know how to operate it quickly and accurately. There are many many options. They come in all shapes/sizes and the range that they are effective to may vary a great deal.

The important this is to buy and train with what she'll be using.

Something along the lines of these push daggers is what I would suggest.
proxy.php

Not much for distance, but up close, a nasty little bugger.

Cold steel makes a few, even some small keychain sized ones with a wicked serrated edge.

hard to knock out of your hand too.

TASER

And, if the taser is lost while using it to defend yourself, they will replace it for free under their lifetime warranty, you just have to present a police report.

Well I'm going to definitely be swimming upstream compared to the opinions expressed here.

Women should (if they wish, of course) carry a knife or even knives. Yes, everyday just like a man. That is unless they just sit in a chair all day with their hands delicately folded in their laps. I don't know any of those by the way. Knives are tools to be used for the countless daily tasks that present themselves for which a sharpened blade is the best option to dispatch said chore.

Self defense (ie. empty hand) is way down the list (like the last) for a good option for a female defending herself against a man. Unless the woman is an incredible athlete, in excellent physical condition (aided by dedicated weight training), and has years of regular training; she will likely be physically outmatched and ultimately overpowered by a male attacker. Self defense seminars, occasional or sporadic MA training only prove to give one a false sense of security. These are more dangerous than helpful. I recognize therre may be the odd exception to the above, but that is going to be pretty rare. A woman may learn to effectively break a hold, but then what is she going to do? The most important thing that a woman (or man) can glean from such "training" is "be aware of your surroundings and have a plan of action". The key is you don't want the potential perpetrator to get within arms length.

Guns, are an excellent option, but certainly not for everyone. A gun can be used to keep the attacker at a greater than arms length, which is the best possible scenario. But to accomplish this means that the user must impress upon the person that they are capable and willing to use the weapon effectively. Otherwise, it is useless and if taken, is more of a deadly threat to be used on the victim than a knife. A gun is not so good of an option in close quarters. Also guns are not inexpensive 1) initial purchase 2) practicing 3) formalized training and 4) obtaining the applicable authority to carry legally. Then ultimately the user may have to follow through with their threat including the taking of a life.

Pepper spray. Another good option because again your working at a distance. But is a terrible option if working in close quarters or even in an enclosed area.

A knife for self-defense is, for a woman, likely a last ditch tool. But I strongly disagree that a lot of training is required to be effective. Much less than hand-to-hand or a pistol. Slicing and slashing movements are pretty instinctive (watch an untrained woman attempt to box/spar). A woman who doesn't even have a tool can't use it for her benefit.

To the question of the OP, the hawksbill bladed knives seem as though they would complement the natural slashing movement more so than other more traditional blade styles which would lend themselves more to slicing or stabbing. As noted in another thread, the Boker/Banos Subclaw would be a knife of interest for said purpose. That is merely an observation on my part. For my own use, I feel completely confident with using whatever EDC knife I have on my person. A woman without a tool can't use it, period. To deprive anyone the chance to use a defense tool because you don't think they can, is wrong.

Women should (if they wish, of course) carry a knife or even knives. Yes, everyday just like a man. That is unless they just sit in a chair all day with their hands delicately folded in their laps.

I'm not trying to keep this going, but I want to expand on my earlier comments a little. I want to make it clear that I wasn't just talking about women. I'm talking about men too. I think that you--man or woman--can carry all the cold steel you want if it makes you feel secure. But when the rubber meets the road, I think that most people won't be able to successfully use it, for all the reasons that I mentioned earlier.

However, I think that the notion that training is unnecessary or even counterproductive, is dangerous. If pilots felt that way, US Airways flight 1549 would have pranged into the side of a building. If soldiers felt that way, infantry patrols would be savaged in ambushes.

Of course, you can't treat training like a vaccination--a weekend seminar, then you're good for life. I mean that if you intend to carry a knife or a gun, or feel that you can react to protect yourself if attacked, you must be trained and you must practice realistically and relentlessly. Most people are not willing to make that kind of commitment. Hopefully those people will remain under the protective umbrella of society--whether the police or the vigilance and forbearance of their fellow citizens.

I don't want to suggest that someone should be forbidden from carrying a knife just because they aren't really prepared to use it. If it makes you feel better, put one in your pocket or in your purse. I wore a miraculous medal for years too--I didn't really think that I would benefit from divine intervention, but I thought that it was worth the chance.

My point is, you must be brutally honest with yourself. Hope and certainty are two very different things. If I really and truly felt that I lived in a place where my life was in danger, I would do what it took to put myself on the side of certainty.

Isn't it illegal to carry a knife in the States? Doesn't that fall under carrying a concealed weapon?

That's an interesting situation. I've got a pistol permit, yet can't carry a knife with a blade over I think 3 1/2 or 4 inches. I simply can't figure that one out???

I'm not trying to keep this going, but I want to expand on my earlier comments a little. I want to make it clear that I wasn't just talking about women. I'm talking about men too. I think that you--man or woman--can carry all the cold steel you want if it makes you feel secure. But when the rubber meets the road, I think that most people won't be able to successfully use it, for all the reasons that I mentioned earlier.
I don't have a problem discussing, but I don't think I'm mistaken. While it is true some people (men and women) are not willing to use a weapon against another person. Those can't be factored into the discussion since they won't be likely to carry a weapon/tool to begin with. That leaves the remaining people who have the mindset to be willing to consider the option. Trained or not, an edged tool in close quarters can be used to good effect using instinctive motions. I won't attempt to argue that training won't make someone more effective. But, if you don't believe that a blade is effective. Choose a partner, give them a knife (not a trainer) and try and take that knife away. Bring determination, bandages, a cell phone and remember the numbers 9-1-1.

However, I think that the notion that training is unnecessary or even counterproductive, is dangerous. If pilots felt that way, US Airways flight 1549 would have pranged into the side of a building. If soldiers felt that way, infantry patrols would be savaged in ambushes.
Surely you don't mean equate the ability to use a knife (or even a gun) to that of flying a plane.

My point is, you must be brutally honest with yourself. Hope and certainty are two very different things. If I really and truly felt that I lived in a place where my life was in danger, I would do what it took to put myself on the side of certainty.
I lean strongly on the side of doing whatever is necessary, with whatever tool is at hand, to protect myself (yourself). I can't imagine the scenario where I would shrink in fear because I might not have the necessary or sufficient training to use a tool at hand to defend myself or my loved ones.

Top Bottom