What's new

Best Self Defense Knife for your Wife/Daughter/Girlfriend,etc

Like all of you, I want my loved ones to be protected so what are some of the best knives for the women in our lives? From my limited perspective I think a knife that slashes well, has some reach, but is small enough for a woman's hands and is lightweight and works for someone who has little to no training. What do you gents think best fits the bill?

Last edited:
I think some basic training along with what I think is referred to as a "kerambit" knife would be ideal. This is an example of what I mean.

Last edited:
The wife happens to offer self defense workshops for women, she's been doing this for over thirteen years now. Despite instructing her students in fighting with widely available weapons (currently knife, tear gas, improvised truncheon and brass knuckles) the basic rule is: self defense isn't worth a rat's *** if you don't know how to use your own body.

An attack that justifies the use of a deadly weapon poses an enormous challenge - and people untrained in dealing with critical stress situations (men and women alike) tend to be not focused enough to make effective use of said weapon. Quite the contrary, bringing a knife into the game often dramatizes the conflict and increases the attacker's will to hurt the victim. The wife knows from quite a bunch of cases where the assailant had been hurt, but not knocked out by the woman - which resulted in escalation, often with horrible results.

My advice: every woman should take part in a self defense workshop that focuses on unarmed combat first. Let her learn how to really kick a guy in the balls, to put it bluntly. There are dozens of grips and moves that the body executes in a much more natural, fleet-footed and effective way than slitting an attacker's flesh and giving him that extra boost of adrenaline.

Only once that workshop has been completed get her to do the advanced training course including armed combat - my guess is that she'll be much more comfortable with her physical strength and agility by that time so that the knife actually might make a difference. It doesn't even matter which one she gets then, it's the technique that counts.

By no means I'd just buy her a knife and think it's alright - it's not. It doesn't give her more security, it just gives here even more stuff to handle in a stress situation. Which can be deadly.

The wife happens to offer self defense workshops for women, she's been doing this for over thirteen years now. Despite instructing her students in fighting with widely available weapons (currently knife, tear gas, improvised truncheon and brass knuckles) the basic rule is: self defense isn't worth a rat's *** if you don't know how to use your own body.

An attack that justifies the use of a deadly weapon poses an enormous challenge - and people untrained in dealing with critical stress situations (men and women alike) tend to be not focused enough to make effective use of said weapon. Quite the contrary, bringing a knife into the game often dramatizes the conflict and increases the attacker's will to hurt the victim. The wife knows from quite a bunch of cases where the assailant had been hurt, but not knocked out by the woman - which resulted in escalation, often with horrible results.

My advice: every woman should take part in a self defense workshop that focuses on unarmed combat first. Let her learn how to really kick a guy in the balls, to put it bluntly. There are dozens of grips and moves that the body executes in a much more natural, fleet-footed and effective way than slitting an attacker's flesh and giving him that extra boost of adrenaline.

Only once that workshop has been completed get her to do the advanced training course including armed combat - my guess is that she'll be much more comfortable with her physical strength and agility by that time so that the knife actually might make a difference. It doesn't even matter which one she gets then, it's the technique that counts.

By no means I'd just buy her a knife and think it's alright - it's not. It doesn't give her more security, it just gives here even more stuff to handle in a stress situation. Which can be deadly.

Agree with this. In addition, probably the best option is the escape option. I would think:

1. First try to get away or draw attention.
2. Second kick, bite...whatever necessary.
3. Consider a weapon last, after all, you attacker may use something against you.

Any blade is better then nothing, mindset is what is important.
I like Spyderco's because of the opening hole, and they have a lot of knives to choose from.

Unfortunately, without proper training, a weapon such as a knife in a woman's hands is likely to get taken away from and then used against her. If you are truly concerned about your wife or girlfriend, I think pepper spray is a much better choice. Stops the attack long enough to get away and run. Just my $.02...

Whitmore is 100% right. Any weapon that requires being within arms reach of an assailant is potentially a weapon to be used against you. This is why police officers are required to wear triple retention holsters in most parts of the country. They are supposed to wear bullet proof vests that can at least stop the caliber of weapon they carry. It is obviously a major concern. Plus, as noted already, most people are not emotionally capable of this level of force without being trained ahead of time. I would almost guarantee most untrained persons would have be disarmed and possibly have their own weapon used against them it they attempted to defend themselves against any semi-experienced criminal. Unarmed training is a required prerequisite, no exceptions! You are putting her at greater risk than if she was unarmed. You are better off with police issue pepper spray. A lot of civillian stuff isn't that great. Go to a law enforcement/uniform supply store. They will be more than glad to help you find what is right for you. Just be sure to listen to their advice. So many have preconceived ideas and won't listen to sound advice. Another option is Galls. Check this link out to see what options they offer in pepper spray.
http://www.galls.com/category2.html?assort=general_catalog&cat=3031
This is what my wife carries. Good luck!

Another vote for pepper spray. Spray and run.

I would also suggest a small bright led flashlight. I mean really bright.

Pepper spray +1.
Buy it at a store that caters to outdoorsmen, though, and get something 20% or better. The stuff that you can get at Walmart/Target/etc just doesn't cut it with people on drugs.
A knife, in a person to person defense situation, is a last resort and only then with proper training in hand to hand combat. The best knife for self defense is anything sharp in the hands of a well trained person. The worst is anything sharp in the hands of someone who has no idea what they are doing.

If you want to get one anyway, go with a hawkbill, kris, or tanto blade with a liner or spine lock frame. The hawkbill blade is harder to keep sharp but is designed to lessen force required to cut things by curving toward the blade rather than toward the spine. The tanto is all straight edges and hard angles which makes for a good slashing tool. The kris is specifically designed for making a puncture wound that does not want to close.

Unfortunately, without proper training, a weapon such as a knife in a woman's hands is likely to get taken away from and then used against her. If you are truly concerned about your wife or girlfriend, I think pepper spray is a much better choice. Stops the attack long enough to get away and run. Just my $.02...

I agree totally :thumbup1:

First of all: Self Defense class.

If I can suggest another option, here's what I got for my sister:

proxy.php

It's a Comtech Stinger, it simply concentrate your strenght in one point. It's like a push dagger, but legal. I also keep one in my coat, because around here it's illegal to keep a knife for SD.

You won't get better advice than this for the cost :thumbup1:

Having taught martial arts I can only ad myself to the list of people advising that a knife should only be carried as a self defence weapon in combination with, at the very least, basic self defence and close comat training.

A knife, unless it is very big and heavy (thus unfit for carry), is not an effective weapon of itself - it is only in combination with knowledge and skill it becomes something to actually rely on.

I would also much rather recommend a pepper- or tear-gas spray (if legal).

I do not myself carry knives for personal protection (I live in Denmark), but if I at some point should chose to do that (thus breaking the law here in Denmark) I would chose something along the lines of this: http://www.fallkniven.se/wm.htm It is small, light, concealable, easy to handle, extremly sturdy and quickly deployed.

Regards.

Jakob

Last edited:
A knife is definitely not a tool for self defense without proper training. A knife escalates a close combat situation and as mentioned earlier there is potential for your own knife to be used against yourself and if the attacker has his/her own knife chances are you're going to be cut, something that I doubt anyone besides highly trained individuals are prepared for.

There are potential legal problems as well, what laws are there pertaining to the style of knife you are allowed to carry if you can even carry one at all. Also you are only allowed to defend yourself within a reasonable level. Using a deadly weapon such as a knife could land you in hot water.

I would suggest that pepper spray is a better option than a knife, it can be used at a greater distance and is non-lethal. It will also likely have more stopping power than a knife, as if your girlfriend happens to cut his arm slightly it just pisses the attacker off, burning eyes are a different story.

The problem with both pepper spray and a knife is that you need to be able to access them, which basically requires you to see the confrontation coming. I agree with Whitmore that a women, or anyone, should learn unarmed self defense first.

Look into seeing if your local sherrif is big on issuing ccw's. A lot of counties will issue them to anyone who asks unless they are barred for some reason. I don't know how things are politically near you but it is definitely worth looking into.

I agree with the oc spray folks. Get them a nice foaming aeresol and that should be enough. A small knife wouldn't be a bad supplement in case the blinded attacker managed to close the distance and grab them.

BDD

Pepper spray or a .38

Skip the knife. It's easy to disarm someone without experience and have it used against them.

Like all of you, I want my loved ones to be protected so what are some of the best knives for the women in our lives? From my limited perspective I think a knife that slashes well, has some reach, but is small enough for a woman's hands and is lightweight and works for someone who has little to no training. What do you gents think best fits the bill?

With my experience I would say never ever give a women a knife period.

Seriously though Tim, if they are not fully trained in the use of a knife as a means to self defense, than they would be safer without one.
If they hesitate or are afraid to us it, chances are it will be used on them.

I would never recommend letting a loved one carry a knife without full training at all, ever.

I agree about all the self defense training and my lady in question has taken Krav Maga classes. She does not have much edged weapons training and the instructor recommends she use a fixed Karambit, but I think like most women she doesn't feel comfortable carrying a Karambit strapped to her belt everywhere she goes and the folding versions, many of which are still too large for her hands (she has very tiny, almost kid sized hands). The P'Kal was also recommended, but I personally view that knife as a much harder one to use efficiently and wanted to look for something else, which I why I turned here.

Top Bottom