What's new

Making a DE blade holder for your GEM razor

Yesterday's shave was with my Damaskeene and a Schick Plus Platinum, again with excellent results.

I wonder if there are any machinists out there who might be able to fabricate a nicer looking clip?

It works! Had a good, close shave with this combo. Will see how many shaves the blade will give :thumbup1:

Three shave down now: 2 in the ER 1914, and one in my British ER 1912. The ER 1912 might need some adapter; it did work but the blade was not held tight enough. In the ER 1914 it works like a charm, without an adapter. I will try some other SE's too. But I have to add that tho the shaves are good and close, they are not as close a good SE-shave. They last about 4 hours, which puts them for me in the injector and Push Button range. So sofar a good SE blade, like Pella, Blue Star or Treet gives a better result. But I am glad I can finally use up my saloon blades :thumbup1: Only 499 left :lol:

I love it loud!
Just had my first shave using the "DE/SE conversion clip" in my British ER with a Personna 74 that already had 11 shaves to its credit (which is just a warm-up for a P74), and it was fantastic! BBS with no nicks or irritation, and the audio feedback is highly gratifying.

Fabulous idea to make a good thing even better! :thumbup1:

One of the things I like about SE shaving IS the lack of blade choices. It simplifies my world. But hats off to your creativeness.

Wasn't it about a year ago that the American Safety Razor Company was preparing to enter bankruptcy and there was a scare over the future availability of SE blades? Anyway, if the SE blade Shavpocalypse does finally descend upon us, this technique could prove a real saver for SE shavers. Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

Interesting idea, but I'm a little mystified by it. If you like shaving with DE blades, why not just use a DE razor? :confused1

For myself, I like the variety of switching between SE and DE, and I have no problem sticking with SE blades in my SE razors.

The idea of breaking DE blades in half gives me the willies. :scared:

Interesting idea, but I'm a little mystified by it. If you like shaving with DE blades, why not just use a DE razor? :confused1

It's not about liking shaving with DE blades, it's about liking shaving with an SE razor but not liking the blades available. Realistically, the only thing being changed is the blade edge. It's still an SE blade (in this case two) that is being loaded into the razor, and, as such, has the same feel, imho.

For myself, I like the variety of switching between SE and DE, and I have no problem sticking with SE blades in my SE razors.

The idea of breaking DE blades in half gives me the willies. :scared:

I just like the idea I can use my saloon blades (half DE-blades for use in shavettes) and it works well, tho the shave is a bit milder than when using a SE blade, as the blade is thinner. Point is I can get saloon blades easy and cheap, and I have no real access to SE blades, apart from the group buys. I would not try to break a DE blade in two myself either :lol:

There has to be a neater way to do this, though. I've built one for my 1912, and the clip looks like garbage. I might try some JB Weld and omit the clip entirely. That should also buy more time for adjustment than the CA resin was giving me.

There has to be a neater way to do this, though. I've built one for my 1912, and the clip looks like garbage. I might try some JB Weld and omit the clip entirely. That should also buy more time for adjustment than the CA resin was giving me.

Or just take an ER 1914 and you do not need an adapter :thumbup1:

Last edited:
It is the 1914, then? I would have sworn I read it was the 1924.

Some one else and me here thought a 1924 would do the trick (strong spring), but the side clips on that one prevent from loading half a de blade. The 1914 (also good spring) does not have such big side clips, so that one does work. So it is the 1914 that works for me. Loading half a de blade is about as easy as loading an SE blade :thumbup1:

not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper than even 'hardware' SE blades. Shave 3 on half a Rapira Super Steel in the 1912 today - great! But I like this 1914 idea even better. That's the year our house was built, so no way for SWMBO to argue with that. :lol:How would you compare the 1914 to the 1912 in general? Do you have a 1912? BTW, snapping DE blades is easy and safe if you do it BEFORE you unwrap it!:biggrin1:

It's not about liking shaving with DE blades, it's about liking shaving with an SE razor but not liking the blades available. Realistically, the only thing being changed is the blade edge. It's still an SE blade (in this case two) that is being loaded into the razor, and, as such, has the same feel, imho.

I'm thinking a new Derby is probably sharper than even the best SE blade. Let's also say that I LOVE the 1912, and add that I have some Derbys to burn through. WIN WIN!:thumbup1:

not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper than even 'hardware' SE blades. Shave 3 on half a Rapira Super Steel in the 1912 today - great! But I like this 1914 idea even better. That's the year our house was built, so no way for SWMBO to argue with that. :lol:How would you compare the 1914 to the 1912 in general? Do you have a 1912? BTW, snapping DE blades is easy and safe if you do it BEFORE you unwrap it!:biggrin1:

Yes, i get my saloon blades at 2,95 USD per 100. Plus shipping, but that is not expensive either. For me the 1914 is better than the 1912. More smooth, more effective. In the Gem/ER range the Streamline and the 1914 are my favorites. And yes I do have 1912's.

Yes, i get my saloon blades at 2,95 USD per 100. Plus shipping, but that is not expensive either. For me the 1914 is better than the 1912. More smooth, more effective. In the Gem/ER range the Streamline and the 1914 are my favorites. And yes I do have 1912's.

OK, that settles it - 1914 it is!

Top Bottom