What's new

Making a DE blade holder for your GEM razor

to me.......this is similar to fabricating a way for a 44 mag handgun to fire a 22 round..... im scratching my head as to why.

For me and yes I know everyone is different, a DE shave doesnt compare at all to a SE shave.

Anything that increases frugality and versatility is just one big plus in my book - YMMV:wink2:
to me.......this is similar to fabricating a way for a 44 mag handgun to fire a 22 round..... im scratching my head as to why.

For me and yes I know everyone is different, a DE shave doesnt compare at all to a SE shave.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Have you ever heard of the.22 conversions for Glocks, Colts, etc? Apparently not only is it cheaper, but it allows you to practice with the handgun without developing the yips: involuntary flinching resulting from firing large caliber guns over and over and over and over....

I am scratching my head too tho', but diffrent strokes, diffrent folks.

A for effort tho, very ingenious.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What I want is someone to figure out how to shoehorn an SE blade into my Fatboy. I am under the impression the rigid blade has a lot to do with the great shaves. Since going to SEs then straights, my DEs never see the light of the bathroom fluorescents.

OK, so I actually built one of these and tried it today - it works better than well - it works great! BBS shave, very comfortable, and sharp! Used it in a GEM 1912 with half a Derby blade. "Real" SE blades DO NOT work any better than this! I'm ditching all my other safeties and keeping the 1912 I can use ANY BLADE in! This is not in any way a sacrifice or compromise - try it you will be pleasantly surprised!

Who would want to try this?

Anybody looking at ways to minimize
Anybody who likes a sharper blade
A Cheapskate
Somebody who recently 'discovered' the old GEMs, but who has a stockpile of DE blades
Anybody who looks a good shave, period!

Wow, thanks for resurrecting this thread! I have yet to find an SE blade I like, so I have all but abandoned my few SE razors. Now the prospect of loading my Damaskeene or British ER with a Schick Plus Platinum or Personna 74 has got me all tingly feeling!

:w00t:

P

Pjotr

I use SE razors because I like shaving with real blades. If there was a way to use SE blades in a DE razor I'd reconsider.

Stock SE blades are dullsville to me, and the choices are worse than limited compared to the world of DE blade choices! If an SE razor is a 'straight on a stick' than this trick makes it a full hollow! I also appreciate how much louder it made the 1912, which has completely ended the RAD quest for me! It's the best of all worlds, beautiful razor, sharp blade, great shave. I got closer with half a Derby than with a new GEM SS!:thumbup:
Wow, thanks for resurrecting this thread! I have yet to find an SE blade I like, so I have all but abandoned my few SE razors. Now the prospect of loading my Damaskeene or British ER with a Schick Plus Platinum or Personna 74 has got me all tingly feeling!

:w00t:

Stock SE blades are dullsville to me, and the choices are worse than limited compared to the world of DE blade choices! If an SE razor is a 'straight on a stick' than this trick makes it a full hollow! I also appreciate how much louder it made the 1912, which has completely ended the RAD quest for me! It's the best of all worlds, beautiful razor, sharp blade, great shave. I got closer with half a Derby than with a new GEM SS!:thumbup:

Yeah, boo to the detractors of this clever idea! :001_tt2:

My clip is assembled, and I'm just going to let the epoxy harden overnight. :thumbup1:

If you snap a de blade in two, a 1924 has enough tension to hold it in there with the stops just getting the edges.

I was wondering about that too: do you really need this adapter? I will try this as I have some half blades lying around (made for shavettes).

P

Pjotr

It's not worse than limited it's even worse than that. There are only one or two worth shaving with. There's effectively no choice. And I haven't missed the 70+ DE blade choices at all because the one SE blade I use knocks ten barrels of s...t out of any DE blade I ever encountered. It's the SE blade, not primarily the razors that attract me to SE shaving. Also, not having yet another AD to attend to I find liberating. It liberates funds for other ADs! If using DE blades in SE razors works for you go for it. I personally just can't see the point. Whatever floats your boat.

Just had my first shave using the "DE/SE conversion clip" in my British ER with a Personna 74 that already had 11 shaves to its credit (which is just a warm-up for a P74), and it was fantastic! BBS with no nicks or irritation, and the audio feedback is highly gratifying.

Fabulous idea to make a good thing even better! :thumbup1:

Have you ever wished you could use your favorite DE blade in a SE razor?

Here is what I've come up with:

MATERIALS: 2 SE blades, epoxy and a little patience.

STEP 1: Carefully remove the spines from both blades. Do this by gently, by prying the spines away from the blades with a small screwdriver or knife. Try not to bend the blades or damage the spines. Pry them away only enough to get the blades out.

STEP 2: Carefully place the blades together face to face. This should be a tight fit without space between the faces of the blades. Flip the blades arround and try to get them to match perfectly. If the blades are bowed or bent start over.

STEP 3: Apply a THIN coat of epoxy from the sharp edge right up to (NOT BEYOND) the notch on the inside face of one of the blades. Lay a piece of paper on the area beyond the epoxy and stick the blades together face to face. The paper will keep the epoxy from moving toward the back of the blade.

Step 4: Keeping both blades together (and all edges even) slide the SHARP EDGE side into one of the spines. Make sure it goes all the way in and keep all edges lined up. Crimp it tight with pliers and remove the paper blotter from between the blades as the epoxy sets.

When the epoxy has set you're ready to go. Snap your favorite DE blade in half and carefully slide it into your new holder. The epoxy acts as a stop. Put the whole thing into a GEM 1912 style razor and start shaving.

This won't work with micromatics or non-1912 Every-ready razors.

What can I say... I really love my GEMS.

a photo is worth 1,000 words. Nevermind found the pics. Thanx, Blade boy

Last edited:
Top Bottom