What's new

Fighting with my Slim

I just got my Slim this week. Popped a Feather in it and started shaving. Well, 4 passes later, and the shave sucked. I may as well have used a butter knife with shaving goo. Three shaves later, and I can't get a close shave in the (1) position.

I have been shaving with an HD successfully for 2 months now. Do I need to get used to the Slim, could the adjustments be broken, or will we probably never get along?

Position 1 is pretty mild.
Butter knife mild.

Try cranking it up to at least 3.

I can get a DFS with mine on 2, but 5-6 is pure bliss. YMMV

The angle of the head on the HD and slim are different. You might need to learn to adjust to your new razor. Give it a few more tries (possibly start with the 3 setting).

I'm no expert on this and new to this game myself but I have been using the
slim for a bit and noticed at the the low setting it was always a struggle
to get a close shave. I gradually went higher on the settings found the shaves
were getting much better. Just be careful, you really notice the difference in blade exposure.
Be patient and take real short strokes. Hope it works.

For me personally I have retired my slim. I cant get a decent shave out of it on any setting. My Fat Boy on the other hand, well 9 is a wonderful thing.

The angle of the head on the HD and slim are different. You might need to learn to adjust to your new razor. Give it a few more tries (possibly start with the 3 setting).

+1 I think that the angle of the blade is the problem. There are subtle differences in various razor heads (especially between manufacturers) and it is likely that your blade angle was just off a little.

Crank it up...you'll know when youv'e gone too far your face will tell as you'll feel it the next day. After shaving with an adjustable for a couple of months I've gone from +3 to a +7. i only go back down the scale for touching up.

1 is basically useless except at one very narrow range of angles. I started on 4 and bumped it to 7-9 after getting used to it. It seems like the 1 position would need a fair bit of pressure to get any decent cutting.

For the Fatboy, I use 7 for the first WTG, 5 for the second WTG, 4 for XTG, and 3 for ATG. I get some of the best shaves that way.

YMMV

I started with my Slim at 3 and found that it was somehow irritating my face and giving me an inferior shave at the same time. I stepped it up to 5 and got great results. Tonight I used it at 6 and got the best shave out of it so far. So as far as my limited experience with it goes, it's possible to really beat up your face on too mild a setting. I would go ahead and try it a 3 or even 5 before passing judgment on it.

I really like my newly acquired slim.
At the suggestion of the learned and wise members of the forum I started at 3 and have gradually worked my way up to a very satisfying 7.
1 of the things that I was clued on with this razor was that when you are adjusting you need to 1st loosen the silo doors/partially open the razor,make the adjustment then tighten it back down.
Another thing is when closing the razor after tightening it needs another 1/4 of a turn to lock it down.
Give this razor a chance and you will fall for it like I have mine.

V

VR6ofpain

Dude, what did you expect from the lowest setting. It is suppose to be mild. As others have said, you need to move up. I find the best advise is to start on setting 5. This is the half way point. Have a shave. If it is too mild, move up toward 9. If it is too aggressive, move down toward 1. You are sure to find the right setting for yourself.

With Gillette Super Stainless blades (green pack), I find the ideal setting for my face is 6. Sometimes I move up to 7/8 and do a quick single pass shave (XTG). Gets pretty close for one pass.

I got pretty iffy results from my Slim until I learned that you have to lock it down by going an extra quater turn once the TTO knob stops. :rolleyes: I have to pull the knob down just a bit to get it to go the extra quarter turn.

Also, the guard bar on one side was bent, and I got a lot more aggressive shave out of one side then the other. After reading up on the problem here, I fixed it with some careful bending with small needle nosed pliers.

Top Bottom