What's new

How should you hold a brush when face lathering?

When I was watching some mantic vids I am sure he was gripping the bottom of the bristles with his fingertips. I could be wrong but I suppose you would get more control with this technique when using a soft brush to stop it splaying across your face. Is this a recognsied technique or am I mistaken?

I tend to hold the brush in my hand. :biggrin:

Seriously, hold it whichever way works for you. I've never paid any attention to the way I hold my brush whatsoever and I've never had any problems.

When I was watching some mantic vids I am sure he was gripping the bottom of the bristles with his fingertips. I could be wrong but I suppose you would get more control with this technique when using a soft brush to stop it splaying across your face. Is this a recognsied technique or am I mistaken?

Yes it is a control thing. Barbers do it to avoid shoving soap up your nose!

Yes it is a control thing. Barbers do it to avoid shoving soap up your nose!
I've been a barber for over 30 years and don't hold the brush the way Mantic does. I taught barbering also and there really is no 'correct' way to hold a brush. It really boils down to what is comfortable for you and gives you the proper control. How I hold a brush depends a lot on the size and shape of the handle, the size of the loft, and whether it's badger or boar or syntex, but for the most part I tend to hold my brushed with my fingertips somewhere between the middle of the handle and the base of the bristles.

I used to work with one guy who gripped the brush handle like it was a screwdriver or mixing spoon and he has absolute control when applying the lather. If I tried to hold it like he did I would probably have lather up the nose, in the ears, in the eyes and in the mouth!:w00t:

Last edited:
I have to laugh at those who claim that a HUGE brush is where its at,, then they have to grip the bristles to make it small and stiff enough to use..
IMO, if you have to grip the bristles maybe a stiffer boarhair or a smaller size badger would work better...

I dont think holding it makes a difference but the way you s-s-s-pin it!! Getting different lathering results by varying speed, I find starting fast and then kinda like cooking slowing down so you dont obliterate the lather and give it time to expand, just like beating egg whites!!

Top Bottom