What's new

Anyone for Espresso?

OK folks: I've been slowly collecting photos for a pictorial on what a GOOD espresso shot should look like. The bitter water that *-bux markets as "espresso" (or EXpresso for the linguistically challenged) is why most people think they don't / won't like it... Gotta admit they have a helluva business model, though! :biggrin:

Here's a few pics of my 2 month old machine with my tried and true Malabar Gold espresso blend. I really like this blend in the fall and winter months. It's got a great "kick" and you just can't beat the monster crema.
Being fresh roasted helps, too... :wink:

This is a 25 second pull, double ristretto.

full

Here are some pics of a shot being pulled:

full

full

full

full

full

Here's a pic of the same blend - but in a latte. The "rosetta" pattern is a result of the pour only (no toothpics or other gizmos). It takes a helluva lot of practice (and the moons to align during a month with a "R," etc. :rolleyes: )

This is what I drink every morning after my "wetshave ritual." Talk about ME time, eh? :thumbsup:

full

Who's comin' over for coffee!! :a29:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. some day when i get a kitchen with some space, i'd really like to get an espresso machine. for right now i have to settle for my bodum santos coffee maker.

The electic Santos or the one that sits on the burner? I've had both and liked 'em both.

Vacuum brewing is awesome (and the results match).:a26:

The electric Bodum Santos (that Star$'s marketed for a while) got a real bum rap... I never had any issues with mine. I lent it to a buddy and never got it back!! (that reminds me... :a6:)

Howard,
Those pictures constitute cruel and unusual punishment. I am drowning in my own saliva! Good grief, look at that crema!:w00t:
When should I come over?

Wow.

I'm with Ron on this one....

I sure hope you made enough for the rest of the class!!!

-Nick

Wow.

I'm with Ron on this one....

I sure hope you made enough for the rest of the class!!!

That's the beauty of roasting your own coffee as well. It's quite easy to supply a lot of folks! Bring it on!!! :wink:

Ron said:

Good grief, look at that crema!

How's THIS for crema, Ron?? LOL There's basically no espresso for about a minute until it settles out. The stuff is like Guinness on a nitro tap!

full

Actually, the shot suffered from a little channelling; but the amount of crema this blend can produce is nothing short of unbelievable!

I had to run out for a coffee after this one. Of course it paled in comparison, but WOW.
I know it was those pics, I had NO desire for coffee until after I looked at them. That stuff looks so good in the pictures you can almost SMELL it!
John P.

howard,
i have the manual (glass) bodum santos. it's easy to use, i just hope that i don't drop it one of these days (knock on wood).

i was in a store recently where a salesperson was pushing one of these "nespresso" machines on me. basically you take a capsule, put it in, and out comes espresso. the results were pleasant, but i think that really takes the fun/science out of making your own java.

The glass model will always have a special place in my heart. It was my very first vacuum pot. Fantastic to watch and excellent results!

It's also fairly economical; so, in the unfortunate event that it does get dropped you don't have to take out a second mortgage (like the Cona pots).

My absolute favorite non-espresso coffee method... vacuum brewing ROCKS!!

Very nice Howard! I love coffee. Unfortunately, I only drink it in the morning or with dessert at a nice restaurant. I should drink more.

Ooohhh, another espresso fan. Looks like a great pull and may I comment that your setup is spectacular. Mine is not quite so nice as I use an Andreja premium and Rocky. The Malabar Gold is what I have been pulling the past few weeks and it does indeed provide a nice kick.

Your rosetta skills are far superior to mine, oh wait, I don't have any.

I have been roasting my own beans for a little more than a year and I purchased my setup about 11 months ago. Between the espresso and the shaving, my wife thinks I am nuts. She does have a point...

Hi Dripp -

I don't know why I only just noticed your post today (3 weeks late...:blushing: )

The Andreja Premium is an EXCELLENT machine, and was actually my first choice. Then, I started talking to Chris Nachtrieb over at Chris' Coffee and he really got me excited about a rotary pump (quiet in the morning)!

Thanks for the comments. Malabar Gold is a great blend. I got a little burned out on it and have recently gone to Intelligencia's "Black Cat" blend for a bit. Good stuff - not as much crema as MG... but then again does ANYTHING have that much? LOL

Here was my shot at pouring a Christmas Tree (for the holidays) complete with gifts... LOL not that great...:blush:
full

Wow Howard. That stuff looks just fantastic!

I drink my usual 3-4 cups of bodum french press coffee every morning and I thought I was living it up... seeing your set-up just reminds me how ordinary my brew is... Might you recommend a good espresso starter kit for someone without much kitchen or counter space and not a ton of bucks to spend... or am I just dreamin?

Regards,

RVG

Beautiful shot!

Is that a Reneka machine? Or a Spaziale? And, who makes the grinder? Thats one that I absolutely don't recognize.

Joel

uofi1963 said:
Beautiful shot!

Is that a Reneka machine? Or a Spaziale? And, who makes the grinder? Thats one that I absolutely don't recognize.

Joel

It's a La Spaziale S1 and a Mazzer Mini grinder. I just have the bean hopper removed... :biggrin:

reginald-van-gleason said:
Wow Howard. That stuff looks just fantastic!

I drink my usual 3-4 cups of bodum french press coffee every morning and I thought I was living it up... seeing your set-up just reminds me how ordinary my brew is... Might you recommend a good espresso starter kit for someone without much kitchen or counter space and not a ton of bucks to spend... or am I just dreamin?

Regards,

RVG

Reg -

I sent you a PM with some answers to your questions.

Top Bottom