What's new

Why not a Silver or Copper plating on razors?

A silver razor could be great against mythical creatures (like Werewolves, vampires or Ouch).

Seriously though, I'm also curious to know why I haven't seen any. Too expensive?

I imagine that both copper and silver would be quite soft and tarnish very quickly. You would need a laquer coating to stop this like gold razors have thereby eliminating your oligodynamic effect. Unless you're planning on sharing a razor with someone who has MRSA I wouldn't worry about it :wink:

My 1921 Old Type Bulldog is silver plated. It's the third from the left. Most of the plating is still on it, but it does require a bit of cleaning to keep it looking sharp. Never knew about the antibacterial property. Of course, something living for a few hours wouldn't make too much difference if you only use it once a day.

Both silver and copper oxidize. Silver turns black, copper green. Then it gets messy. Both need something clear to protect them and that something will wear through pretty quickly.

I've read a few people here re-plate their razors, why not plate the razor with silver or copper?

I was reading a story about how MSRA can live for hours on stainless surfaces but dies in 90 minutes or less on copper or silver surfaces. Soemthing to do with the metal disrupting the coating of the bacteria effectively killing it.

Do you mean MRSA as in Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus?

Do you mean MRSA as in Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus?

Seems more likely than Massively Rough Skin Affliction :tongue_sm.

What's the likeliness of getting MRSA on your razor unless you keep your razor in a hospital? Rather than dealing with replating and the necessary maintenance that goes with using a tarnishable material, how about just buying a $20 Barbicide canister and refill. Just looked it up, turns out that Barbicide was demonstrated as effective against MRSA.

If you really want a silver plated razor, there are many of them available in the person of Old Type and New Improved Gillettes. Also, most of the caps on the New Gillettes that I've seen with worn gold plating are copper. So there you go, Silver plate or copper for a few bucks without the expense and the hassle of re-plating. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

PS: I'd go the Barbicide route if I was really concerned. I do this on all the razors I buy used after I clean and polish them anyway.

Last edited:
All of the early Gillettes were silver or gold plated. When the wagon trains were going across the western U.S. they would put silver in the water barrels as an antibacterial.

Well, i was just using MSRA as an example.

There are other micro-organisms that can survive on stainless steel for days but die in 90 minutes or less on copper.

Brass is also antibacterial, which is why its used a lot for door knobs.

Well, i was just using MSRA as an example.
There are other micro-organisms that can survive on stainless steel for days but die in 90 minutes or less on copper.
Brass is also antibacterial, which is why its used a lot for door knobs.

I guess my thoughts are that since you are the only one using your razor (presumably), then any germs living on your razor came from you originally. Since you were the source of infection, why would you need a sterile razor- you're already infected. The razor would be the only one benefitting from the added sterility and the last time I checked, they don't usually get sick. Obviously you should still follow proper hygiene (clean your razor occasionally) but other than that, I can't see why additional measures are needed. I'm sure your immune system is more than up to handling any minor cuts you would get while shaving. If it wasn't, then your aftershave is likely getting the job done (alcohol, alum)
Given the links between autoimmune diseases and our new overly sterile world, I would think it'd be advantageous to keep your razor as is.
If you're thinking that these bugs are somehow finding their way to your razor through the environment, then they likely have found your body in the same fashion. Now if your razor is being used by multiple people, and considering how infectious we are, then I can totally understand the need for additional protection and by all means- plate your razor. I can also understand the cosmetic benefits- a silver razor would be gorgeous if you polished it to keep it from tarnishing. Just my two cents for what it's worth...

In terms of replating, I think most who do it here are doing it for appearance not health concerns. With that in mind, nickel is probably the most cost effective choice easy care choice. Silver will cost more and both silver and copper will need some sort of tarnish protection.

silver is great, but it will go dark in no time,
and copper, might be a problem,it also rusts nicly, goes blue,

They make silver based antimicrobial wound products: (Silvasorb). I've seen it used at the hospital where I work. Silver's great, but still tarnishes, meaning that you'd want to polish it a bit more often, and thus would want a thicker plating.

Copper would patina quickly unless you gave it a lacquer coating to protect the finish. The lacquer would nullify the metal's antimicrobial qualities by preventing contact directly to the metal.

I guess my thoughts are that since you are the only one using your razor (presumably), then any germs living on your razor came from you originally. Since you were the source of infection, why would you need a sterile razor- you're already infected. The razor would be the only one benefitting from the added sterility and the last time I checked, they don't usually get sick. Obviously you should still follow proper hygiene (clean your razor occasionally) but other than that, I can't see why additional measures are needed. I'm sure your immune system is more than up to handling any minor cuts you would get while shaving. If it wasn't, then your aftershave is likely getting the job done (alcohol, alum)
Given the links between autoimmune diseases and our new overly sterile world, I would think it'd be advantageous to keep your razor as is.
If you're thinking that these bugs are somehow finding their way to your razor through the environment, then they likely have found your body in the same fashion. Now if your razor is being used by multiple people, and considering how infectious we are, then I can totally understand the need for additional protection and by all means- plate your razor. I can also understand the cosmetic benefits- a silver razor would be gorgeous if you polished it to keep it from tarnishing. Just my two cents for what it's worth...

What you say is true. But you gotta agree that it would have been a nice marketing gimmick back then. "Never worry about germs on your razor ever again."
Who cares if no one but you uses your razor, it'll be germ free.

Last edited:
What you say is true. But you gotta agree that it would have been a nice marketing gimmick back then. "Never worry about germs on your razor ever again."
Who cares if no one but you uses your razor, it'll be germ free.

You're absolutely right- it's great marketing material. I think it'd still work on people today- maybe even more so.

Top Bottom