What's new

Hello from Utah

I've been a member for a short time now, and looking around here even longer and I decided I need to say hello. I've been interested in using a shaving brush for about 12 years now, but because of price and too many other things to mention, I never got around to getting one, yet. I remember as a kid my grandpa having a shaving strop in his bathroom (he was a barber in Powell, WY) and my dad using a shaving brush. I would like my kids to have some memories like that of me. Plus, I'm kind of an old fashioned guy. I like the philosophy that goes with slowing life's pace down a bit: using a fountain pen to hand-write a letter, wet shaving, reading a book rather than a computer screen. I'm looking at finally getting a proper shaving brush, probably a Crabtree and Evelyn best badger, and Cassell and Massey soap. I'm also looking in to getting a double edge razor and trying it out, though I don't know which one to get. I don't anticipate spending tons of money on this as I also enjoy magic and that can be expensive too. So, I look forward to learning more from the members here and I hope I can also help others enjoy this art.
I don't know if I'll get a response here or if I should post this question elsewhere, but I've been looking for a type of hot water holder that I saw in a catalog a year or so ago. I think it was Duluth Trading Co. but when I looked into it, they didn't know anything about it. It was advertised to keep water hot for hot lather shaves. It was non-electric and appeared to be either stainless steel or brass. I remember it had a handle and spout and it seemed to be made so it was insulated. If anyone can help me with a name or anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Trader Jack

I've been a member for a short time now, and looking around here even longer and I decided I need to say hello. I've been interested in using a shaving brush for about 12 years now, but because of price and too many other things to mention, I never got around to getting one, yet. I remember as a kid my grandpa having a shaving strop in his bathroom (he was a barber in Powell, WY) and my dad using a shaving brush. I would like my kids to have some memories like that of me. Plus, I'm kind of an old fashioned guy. I like the philosophy that goes with slowing life's pace down a bit: using a fountain pen to hand-write a letter, wet shaving, reading a book rather than a computer screen. I'm looking at finally getting a proper shaving brush, probably a Crabtree and Evelyn best badger, and Cassell and Massey soap. I'm also looking in to getting a double edge razor and trying it out, though I don't know which one to get. I don't anticipate spending tons of money on this as I also enjoy magic and that can be expensive too. So, I look forward to learning more from the members here and I hope I can also help others enjoy this art.
I don't know if I'll get a response here or if I should post this question elsewhere, but I've been looking for a type of hot water holder that I saw in a catalog a year or so ago. I think it was Duluth Trading Co. but when I looked into it, they didn't know anything about it. It was advertised to keep water hot for hot lather shaves. It was non-electric and appeared to be either stainless steel or brass. I remember it had a handle and spout and it seemed to be made so it was insulated. If anyone can help me with a name or anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Trader Jack

Welcome Jack & great first post. I think the container you're looking for is called a "scuttle." I don't use one myself and am not aware of any in metal. But, have a look around here and you'll find several pottery ones mentioned as well as various low cost/jury rigged options. You might also google for "shaving scuttle" and see what you come up with.

Welcome to B&B to a fellow Utahn!

I ordered a seriously large lot of DE's from Ebay. If you want to try one out I'll give you a great deal on one. And throw in some blades and cream, too.

Welcome to B&B! I get the Duluth catalog and don't recall a lather holder, but I;ll recommend a Moss/Bonnyman scuttle for purely keeping lather warm, or a Georgetown Pottery scuttle for keeping lather a bit less warm, but with the added bonus of giving room to lather in the scuttle itself. Whatever you choose, it'll likely be superior to a metal offering. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thank you all for the kind welcome. I am aware of the pottery scuttles. I tried searching the forum and the internet for scuttles but I couldn't find what I was after. I don't think what I'm looking for is actually a scuttle. I was reminded of it because of a post I saw where a member used an electric water heater (the kind used for heating water for coffee, I think) to keep the water hot and then transfer it to the scuttle. That's the type of holder or tank I'm talking about. It's sole purpose was to keep the water hot so one could use it in the scuttle or mug. Anyway, I'll keep looking, I know it's out there.

Thanks again everyone.

Top Bottom