What's new

Aqua Velva is going to plastic bottles!

It seems the rumors are true- Williams is planning on going from glass to plastic on the original Aqua Velva.

Only a year ago they assured me that they had zero interest in going from glass to plastic. Now I guess they need that extra coinage bad enough. For those that aren't aware- the menthol will probably be reduced and supplanted by propylene glycol and/or panthenol. How this will effect the essence or functionality is unknown, but it's a safe bet that it will undergo a major re-formulation. The woman that I spoke to said that when Williams 'Lectric Shave went to plastic they tweaked the menthol count, and that they would probably do the same with AV.

I want everyone that feels as strongly about this to do one of two things: call or write Williams. Let them know that you will not buy Aqua Velva if it goes to plastic. I would rather they jacked the price up a quarter or so then to cheap out and go plastic.

Call: 1-800-431-2610

Write: http://www.combe.com/contact_form.asp?prod=AV

They've been experiencing a large volume of calls on the AV line because of this, so expect a hold time of a minute or two.

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

one word: Hoard

Another thought... the men that care will probably not even come close to outnumbering the men who don't care and will continue to buy it.

Last edited:
I'll keep using it whether it is in glass or plastic, but if it gets reformulated into only a simulacrum of original Aqua Velva, I will have to re-evaluate.

As long as they don't mess with their forumla (like Old Spice), it will not affect my buying habits. I have a couple of bottles now that I'll save with the intent of decanting the plastic bottle stuff into.

If you're a fan, hoard.

I'll be buying a few bottles of the original sport version (the green stuff we can get in Canada)

That sucks, another product bites the dust. I hate hoarding but hoard I must for my precious AV. I would love to think that a consumer outpouring would cause the company to change course but I am pessimistic. Anyone have the link for the big, big bottles of AV? I think they make a 13 oz bottle.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just thinking the other day, I reach for that stuff more than anything else. I suppose I could switch to Boosters, but nothing gets that menthol bomb right like A/V.

I like the glass bottle, but if the ingredients remain the same, that's cool. (pun intended). If the ingredients are modified, I'll be switching to something else.

Maybe Osage rub with a drop of glycerin added?

The A/V sport product is already in plastic.

While it's not the same, Em's Place has "Minty Menthol" which is a natural Witch Hazel based product. Tingles a bit and is very pleasant to use with natural oils of Peppermint and others (remember to shake well).

Does Pinaud Make a Mentholish splash?

Last edited:
Does Pinaud Make a Mentholish splash?

They used to make Clubman Menthol, but (surprise, surprise) it got axed when Pinaud went plastic. Lustray Menthol was essentially the same thing, but that too got dropped recently. You may still find some old stock on the shelves of certain beauty parlors. Don't pay more than seven or eight bucks a bottle, though- it's good stuff but it's not Aqua Velva.

Other products put out by AII (Clubman/Jeris/Lustray) that contain menthol are Jeri's Osage Rub, Lustray Blue Spice (Aqua Velva knock off), and Lustray Emerald (Skin Bracer clone). I kind of like the Blue Spice, it's uh... different. Also plain old Lustray Spice has a lot of prop. glycol, so it does have a slight menthol effect with a vague similarity of scent to Old Spice.

Well I stopped by Walmart and got a 7oz glass bottle while they still have em. ($4 and change)

Smells good! I never smelled AV before. My grandfather always used Old Spice.

I'm curious though: I assume Aqua Velva is made in USA, but there's no country of origin markings anywhere on the product. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
I don't care if Aqua Velva starts getting sold in sausage casings, I'll still buy it and still use it.

Too bad.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like glass bottles instead of plastic ones.
Well, I'll stock up some AV that are still sold here in glass bottle.

I'll be stocking up ASAP, and if they change the formula I will switch to supermarket AV clones. That cheap stuff will probably remain the same, and pretty darned close to the real thing. I'll just pour it into an old AV bottle.

Agreed, why fix it , if it isn't broken. It's a classic loved by many, and loved by many in the original formula and bottle. I sent in my feedback, thank you for posting the link!

I would have thought that the "New Coke" experience would have taught companies not to screw around with established products. Then again, that didn't stop P&G from wrecking Old Spice.

Why do they have to cut back on the menthol when they switch to plastic? Will the menthol eat through the plastic or what?

Top Bottom