What's new

Newly Acquired Shumate Tungsten

I picked up this Shumate Tungsten for $8 from an ad on Craigslist. I know very little regarding straight razors as of yet. Is there anything different in regards to honing or stropping a Tungsten razor? Or is that a marketing term they used back then?

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Shumate "Tungsteel". Treat it like a normal razor. I don't think that any of the scientific-sounding names they used back then really mean anything at all other than marketing.

I'll second that. The razor might contain some trace tungsten as a hardening alloy but probably all carbon steels razors do. Just advertising hype. treat it as any other.

Awesome razor for $8! I have to ask: how do you search craigslist efficiently? I get nothing or cell phones and scooters. Thanks!

Awesome razor for $8! I have to ask: how do you search craigslist efficiently? I get nothing or cell phones and scooters. Thanks!

I searched for "razor" and just searched through the ads. This is one of the few razors I have seen on there though. I did see one other ad that had 5 straights, but the guy wanted $50 each for them.

I searched for "razor" and just searched through the ads. This is one of the few razors I have seen on there though. I did see one other ad that had 5 straights, but the guy wanted $50 each for them.

Ahh. No shortcuts. The payoff was definitely worth it, though. Does that razor have any hone wear? No rust, original scales, and matching box all for $8. You, sir, have inspired me to make an effort on craigs. Thank you and congrats on the score!

Ahh. No shortcuts. The payoff was definitely worth it, though. Does that razor have any hone wear? No rust, original scales, and matching box all for $8. You, sir, have inspired me to make an effort on craigs. Thank you and congrats on the score!

It appears to have a little bit of hone wear. There is a thread on one of the shaving forums about Craigslist razor finds and folks were finding all sorts of razors. As I said, I have only seen 2 ads.

I like Shumate's they are a good shaving razor, my first straight was one, that one looks mighty fine but for what you paid I would say you did very good, now get it honed and stropped and in use.

Top Bottom