Thread: Good Straight razor?

Default Good Straight razor?

Hey everyone,

Definetely a "newb" here and to the world of straight edge shaving. I've been lurking for a bit and have to say that there is a wealth of information here along with a great group of helpful people!

Im looking to purchase my first straight razor and along with any reccomendations was wondering if the razors on XXXXXX are any good or I guess I should ask if they would be any good for me as a first time user? I am trying to stay under $100 so if there are better razors out there that anyone can reccomend I would appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jim; 02-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.

No. http://www.ruprazor.com/store/index.php (a member here) wil sort you out. All you need to get started is a shave-ready razor (new razors are not shave-ready even if stated otherwise on the box/leaflet/brochure) and a strop.

Steer clear of cheap stuff or you'll buy twice.
    Last edited by Kees; 02-19-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Images

I think you would be much better off looking at a new Dovo or TI. You can check out some Dovos at Vintageblades and TIs at Classicshaving or Rasurpur.

All of these shops offer a pre-honing option to ensure that your razor is actually shave-ready when it gets to you. I recently bought a TI from Rasurpur and Dovo from Vintageblades and had a great buying experiences at each place.

You can also keep an eye on the B/S/T forum here at B&B as some very good reasonably priced straight razors often come up for sale.
    Chris

Images

or even something like a restored vintage Shumate like this one.
    <shameless plug>
    http://www.razorrestorations.com/Str...es_Barber.html
    </shameless plug>

Quote Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
    <shameless plug>
    </shameless plug>
    How much for the W&B

Venus World Wide is out of Pakistan. I sampled one, would sharpen to an edge. It didn't survive the first pass on on cheek.
    God is Good, He watches over me, I use a straight razor.

Images

Default Straight or shavettes Difference

So i have been very interested in trying a straight but not sure what all I need. Can someone explain to me, are Shavettes, something that will take a DE blade? Is that what makes it a bit simpler than a straight, not to have to hone it? Also if you buy a shave ready straight, how often you have to hone it to maintain it once you get it Pre-honed?

I hope to buy 1 that will be good so I am not tempted to add to the collection. Those who know of my Brush AD, specially with Plisson will know I dont need a Straight Razor AD.

Thanks a lot

Ameet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kees View Post
    No. http://www.ruprazor.com/store/index.php (a member here) wil sort you out. All you need to get started is a shave-ready razor (new razors are not shave-ready even if stated otherwise on the box/leaflet/brochure) and a strop.

Steer clear of cheap stuff or you'll buy twice.
    +1 on Kenrup for good shave ready razors, and he sells decent priced strops too

Quote Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
    <shameless plug>
    </shameless plug>
    that's a nice razor too and very good price

Quote Originally Posted by ameetmedi View Post
    So i have been very interested in trying a straight but not sure what all I need. Can someone explain to me, are Shavettes, something that will take a DE blade? Is that what makes it a bit simpler than a straight, not to have to hone it? Also if you buy a shave ready straight, how often you have to hone it to maintain it once you get it Pre-honed?

I hope to buy 1 that will be good so I am not tempted to add to the collection. Those who know of my Brush AD, specially with Plisson will know I dont need a Straight Razor AD.

Thanks a lot

Ameet
    shavettes take either DE blades of certain types or disposable blades designed just for them, they are sharper then a regular straight as you always have a fresh blade no stropping but are quite unforgiving and definitely not the same thing, a pre sharpened staight properly stropped should last a couple months anyhow get 2 of them and a paddle strop for touch ups and it could be up to a year before they would need rehoned again
    Jim