What's new

Your Style

Man I feel like a looser.:rolleyes: Jeans, a plain t-shirt, rainbow flip flops and I'm good to go. The flip flops probably cost more than the jeans and the shirt.:biggrin:

I'm with you.

I consider my style to be "no style" (like Bruce Lee). I'm into ultra casual.

Jeans and a button front shirt - flannel in the winter, cotton in the spring/summer/fall. My physique (or lack thereof) doesn't really permit me to wear t-shirts or anything pullover.

In the winter, I wear Land's End squall boots for shoes because of the snow, ice, and general slop. In the summer, Sperry Topsiders or blue Rockport boat shoes. I did score a couple of pairs of Lacoste sneakers on closeout to wear this spring/summer - after the snow melts and all the winter slop dries up. I have a pair of Chaps sneakers for dog walking and dog park (machine washable if I step in you-know-what).

I've been able to get by without wearing a suit for a couple years. Now, I only wear them to weddings, funerals, and Bar Mitzvah's.

Back in the day, when dress up was required for work, I wore suits, ties, had a different set of braces for each suit, custom tailored shirts so they would fit decently (as I'm in between standard sizes), and enough dress shoes to never wear the same pair more than once a week. It was nice, but I'm much more comfortable these days and I have money to spend on RAD, SBAD, SSAD, and SCAD.

Eclectic here. The lions share of time I wear scrubs and sneaks. Hard to find a work outfit more casual than that. Approx. 3 days a month it's ACU's or PT's and when I finally get me time usually jeans, t's, and boots, either Doc's , or timberlands. For some reason I don't wear as many ballcaps as I used to, probably trying to show off my hair while I still have it.

You could also call me pretty preppy. During the winter it's chinos, long-sleeved Polo or button-down, boots or Sperry Topsiders. During the summer, it's chino shorts, short-sleeved Polo shirt, Birkenstocks or Sperrys. Classic brown leather jeans belt, nothing fancy there.

V

VR6ofpain

I recently got into loafers. I got two pairs within one month. Both are more "current" in design, being slightly elongated and square toe. One is Allen Edmonds, the other is a "Penny" done by To Boot NY.

AE:
proxy.php

To Boot:
proxy.php

I was introduced to Robert Talbott ties about a year ago and love them deeply. Still hand made, they tie like a dream and look rich. On the down side, the Best of Class ties I like retail for about $125, which makes me wince.

I've found that Nordtrom Rack carries these at a steep discount and I've gotten some very good deals on new ties on ebay. I spend anywhere from $15-30 for new BOC Talbott's. Give that a try to flash up a more professional wardrobe.

Yeah I would say that you pretty much got them all. I love to find Great company's at Goodwill stores. (especially Lacoste they have some great polos) But I cant every seem to find sales for J. crew. Any idea where i can get good prices for their clothing??

Check out Overstock.com. I just got a very nice J Crew corduroy jacket for about $45 a few weeks back.

I'm a man in black, not a goth, but I like to wear black (and I have no talent to match colors). I wash all my clothes at the same time, with cold water.

For the pants, whatever I can find that fits. I have hard time to find pants because I'm so slim. I wear 28 and most stores don't keep under 32.

Tops: it goes from metal band t-shirts to polos and shirts, but mostly shirts of different styles.

Feet: I always wear leather boots, with your pants over them, even good old Doc Martens can look classy. In the winter I wear a pair of Anfibio. I got them cheap since the model was discontinued (read: they changed the sole pattern and nothing else).

Last edited:
I'm a man in black, not a goth, but I like to wear black (and I have no talent to match colors). I wash all my clothes at the same time, with cold water.

I also have no talent for matching colors ... so I keep my wardrobe simple. I can reach into my closet blindfolded and pick stuff at random and have a pretty good chance it will go together. My dress-up clothes are all Ralph Lauren now, so I let the designer do the matching for me.

The most purposeful matching I've done recently was last Saturday. I picked out a Red shirt for Valentine's Day. My girlfriend was impressed. Even my bartender noticed that I picked the correct tie to go with the red shirt ... and I had to look through 40+ ties to find the right one.

For the pants, whatever I can find that fits. I have hard time to find pants because I'm so slim. I wear 28 and most stores don't keep under 32.
Same here. I'm wearing 32-inch waist, and even those can be a little loose on me at times. Finding the right size in retail stores is tough.

Tops: it goes from metal band t-shirts to polos and shirts, but mostly shirts of different styles.
I favor long-sleeve Oxford shirts, solid colors.

My friends at work asked me why I always wear long-sleeve shirts, even on the hottest days of summer. I replied "I want to cover up my prison tattoos. Y'know ... Gang affiliations. Bloods on this side. Crips over here."

Seriously, though ... I wear long sleeves because I have very thin arms, and I think it looks classier to wear long sleeves, especially if I flip up the cuffs in a pseudo-French style. And they are no hotter in summer than a short-sleeve shirt, since they keep the sun from beating down on me.
Feet: I always wear leather boots, with your pants over them, even good old Doc Martens can look classy. In the winter I wear a pair of Anfibio. I got them cheap since the model was discontinued (read: they changed the sole pattern and nothing else).
RedWings for me ... I bought a pair of $165 work boots when I started this job. Fell in love with the comfort ... so much so that I was even wearing them during my days off. I went back to RedWing several months ago and bought dress shoes to wear clubbing and schmaying around at the mall. They were from the clearance shelf, so I only paid $50 for a $120 pair.

I'm an eccentric academic, and will likely remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Jeans with holes in them in various places, jackets of various kinds, t-shirts with various slogans, band logos, and images on them, combat boots, wallet chains, mohawks, tattoos, and piercings.

Not what one might wear to a gathering of polite society, but it garners quite the interesting conversation around campus.

Most days you'll find me in a pair of leather boots w/ skull & cross-bone buckles, a leather motorcycle jacket, military surplus combat pants or cutoffs in black or tan, and a plain t-shirt, sometimes with some symbolic logo or a band i like. mirrored aviator shades with a freshly trimmed & dyed Mohawk.

i haven't got started shaving my hawk out with a DE or straight... but soon! I'm waiting to get a solid no questions handle on shaving my face before i start on my head.

i used to dress in a fancy 3 piece Italian suit every day when i ran an office, but it wasn't really for me. folks give me looks at times, but I'll go out of my way to be polite and kind in return.

i love the look of shock and surprise on the faces of the elderly when i hold the door for them, boy, that just makes my day when that frown turns into a smile.

I only wear suits when meeting with clients. Mainly Brooks Brothers and Hart Schaffner Marx suits. I also have other brands that escape me at this time. Evenings out with the girlfriend, I wear sport coats and slacks. All other times, I wear levis and cowboy boots.

What he said but I'll pass on the cowboy boots and add engineer boots or sneaks....:biggrin:

Last edited:
Proud member of the working class...levis with a 1" cuff, white tees and pendletons, and on the weekends a pair of red old school mid top vans (during the week it's steel toe boots for work)...never was a suit guy (not that there's anything wrong with that :cool:)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No matter what designer label you choose, be consistent and congruent. Don't wear a Tommy Hilfiger shirt with Calvin Klein pants and a Ralph Lauren sweater ... go for Tommy/Tommy/Tommy or Calvin/Calvin/Calvin or Ralph/Ralph/Ralph.

I would suggest that you DO mix things up, actually! You want to look like you have an ecclectic wardrobe, that you don't slavishly adhere to one designer, and that you can put together your own outfit without merely going to the store, pointing at a manequin, and saying "Gimme one of those outfits."

:001_rolle

I would suggest that you DO mix things up, actually! You want to look like you have an ecclectic wardrobe, that you don't slavishly adhere to one designer, and that you can put together your own outfit without merely going to the store, pointing at a manequin, and saying "Gimme one of those outfits."

:001_rolle

+1. You don't want to look like "brand x" is your corporate sponsor, unless "brand x" really is your corporate sponsor.

The best advice I can give is to find a very good tailor, there's no substitute for a great tailor. I'm classic preppy but prefer European cut suits.

My style consists of 501 straight leg jeans EVERY DAY, except summer when I do the cargo shorts. Shirts are long or short sleeve casual, usually stripes or solids. I rarely wear prints. Good quality clothes that aren't trendy and won't go out of style are for me.

Top Bottom