What's new

My experiance so far

Hey guys,

I'm still relativley new to DE shaving, But I'm enjoying ever minute of it! I've been working on my technique and been getting some really good shaves. I've also gotten some horrible shaves, like worse-than-cartridge horrible, but I attribute this solely on me. Anyways, I thought I'd give some insight into why I switched and how it's going so far. (warning: long winded story ahead)

Shaving with a cartridge for me was extremely unpleasant. While I don't actually remember my first shave I do remember that I didn't have any growth and didn't really need to. When I did finally start growing facial hair I noticed didn't much enjoy this new chore of shaving. I tried everything to make it easier, electric razors, different goos in cans, nothing made it more enjoyable. If I shaved without letting a few days pass in-between the razor would scrape across my face leaving raw skin and ingrown hairs in it's wake. I had always been facinated with bladed objects so it came natural for me to consider a straight. A barber in my hometown used a straight to clean up the edges on back of the neck, and I always enjoyed the smoothness and feel of it. I just never could justify the initial cost of a decent shaver. Even though I couldn't justify the purchase I still loved the style. At this point I didn't even really think double-edge razors existed, I mean, I saw the blades at drug stores but didn't really know what they were for. I resigned to an endless cycle of sub-par shaves, week-old facial hair growth, and ingrown hairs.

Fast forward a few years, and I land a new job that requires me to be clean shaven. My search for a better shave was renewed. I resolved to get a proper straight and set out to find all the info I could on how to get it I could. Luckely I found Badger and Blade. Scanning the forums I found all the info on DE's and how they gave a far superior shave to cartridges, while not quite straight quality. The convenience and charm attracted me to DE razors. As I read, a double-edge became a more viable option, and having seen a few in antique shops while looking for a decent straight razor for cheap, I picked one up. I also picked up an old brush, that after some reading on the forums I'm almost sure is boar bristle, and a cup to lather in. I bought some Wilkinson blades and a puck of Williams soap, and headed home to shave. I was leary that first shave, having shaved only a couple of days before before, but I was too excited to wait. While I really didn't have the appropriate knowledge on how to use the equipment I had in my hand, I shaved anyway... and enjoyed it! My girlfriend can tell you that I came out of the bathroom with a bright red face, a few patches of missed stubble and the biggest grin on my face. I was hooked.

I've been wet-shaving for about three weeks now and refined my techniques to the point where I get a DFS, everyday, with no irritation unless I'm inattentative. My neck still gives me trouble but I'm learning how to remedy that from the forums. I've upgraded my soap from Williams to Yahk Soap Company's Sandlewood and Amber shave soap (night and day difference). I still really want a straight razor, and I still need to save, but I now have the resource on how to choose the right on for me. I had never considered shaving to be a hobby, quite the opposite actually, but now I've come to realise that it can be fun and, through this forum, a way to meet new people. My girlfriend has outlawed my use of cartridges and going a week without shaving, I'm happy to oblige. Every chance I get I'm looking in antique shops to see if they have any razors, and while I only have one razor I intend to aquire more. It has really become my new obssesion. I'm enjoying this new...lifestyle.

Cheers
Brody

Brody,

It is so cool to turn a chore into something enjoyable! Glad you are having fun with this new obsession!

Welcome to Badger & Blade and to the madness!!! The AD's are on the way!

DL

Welcome Brody, glad your shaves are getting better. It's funny how things change. Before de shaving, I never thought I would frequent antique shops. Now I love to, not just for razors, but for all the other cool stuff in them as well. Have fun with it and again, welcome to B&B!

Top Bottom