What's new

Healthy at-work lunch ideas?

As a network admin, I have a hectic lunch if I stay in the office - and if I leave, my lunch choices are fairly limited. I have taken to sometimes packing my lunch, but after a while turkey-on-rye gets kinda old. :)

Here's what I would like to have -

1: Lunches that don't require refrigeration that I could just stash a bunch of in one of my deeper drawers (soups perhaps?)
2: Healthy lunches that I could pack that don't get completely boring and could be easily reheated.
3: Other interesting and healthy ideas!

So, B+B, what's YOUR work lunch?

My most popular lunch is leftovers, lots of fruit...Today, Refrigerator Stew and a side of pinnapple chunks...

I always have a stash in my bottom drawer consisting of Campbells ready soups and crackers. I also keep a jar of peanut butter.

We have to cafes but as you can see, I am to busy (on B&B) to get to one of them....:biggrin:

Here are the contents of my desk drawers Cliff Bars,instant oatmeal,almonds, raisins, craisins, Tuna or Albacore Tuna, Stacies Pita Chips...
an extra gallon of water...

Toothpaste & a toothbrush (brush before meetings)

I recently started to pack my lunch to the office again....

I look for healthy choice or lean cuisine; I found Kashi meals 50% off last week at Publix so I stocked up on those... I keep some here in the office...

Here are the contents of my desk drawers Cliff Bars,instant oatmeal,almonds, raisins, craisins, Tuna or Albacore Tuna, Stacies Pita Chips...
an extra gallon of water...

Toothpaste & a toothbrush (brush before meetings)

I recently started to pack my lunch to the office again....

I look for healthy choice or lean cuisine; I found Kashi meals 50% off last week at Publix so I stocked up on those... I keep some here in the office...

+1 on Clif bars. They are super dense in fiber, protein, and carbs and don't taste too bad.

One big old crockpot full of red beans with sausage and hamhocks. Rice. One lightly insulated lunchbox (I got one for less than 10 bucks).

Nuke it for a few at work. Tastes great. You can add whatever you like into the beans.

Bonus: So cheap as to be almost free.

If you're eating healthy at home already leftovers are a no-brainer.
It's just my girlfriend and I at home and we generally cook for at least 4 and when supper is finished we just pack the leftovers into lunch sized containers.
Then in the morning it's as easy as grab your container, some fruit, mabe a yogurt cup, and you're done.

Unless you want to eat stuff cold, pretty much nothing "needs" to be refrigerated from 8am-noonish. I keep everything from leftover roasted chicken to salad in my desk drawer for the mornin, it's cold when it comes out of my fridge and still good by lunch. Three years and no ill effects, or I could just be lucky.

If you're eating healthy at home already leftovers are a no-brainer.
It's just my girlfriend and I at home and we generally cook for at least 4 and when supper is finished we just pack the leftovers into lunch sized containers.
Then in the morning it's as easy as grab your container, some fruit, mabe a yogurt cup, and you're done.

Unless you want to eat stuff cold, pretty much nothing "needs" to be refrigerated from 8am-noonish. I keep everything from leftover roasted chicken to salad in my desk drawer for the mornin, it's cold when it comes out of my fridge and still good by lunch. Three years and no ill effects, or I could just be lucky.

+5 here...

I try to do the same ....:w00t:

+1 on Clif bars. They are super dense in fiber, protein, and carbs and don't taste too bad.

I love Clif Bars ... Oatmeal/Raisin/Walnut being my default flavor. They make a similar product called Builder's Bars, with double the protein.

Another lunchtime favorite is Bear Valley Pemmican, which is much better than Clif in terms of providing nutrition. A little bit hard to find, though. I get them at my favorite health food store. The retail price is $1.79, but I buy them buy the box (12-pack) and get a 10% discount. One bar is good for two meals ... I nosh on it at coffee breaks and can make each unit package last all day long. (Eat this every day, and you'll be f*rt*ng like crazy. Don't say I didn't warn you. Mix it up and eat other stuff, too.)

Another good thing to pack along to work is some slices of high-quality bread. Sourdough is a good choice, or something with oatmeal/nuts/honey, etc.

Don't forget to stay hydrated ... I drink SmartWater by Glaceau ... it has all the goodies of Gatorade ... Vitamins, Minerals, Electrolytes ... but it tastes just like water.

Finally, don't forget to stash your desk with a few medicinals ... most importantly, a good multi-vitamin, which you should take at least once a day. Also, some OTC pain-relievers like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc ... along with any other herbal remedies you might like, such as Gingko Biloba, Ginseng, Garlic.

Last edited:
As a bachelor I do my best to eat a healthy lunch, which means packing my own lunch as often as possible. Here's a few secrets I've learned over the years.

--Keep single serving dishes in your freezer. This is the single best thing for me. I usually have soup and gumbo portioned out into 2 Cup containers. This is great if you're in a rush in the morning and don't have time to make lunch, and it can sit on your desk throughout the day and defrost. Also a lot healthier and better tasting than anything in a can. Lentil with smoked turkey and lemongrass is one of my favorites, I also keep cream of tomato to accompany a sandwich.

--Keep fresh salad green in your fridge at home so you can make a quick salad in the morning. If you're cooking the night before it's good to make a little extra meat (like chicken) to throw into the salad. Don't put salad dressing on until just before you eat, otherwise the greens just squash flat over time.

--I don't keep anything in my desk because I don't want the temptation of snacking. Clif bars are good, though, and I eat one before I go training in lieu of dinner.

--I also have a panini press at work. You would be surprised how much a panini press will spice up an otherwise boring sandwich.

Top Bottom