What's new

Featured Aftershave - Pinaud Clubman

proxy.php

Bring out your bottles of Pinaud Clubman, this could turn into a very "adult" conversation! Clubman is an aftershave that continually gets thrown into the strangely negative light of an "Old Man" or "Barbershop" scent. To say nothing of the love of vintage, in my opinion, other than nostalgia, it is wrongly put into those categories. Now my grandfather used Clubman, and was indeed a "country-club man" and without a doubt an aristocrat! And with the notes of clubman how could anyone argue:

"Bursting with the top notes of orange, bergamot and mouth-watering lemon with green nuances throughout... The floral heart of jasmine, orange flower and geranium dance with lavender and is completed with a warm amber background."​

When I wear Clubman, there is rarely even a hint of burn. It goes on very nicely, and I would also say it goes on a little heavy or at minimum thicker than the likes of Speick. Clubman actually feels like an aftershave lotion. Along with the powdery softness, it's that very feeling on application that is such a strong selling point because you certainly can't see where those benefits would come from in its properties and ingredient list.
proxy.php
ClubmanRob (if you haven't already noticed) is a literal encyclopedia regarding the Pinaud line, and has written what I would consider an extensive history. Just reading what he's written gives me the feeling that what he really knows could fill a book. Here are a couple snippets regarding Pinaud and Clubman:

"In 1920, Pinaud opened its American branch on 5th Avenue, New York City. The Ed. Pinaud Building, as it was known, was an elaborate, million dollar construct that opened to great fanfare. Later on in the decade, the Great Depression had little effect on the Pinaud company as they were known mainly for their high dollar perfumes, which most of their customer base could still afford. It wasn't until 1933 that Pinaud began to reach the "common man" with their introduction of the low priced, re-formulated Lilac Vegetol aftershave which ended up being a big hit. They also began selling their Bay Rum in department stores.
A conflict of interest rippled between the New York house and the Paris house, as the French distillery did not want to be associated with American "Toilet Water". Victor Klotz, Ed. Pinaud's son-in-law, ran the New York branch and felt that there was more middle class men that would appreciate Pinaud fragrance in their homes than rich, lady socialites. To break away from the French parent branch, the Ed. Pinaud building was renamed "Klotz Family Business Co." which it was known by for many years. In order to still keep their prestigious Parfume heritage unmarred, Klotz came to the decision that he would refrain from advertising the new budget line, instead marketing it exclusively to barbers and letting word of mouth sell his line. So by around 1940 the Clubman line, which consisted of aftershave, talc, hair tonic, shampoo and soap, hit the shops and established itself as one of the finest moderately priced men's grooming brands around. By the 1950's, Clubman aftershave could be found in many homes in the country, though it was never mass marketed on the level of Aqua Velva, Old Spice, and Skin Bracer. It was an "in the know" product; what the fellows at the county club and the golf resort used."

proxy.php

This featured AS is less a call to use the aftershave, and more of a call to use it for the first time! If you don't have a bottle, pick one up! I bought my huge 16 oz bottle for the sole purpose of reducing per oz. the overall cost of my aftershave collection. I never thought I'd like it so much.
Pinaud has such a rich history and there are lot's of different bottles out there, let's see yours… Every time you use it in the next couple of weeks post your SOTD in this thread. Mike and Mark, I’m looking at you! Take a photo, share your thoughts and your own personal history of the Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion.

Great post, Josh. Clubman is one of my favorites! It was my first aftershave splash, and every time I use it I get nostalgic. It reminds me of going to the barbershop as a kid. Can't say enough good things about this one...

I think it may very well be the most efficacious of the drugstore brands, and yes...that includes AV. Clubman was one of my first purchases, and the more I use it, the more I enjoy it. As Josh mentioned, there's almost no burn, and it actually moisturizes quite nicely thanks to all the glycerin. The scent is nostalgic of course, considering this is what most barbers and country clubs use. An herbal, powdery fougere that CAN be cloying (and smell very cheap) if too much is used. I like to cut mine with Witch Hazel to tone down the scent a bit. Great stuff that everyone should atleast give a shot.

classic things are classic for a reason. because they are timeless. because they endure.

the scent of clubman is one of those things.

it's one of my favorite after shaves and probably always will be.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Admittedly, the bottle I have rarely gets used and when it does I usually cut it with water to avoid it being overpowering. Of all the Pinaud line, my favorite is the classic Bay Rum. I have tried the Special Reserve, Lime Sec and Lilac Vegetal and they were all given away.

After reading this awesome review by Josh, I think I have no choice but to dust off the Clubman bottle this weekend and give it a go.

Great review Josh. Thanks. Your hard work is appreciated. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Admittedly, the bottle I have rarely gets used and when it does I usually cut it with water to avoid it being overpowering.

I have to agree with you on this.. I own it but rarely wear it. And I also cut it when I do. Straight up, it just doesn't wear well on me after a few hours. If I cut it with water it seems to keep more of its powdery personality, which is the part I like..

Even though I know Clubman is the classic barbershop scent, it's not exactly the same one I remember.. I think I associate the talc scent more with getting haircuts than the Clubman A/S scent.

Great post. I was hesitant to try this because I had read that it smelled like Brut (which I cannot tolerate). I got a bottle last week and I have fallen in love with the scent. It smells nothing like Brut, it has it's own, quite pleasant scent. My wife likes it too, it reminds her of the way a late friend of the family smelled (knowing him, he used Clubman). Good stuff! I like their Bay Rum also.

Clubman is my favorite aftershave! I have used it since I was in college (back in the 70's!) and it was my staple when I was barbering (followed by Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal, which is my second favorite). Clubman was considered an 'old man's scent' even back in the 70's when everyone was wearing British Stirling, Jade East, Hai Karate, and all those other 60's and 70's equivalents to Axe!

It's a classic that will NEVER go out of style.

I just wore it again yesterday.

I shaved and splashed it on in the afternoon and the scent still lingered until a meeting in the evening, which is exactly what I wanted. I find the initial splash is way too strong, so it's best let to "mellow" for a few hours and then it's a very pleasant and not too strong classic scent.

Excellent post.:001_smile

I love it! I simply HAD to try it after reading about what an "old man's scent" it is-----some of those "old men" had class. Where would WE be without them? I always figure, anything that's been around that long has lasted for a reason. Same with Old Spice. I'll continue to use my "old man scents" with pride! The funny thing is, most people, even guys, probably wouldn't know what it was unless they use it themselves! We can be "cutting edge" by being old school---works for me.

On another note, I also cut my Clubman with witchhazel. Works great!!

Last edited:
I was in a Walgreen's the other day and saw some Clubman aftershave.
Is this the same stuff you guys are writing about or are there different levels of quality?

Splashed some on while home for lunch. My co-worker and fellow wet shaving enthusiast immediately picked up on it when I came back in.. :biggrin:

Clubman, ahhhhhh...... Truly one of the all time greats. It's a fine a/s splash--does the trick--and you know what? People sniff it on you and they like it. It doesn't get any better.
I have a nice collection, but my favorites:
Clubman
Old Spice
Aqua Velva
Bay Rum (just about any brand will do.)

Barber Shop smell? What's wrong with that? Perhaps it brings back nostalgic memories of a long-gone era, or maybe it's just something akin to comfort food.
Old man smell? I have no idea what that means. If by that you mean it's been around a while, so has Shakespeare. The definition of a classic is soomething that has survived the test of time and still remains great.
Oh, I get it. A fair sized bottle can be had for under $6. I guess that means it can't be any good. Well,... some of the scents that I've paid a lot more for (and they line my shelves, getting used only very occasionally,) aren't anywhere near as good. Now I know good is a relative thing, and we can't compare my sniffer with yours or anyone else's, ...de gustibus.... But some of the higher priced scents simply have designer labels on them and not much else.

I was in a Walgreen's the other day and saw some Clubman aftershave.
Is this the same stuff you guys are writing about or are there different levels of quality?

That's an interesting question! the quick answer is "Yes, those bottles are one and the same" the longer answer regarding when different formulations have taken place is something ClubmanRob has up his sleeve. Fortionatly, im under the impression that the Clubman AS hasn't seen a bad digression like the Lilac Vegetal for instance.

That's an interesting question! the quick answer is "Yes, those bottles are one and the same" the longer answer regarding when different formulations have taken place is something ClubmanRob has up his sleeve. Fortionatly, im under the impression that the Clubman AS hasn't seen a bad digression like the Lilac Vegetal for instance.

...And I'm currently in the process of getting the article up on our wiki. As soon as it's up I'll post a link. For the guys that PMed me wanting to see it, write me back as I accidentally erased all my PM's. :mad:

In the meantime, here's some vintage pics:

Over forty years before Clubman came out, Pinaud marketed these smelling salts. They were the main inspiration for Clubman, in fact it is rumored that the Roman Rose salt was compounded into liquid to arrive at what we now know as Clubman:

proxy.php

Here's the very first use of the iconic Clubman gentlemen, a few years before Clubman was introduced. 1933-35 Lilac Vegetol:

proxy.php

And this is rumored to be the very first bottle of Clubman, back when it was marketed exclusively to barber shops:

proxy.php

I used Clubman today, and as always, excellent stuff. However, I have a question for ClubmanRob or anyone else that may know. There is definitely a "plasticky" quality to the scent from sitting in the bottle so long. If I decant into a glass container, does anyone have any idea of how long it would take for the plastic smell to disappear?

but beware my brothers of the skunky clubman....that rare bottle which for reasons unknown undergoes a metamorphosis and ends in an evil whiff of wet badger.

nobody knows why....

be careful it doesn't happen to you!

:eek:

Top Bottom