What's new

Simpson PJ2 Super Arrived Yesterday!!!

After returning from a local nursing/rehab facility late last night (a few hours ago, actually), I walked over to the mailbox to see what had arrived. Along with the bills, there sat a small Priority Mail parcel . . . exquisitely wrapped & sealed . . . with *Leesrazors* distinctly visible in the 'From' portion of the shipping label. (YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :c1: :c1: :c1:

Man-oh-MAN was I ever excited!!! :biggrin1: After carefully opening the shipping box with an X-Acto knife, then quickly removing the packing material . . . lo and behold, there sat the PJ2 in its rather Spartan retail box (reminiscent of the style of box, say, an old inkwell might have come in). When I opened the Simpsons box (after having cautiously removed the white tissue wrapping) I was overwhelmed by the striking appearance of the PJ2.

The first thing I did was examine it for flaws -- and I'm happy to report there were none. Next, I brushed my face ever-so-slightly with it, just to see what it felt like. It felt absolutely 'luxurious' --- with just a hint of stiffness, which is precisely what I'd expected after having read so many B&B PJ owner's enthusiastic, positive reviews. Can't wait to try it out with the creams and soaps (and Moss Scuttle) bought specifically for the task!

THANK YOU, **LEE** - for providing such outstanding service!!!!! :thumbup1: Everyone here who recommended him -- I thank you, as well. The wait was WELL worth it, to say the least.

Here's a couple of questions for the PJ owners in this Forum:
  • Is it OK to apply nail polish over the Simpson decal *and* the imprinted "PJ2/Super Badger" ink stamp?
  • Does it matter in which direction (top-to-bottom vs. side-to-side) one applies nail polish to the decal?
On a far less enthusiastic note...

I've really missed you fine Gents here at B&B, as I've been extemely preoccupied/time-constrained as a result of visiting & assisting my 94-year-old Mother at the hospital (and more recently, the nursing/rehab facility) for the past several weeks, subsequent to her having undergone the extreme misfortune of falling and breaking her right hip/femur in three locations. :sad:

Hope to be back among the group here in the not-too-distant future (or, as time permits, sporadically, during the interim).

Best Regards from a soon-to-be Simpson's PJ2 user.

-Clive :shaving:

Clive,

I'm curious as to what type of hair the current crop of Supers has. Does yours have 2 bands (dark starting from the handle, light from the tips downward) or 3 bands (light - dark - light)?

In any case, enjoy the brush!

Regards,
John

It is safe to apply nail polish - direction etc should not matter - but you'll only get one pass (if you try to do multiple before it dries, it'll ruin the sticker) so make it a quick one strop pass.

joel said:
It is safe to apply nail polish - direction etc should not matter - but you'll only get one pass (if you try to do multiple before it dries, it'll ruin the sticker) so make it a quick one strop pass.
with or against the grain?

:w00t:

John -- My PJ2 Super has three (3) bands: light-dark-light, however, the top band is almost twice as light as the bottom. The photos I've observed on the 'Net simply do *NOT* do this brush justice. As far as comparisons go, and if I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was a Simpson Manchurian! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Joel -- The pathetic excuse for a brush (i.e., the applicator that comes with/inside the nail polish bottle) can only "deliver a sliver" of polish per 'stroke', so, I'll either make multiple passes (allowing adequate drying time between each pass) or, dump a small portion of polish into a small-diameter glass bowl & use an appropriately-sized Purdy brush for oil-based paint (the only brand of paint brushes I own & buy) to apply it. On second thought, maybe a smaller artist's brush would be better suited for the job...??? Please let me know which brush you use, Joel, as you've undoubtedly got the procedure 'down' by now!!! :thumbup1:

With or against the grain?
Priceless, Greenleaf!!! :thumbup:

Be a real man and let it fall off. :rolleyes:
Good God, Scotto! Although "it" is rarely used nowadays, I'd much prefer keeping "it" firmly attached! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers! :shaving:

-Clive

Hammond, would you say the brush (pj2 super) is fairly dense? I assume this brush is not at all floppy. I like my Vulfix 2234 and 2235 but they're just to "floppy" when wet. I assume the PJ2 is more densly packed? From searching for measurements, I take it the PJ2 is approx. the same size as a Vulfix 2234. That would work out great as long as the brush is not floppy. Then it's just deciding between a super or best.

It's sure "hell" deciding which brush to get. If only other decisions were so "tough". :rolleyes:

John

John -- I would say my PJ2 Super is quite dense, but I have only one other brush to compare it to: the little gratis Vulfix that Lee enclosed as a gift in my original order. In any case, 'floppy' is most definitely not an adjective I would use to describe its stiffness or flexibility!

Tell ya' what . . .

A little while later (this morning), I'm going to attempt to scan an image of the brush (via my aging Epson flatbed scanner); so, at the very least, you'll be able to get a 'half-vast' ( :biggrin: ) idea of what the thing looks like. At some point, I'll break-out the digital camera and present it in a far better/more suitable 'light' (pun intended).

It's sure "hell" deciding which brush to get. If only other decisions were so "tough". :rolleyes:
Yes -- it was quite an ordeal ('hell') arriving at a decision as to which shaving brush to buy (!!!).....but I suppose some may perceive it as being 'half the fun'. :rolleyes:

Cheers! :biggrin1:

-Clive

This is my very first attempt at uploading a photo of ANY wetshaving appliance . . . and a 'photo' taken via flatbed scanner, no less! :confused:

I simply placed the unused Simpson PJ2 Super on the freshly-Windexed glass plate of the scanner, then clicked on the 'Scan' button. No props, no fancy lighting, and, as expected, no stellar photo, either!!! :blushing:

The top band is dramatically whiter than is shown in the image below.

BTW - I didn't notice the marks in the upper-right-hand corner of the label . . . until now. :frown: :frown: :frown:

I'll take better photos of the brush after it has been decently "broken-in". :thumbup1:

YIKES! I just checked-back to read the responses pertaining to my 'photo' . . . just to discover that it had disappeared altogether! THIS time, I'll attach the image. Give me a couple of minutes..................:confused: :confused: :confused:

Happy Shaving! :thumbup:

-Clive

Nice brush Clive, and a very enlightening photo. Your brush has a distinctly more rounded crown than the traditional Simpson loft has. I wonder if this represents a general new look for them.

Any observations / comments from other Simpson owners?

John

PJ's and Tulips tend to have a more rounded loft. Also - PJ's are not at all like Vulfix shaving brushes, and are much denser. Vulfix shaving brushes are just about my least favorite.

joel said:
PJ's and Tulips tend to have a more rounded loft.

That might be true in general Joel, but neither my PJ2 nor Randy's (reviewed here at B&B) are anywhere near as rounded as Clive's. The crown on mine is even flatter than that of my Rooney Super. Maybe it just gets back to the old Simpson variability factor.

Regards,
John

The image was clearly visible earlier this morning when I posted it...but, for some unknown reason, it 'went away' when I checked back, roughly 12 hours later. :thumbdown

Looks like one is required to ATTACH one's images, not merely imbed them. I won't make this mistake again! :thumbup1:

Sorry.

Respectfully,

-Clive

Dinder1 -- Now THAT'S what I call a beautiful photograph!!!

Outstanding job, Sir! :thumbup: Darned nice accessories, too. :w00t:

I find the lightbulb shape more appealing than that of the traditional Simpson (English) style. BTW - It's far more pronounced when looking down at the brush, and at a slight angle. Wonder if ShaveMac had any influence here?!?? :biggrin:

Best Regards,

-Clive

Michael -- Great hearing from you!

You never fail to provide encouraging, uplifting, and many times, invaluable commentary to the Gents residing within the Wetshaving Forums. I, for one, truly appreciate your upbeat & helpful attitute. Thank you, Sir. :thumbup1:

Best Regards,

-Clive :shaving:

Michael -- Thanks for the positive feedback. The truth be told, the quality of the scanned image turned out much better than I'd originally anticipated. :smile:

While perched upon the scanner's glass bed, the brush took on a slightly 'splayed' look as a result of bearing a portion of its weight along its 'business' end. :biggrin: Undoubtedly, a 'real' photograph would provide far more dimensional/visual accuracy! :biggrin1:

BTW -- What is your current favorite shaving brush? Not that long ago, I remember you held a very high opinion of the Simpsons Emperor_E3 . . . and probably still do . . . but thought another brush may have caught your fancy in the meantime (?).

Best Regards,

-Clive

Top Bottom