What's new

EDC Knife Suggestions

Al Mar is a builder that doesn't cross my mind often. That Hawk Talon looks to be a real gentleman's "pig sticker". Micarta scales are a plus. I would have to see/feel the profile of the thumb studs. No clip, so it can't do second duty as a money clip. Must be a typo because they show a blade length of 2.75" but an overall length of 6.00". A 6" knife is going to take up some real pocket real estate.

Anyone with an Al Mar care to comment on the "feel" of their blade locking mechanism?

Anyone with an AUS 8 steel bladed knife...How do you find edge retention? Ease of sharpening?

The 2.75 blade is just over 3" closed,

The 3" blade is 4" closed and the 4" blade is 5" closed.

The 3" and 4" models come with reversible clips that attach through the lanyard hole.

I'm no expert, but the info I've seen is that the AUS8 is a decent Japanese stainless that is roughly comparable to 440B (so not quite as good as 440C) - its a decent quality stell used in many production knives. There are some differences between the 440B and the AUS, but these are pretty minimal. I think Al Mar lists their AUS8 as being 58-59 on the Rockwell scale.

The AUS8 isn't as good as the ATS34 or 154CM (Rockwell 60) used in the Benchmade 530 I'm considering. But for my purposes, either is fine - FWIW, Cold Steel uses AUS8.

For me its a combination of the overall package - and this Al Mar might do it -I really like the "Talon" blade shape and am considering the 3.15 blade (4" closed) version. Its about the same weight as the Benchmade 530 and the dimensions are about the same as well.

Its a tough call, the Benchmade has slightly better steel, the Axis lock and a gripier handle - on the downside it looks very dagger-like/tactical.

The Al Mar is a little less tactical looking (even with the stiletto-type Talon blade), has some nice shiny micarta scales (I like micarta as a scale material) which I'm sure will dull over time/with use.

The price point is similar - I've found the Benchmade for about $65 and the 3" Al Mar with the Talon blade for about $85 - so in the same general snack bracket.

Anyone with first-hand experience with the Al Mars? I'm interested in your views.

I felt pretty sure that it (overall length) was a typo on the site.

Another positive for that knife is the thinner blade profile. I say that because I find that food prep (lunch and snacks) are a big part tasks taken on by my EDC. Paring/slicing fruit, slicing cheese and meat always seem to be handled more efficiently by a smaller profile blade.

Nutinfancy has a decent review of the 4" version and he gave it a thumbs up.

found the one on the Eagle with drop point. I think the talon blade with the false edge is more handsome. the British Blades review mentions use more consistent with my job. even to the point of presenting it to open letters and not raising eyebrows.

For this style I like the Benchmade 10700 much better than that Al Mar. And it's got Titanium Scales and cost $20 bucks less.

View attachment 41528

This is where it becomes about personal preference - looked at the 10700, but its a bit bulkier and heavier that either the Al Mar or the 530. Also, its made in China - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just don't feel the cost savings is reflected in the price vs. other Benchmades (in comparison, the Spyderco Byrds are about 1/2 the price of the more or less comparable the USA-made Spydercos).

In terms of form and function the 10700 and the Al Mar falcon are very similar, so like I said, its a matter of preference - and I just happen to like the Al Mar better, but the 530 is still in the race (its not much more expensive than the 10700, but has better steel and is made in the US).

This has been one of my favorites. Light, practical utility knife. Discontinued but still around. Probably more than you care to spend but thought that it was worth mention. You can see by the dings on the handle that this one isn't a drawer queen.

Item Desc: Benchmade 921 SwitchBack Double-Bladed AXIS Knife
Blade Material: Main Blade: S30V Crucible Steel; Other Blade: 440C Stainless Steel
Blade Length: 3.3"
Blade Thickness: 0.12"
Full Length: 7.87"
Closed Length: 4.47"
Handle Type: Anodized Aluminum
Lock Mechanism: AXIS Lock
Blade Opener: Ambidextrous Dual Thumb-Stud
Blade Style: Two Modified Wharncliffe Plain or Serrated Satin Finish
Overall Weight: 0.3-lbs. (76g)

proxy.php

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the various steels out there? One reason I'm asking is I'm very curious about S30v, is it really that much better than good steels like 154CM, et al?

What do you guys think of the various steels out there? One reason I'm asking is I'm very curious about S30v, is it really that much better than good steels like 154CM, et al?

I would say that most users can't really tell the difference. I think that unless you need a specific steel for your tasks, or are a very demanding user, don't worry about it. The harder you get, the more difficult it will be to sharpen, so if you aren't proficient with sharpening, this could be an issue. I think manufacturers use the steel as a marketing tool.

I would say that most users can't really tell the difference. I think that unless you need a specific steel for your tasks, or are a very demanding user, don't worry about it. The harder you get, the more difficult it will be to sharpen, so if you aren't proficient with sharpening, this could be an issue. I think manufacturers use the steel as a marketing tool.
I think the people that won't know or care about the differences are the casual users; those who may occasionally think to put a knife in their pocket and even less often take it out to use it.

A knife user is likely going to notice that his blade needs a little more or less edge maintenance based on the blade steel and/or the treatment. Of course even the casual user is going to recognize the difference in non-stainless (like the tool grade) steels vs the stainless steels.

Knife makers hopefully are matching their choice of steel to their intended use. Though I'm sure a custom maker might become enamoured with a certain steel based on their success in working with that steel.

To the question about which is better, 154CM vs S30V. I don't know. What is better? Some places will tell you Crucible's S30V is a "super steel". I don't even know what that means. I think one day I will own a S30V bladed knife, well just because. IMO, both steels are premium steels for an EDC knife. For an EDC knife, if the knife feels comfortable in hand, and the size/blade profile matches your daily use, then you can get away with most of the steels offered today.

I think that for casual use, once you get into a mid-grade/decent steel, you're fine.

The high speed stuff might make a difference if you're really using your knife a lot or for very hard use, but I'm just looking to slice some fruit/cheese and open the odd box/letter, so AUS8 or 440 is fine for my purposes.

I agree.

For casual use, even carbon steel (like Opinels) is fine.

I never complained about the AUS8 of my Heat either.

Top Bottom