What's new

Astra compared to feather

Just out of curiosity: are you (contributors to this thread) referring to the superior or keramik ?
In case you have tried both, what are your experiences on the difference?

Thanks.

Tried them both and liked them both. IMO they are very similar; a tad harsh on the first shave and a lot better on the second. They go out after three.

Astra SP are great blades but I prefer Feathers most of all! Some might not believe me but I have a feather that is starting to become uncomfortable and I only have 18 shaves on that blade.. Astras are my second blade of choice then Derbys!

Cheers,

Astra SP are great blades but I prefer Feathers most of all! Some might not believe me but I have a feather that is starting to become uncomfortable and I only have 18 shaves on that blade.. Astras are my second blade of choice then Derbys!

Cheers,

My third shave on the last feather was one too many. 18?!

I didn't think all that much of the astra. I am going to try it tomorrow in a slant but if that does not improve things it's back to feathers.

Back to the core of the question:
I do think that there is a significant difference between feathers and Astra. Feathers are quite a lot sharper.
I am not sure if there is anything inbetween these two, regarding sharpness. That might obscure the discussion a bit.
If you like feathers, I can see you not liking Astra.

And yes YMMV.

I use them both ... the Almighty Feather in my Sledgehammer Slant, and the Astra-SP in my HD.

Astra is the sharpest blade I've found beside the Feather ... it does a great job in any of the half-dozen razors I've tried it with.

On a casual scale of sharpness from 1 to 5, here is how I would rate them:
5-Feather
4-Astra SP
3-Crystal / IP / Personna Red / generic drugstore blades.
2-Derby
1-Merkur <--- crappy shave, not worth considering.

(Anybody care to make additions / changes / comments about my blade-rating system?)

BTW, that $11/hundred for Astra sounds good, I'll be needing more soon. How much is shipping?

:thumbup: Good rankings IMHO.

Hey Slaglerock,

As you are in Japan, have you tried KAI blades? Where would they rank?

Very off topic: Are they easy to get in Japan? (will visit Tokyo this summer).

Hey Slaglerock,

As you are in Japan, have you tried KAI blades? Where would they rank?

Very off topic: Are they easy to get in Japan? (will visit Tokyo this summer).

Actually I've been looking and haven't yet found Feathers or Kai blades. Most of the local supermarkets and drug stores have the standard cartridges and canned goo. There are some injectors and injector blades around, but I'm still on the look out for some Kai blades.

Top Bottom