What's new

How did Gillette Know it was 'Old Type'?

Hi Guys,

Just pondering the pics of the Ebay lot I scored for, while I'm waiting for the package to arrive (sad I know!) and notice that on the underside of an 'Old Type' razor box are marked the words 'OLD TYPE' - I'm just wondering how Gillette would have called these OLD TYPE unless the NEW TYPE was released, which then begs the question why were they still selling the 'Old Type' - was it just to sell off old stock, or did a lot of potential buyers still prefer the 'Old Type' and so keep it in production?

Much like Ford etc, wouldn't have referred to a Mark 1 of a particular model - it would have just been a Cortina or whatever - until the Mark 2 came out (and the mark 1 would have been obsolete) and referred to in retrospect as a Mark 1

I'm rambling now, it's time for bed..

When Gillette came out with the New Improved razor in the 20s, they kept the original head design on their low-cost base model razor, hence "Old Type." The two designs co-existed until the NEW design of 1930.

When Gillette came out with the New Improved razor in the 20s, they kept the original head design on their low-cost base model razor, hence "Old Type." The two designs co-existed until the NEW design of 1930.

+1, Well done Norm and super quick too...:001_smile

I shaved with my Old Type Big Fellow this morning. Three passes, and my face is still BBS over 12 hours later. It is a bit easier to cut yourself with one of these, however. I still prefer the NEW design.

Thanks for the info Norm - I'm still filling in gaps in my knowledge..

Top Bottom